1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

Force Crossfire - FPS increase, Dynamic reflections broken(ish)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by daveywaveyHD, Nov 5, 2017.

1. daveywaveyHD

daveywaveyHD
    Expand Collapse

Hey guys, I've just found out you can force crossfire through the Radeon settings and receive a significant increase in FPS. I imagine this has been found before, but I couldn't find any useful threads on it, so here's one for convenience.
    *EDIT* Crossfire enables two AMD graphics cards to be used together, spreading load and therefor increasing FPS

On East Coast USA I go from ~25-30fps up to ~45-50fps @4k with dynamic reflections, high settings.
    I'm using a R9 295x2. This is essentially two 290x cards.

Under the 'Gaming' tab of AMD Radeon settings you should see BeamNG listed; If you don't, click add (top right) and scan, or add manually by navigating to your steam game library.

Click on BeamNG, go to the AMD crossfire mode and select 'AFR compatible', whilst some other options do work, they all have varying amounts of glitching in game and I found this one to have the least.

Launch via the Radeon settings tab and you should be good to go.

I've found that 'dynamic reflections' are incredibly glitchy in game - lots of flickering and a weird instance where the reflections remember their original spawn and persist wherever you go (you can see the reflection of a bridge anywhere if you turn dynamic reflections off and on whilst underneath it).

If anyone has a Crossfire setup and wishes to post their findings, please do - I've only played with this for a couple of hours so there may be many issues, fixes, that could be shared.
    I tried to make some recordings in game, but somehow recorded the overlay over the FPS counter :| Anyway, hope this helps.

If this is already known and I've simply missed this information, my bad.

Attached Files:

• Screenshot_1.png
    • Screenshot_2.png
    • Screenshot_3.png
    #1 daveywaveyHD, Nov 5, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
  2. workclock1©

workclock1©
    Expand Collapse

What if you don't have a AMD...

3. daveywaveyHD

daveywaveyHD
    Expand Collapse

You can't crossfire and take advantage of two AMD cards. I'm not sure if Nvidias SLI works as well/better.

4. workclock1©

workclock1©
    Expand Collapse

Yeah because i have a GeForce so i can't do this :(

5. atv_123

atv_123
    Expand Collapse

What program is that? My Radeon program doesn't look anything like that! Did I miss an update or something? I have dual Radeon HD 5770's.

6. VeyronEB

VeyronEB
    Expand Collapse

Its the replacement for CCC, came out in late 2015 I think. Its miles better than CCC but it was only availbile on the 5770 for a couple of versions in early 2016. All later versions only support newer cards, but its still a worth while update.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. atv_123

atv_123
    Expand Collapse

Holy crap... how did I miss this... I have to go do some downloading...

8. EvilMcSheep

EvilMcSheep
    Expand Collapse

I have an ancient HD 3870x2, ATI's flagship of early 2008!

Don't think there's a way to 'force' Crossfire on these old drivers, but it works just fine running the 'Default' mode on BeamNG.

The scaling is really good, staring from the default position of GridMap, I get ~70-110fps with a single GPU, but with both, it's ~150-190.
    Doing the same on ECU, it's ~20-35 for single, ~30-50 for dual.
    This is all running on the lowest settings though, sadly :(

Interestingly, the Steam overlay was more than chopping the framerate in half and causing crashes depending on the game settings, even when turning things down/off with CF enabled.

This isn't really Crossfire related, but it only has 1GB (effectively 512MB), so the VRAM is easily maxed out on the bigger maps, causing quite a bit of stutter when driving around, so not an ideal card by any means outside of GridMap :p

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice