1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

Force Feedback

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pillojon106, Jun 23, 2014.

1. pillojon106

pillojon106
    Expand Collapse

Since the new update is out, is there gonna be Force feedback on racing wheels? My g27 has great force feedback and I can't use it. So when will they add it to beamng?

2. n0ah1897

n0ah1897
    Expand Collapse

There isn't an ETA yet. I'm assuming force feedback isn't of high priority just yet.

3. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

It's high priority, just difficult to implement right now. We want it as much as you guys do :)

4. n0ah1897

n0ah1897
    Expand Collapse

Awesome.

5. daveywaveyHD

daveywaveyHD
    Expand Collapse

I know it sounds kinda stupid and unnecessary but, will the G27 have a working Rev meter (LED rev things)? I only ask because i suspect the dev guys will be playing around with wheel SDKs and it might get done then. Can't wait for FFB, should add a lot more depth to the game. :)

6. jammin2222

jammin2222
    Expand Collapse

I am so glad that its a high priority, Its the one thing I have been wanting more than anything else to be honest. As daveywaveyHD mentioned I hope you can make full use of the G27's LED's and other features. I will have such a boner when I don't have to adjust the degree of rotation manually all the time too. I have started collecting old unused airbags from the scrap yard to place in front of my face for that ultimate crash experience. Just need to program an Arduino to detonate them according to impacts in game and I will be all set when FFB is enabled!

7. pillojon106

pillojon106
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the info gabe!

8. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

We already have code in there so you don't have to change your degrees of rotation. Any vehicle with max lock under 900 will automatically scale the steering value and match your real wheel 1:1. Unless it was removed without my knowledge, it should still be working. The Pigeon is a good test, since it has a very small amount of steering wheel lock.

9. Petrovsky

Petrovsky
    Expand Collapse
    duplicate account of banned user AwesomeSauce

Alot of the cars' wheels ingame seem to turn way more than the wheel IRL actually, the vanster for example.

10. garyjpaterson

garyjpaterson
    Expand Collapse

I think thats because a lot of cars have more degrees, like 1080 for example. Its annoying to see that the 900 degree wheel doesnt match up on screen, but it doesnt make a huge difference.

@Gabester (or any dev), for the cars with less than 900 degrees, will there be some sort of soft lock in the FFB, so you get stopped from turning further than the ingame lock?

11. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

Most real cars turn far more than 900 degrees; it's frustrating that nobody makes a racing wheel that turns more than 900 :( The average truck/van turns about 1440 degrees, or 4 turns lock to lock. We will implement some nonlinearity in the future so that the on-center feel is the same, but the full steering lock is still there.

Yes, should be possible when we add FFB :)

12. jammin2222

jammin2222
    Expand Collapse

I think the code is in there as the way the rotation works now is not the same as before the pre race update.

The in game wheel hits its full rotation long before the G27 hits its end stop. This is the case on cars like the Covet rally and the pigeon that have a 540 degree of maximum rotation. The bog standard Covet is 900 degree and with the g27 set to 900 this works perfectly with no extra travel after the in game wheel stops.

Even with the Wheel set to 540 Deg the pigeon's wheel stops about 90 Deg before the G27 hits that same rotation.

Here's a short video showing the effect with different settings as its really hard to explain.

I might be doing it wrong but this is how I have the settings in the video. Settings.JPG setting2.JPG

#12 jammin2222, Jun 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2015
  13. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

Yes, the code is designed for you to be able to keep your wheel set to 900 and not have to tinker with anything when switching between vehicles with different steering racks. The game has no way of knowing what your wheel's lock is set to. If you keep it set to 900, any car that steers 900 or less will be perfectly 1:1 with your wheel (until it hits full lock). I believe Live for Speed does the same thing, but it has a slider for you to tell it what your wheel is set to (we will add that eventually).

14. jammin2222

jammin2222
    Expand Collapse

I see, but you cant match the end stop to the wheel any more. There is no way to tell when you have hit maximum lock now, as the wheel keeps turning. Adjusting the settings to match the car puts the whole thing out of line. Did the video help to see what I'm trying to say?

15. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

There will be an end stop in the FFB when we add FFB.

16. jammin2222

jammin2222
    Expand Collapse

Ok, Thanks for taking the time to explain. At least I understand how its working now. I will just set it to 900 and forget it and try to use visual clues as to when I have hit full lock. Its a shame as the end stop could at least be made to work before. I want FFB even more now damn it! lol

17. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

so, instead of slidenodes, it appears the most requested feature over the next few weeks or months will be force feedback

18. Cardinal799

Cardinal799
    Expand Collapse

I still say give the devs a break. They just released a massive update, and they deserve a rest for now. (Asking for stuff wise, maybe not bug reporting.)

19. jammin2222

jammin2222
    Expand Collapse

I thought I read a few posts where people were saying that slide nodes are now working. It wasn't from a dev though so I don't know if it holds any water. If they aren't then of course they sound super useful if you can Jbeam stuff. As I cant Jbeam I would rather have FFB as its something I can relate to more easily. I'm not saying I don't want slide nodes, because I will have fun with all the new content it will enable. Though FFB will make current and future content feel better.

Whatever the Dev's do next is totally fine with me, I'm sure I will like it all, I haven't been disappointed yet. It just keeps getting better and I am amazed at the results so far, even with the new bugs the update introduced.

20. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

it is in the changelog, appeared in the wiki a few days before the release with tdev confirming the wiki entry as not being fake, mythbuster has released a screenshot of jbeamed tank tread, gabester has confirmed it and mythbuster has released an early beta of his toyota mod using slidenodes for macpherson struts.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice