WIP [Archived] Freightliner FS-65

Discussion in 'Land' started by Dummiesman, Aug 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dummiesman

Dummiesman
    Expand Collapse

Neither can I but I'm being lazy atm. I'll eventually have this in game

2. messerschmitt1

messerschmitt1
    Expand Collapse

[SUP]Currently helping Dummiesman get the bus in game. Going well so far. :D

[/SUP] 4527137642.jpg

3. messerschmitt1

messerschmitt1
    Expand Collapse

Working stopsign and WIP basic textures.

#163 messerschmitt1, Sep 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2015
  4. Dummiesman

Dummiesman
    Expand Collapse

messerschmitt1 master race

- - - Updated - - -

More progress stuffs!

5. Koenigsegg

Koenigsegg
    Expand Collapse

freightliner-fs65-07.jpg one in real life

6. go14smoke

go14smoke
    Expand Collapse

Because we've never seen a school bus before...

7. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

It sucks because it doesnt have a series 71 detroit diesel engine

8. Koenigsegg

Koenigsegg
    Expand Collapse

I'm showing the fs65...of course i know everyone seen a school bus but i'm showing a specific model ​#SuchHate

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

Yes, but you can fix a 5.9L ISB Cummins with swear words. Who cares if it produces less horsepower than Belgium? Torque is off the scale at 460 lb-ft. I'd pretty sure that buses are just built for reliability sake.

10. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Exact same goes for the series 71 though. Quite low horsepower figures on paper but huge amounts of torque. Plus its a 2 stroke, and I don't mean a crappy little crankcase scavenged, carburetted, ported 2 stroke like in a weed whacker, its a big boy.
    Fuel injected. Actually mechanically controlled from the camshaft which is kinda neat, but its a 1938 design originally so no electronic systems there. By injection occurring after the exhaust valve closes, you completely eliminate the "simple" 2 stroke disadvantage of unburnt fuel being ejected in the exhaust during the scavenge cycle.
    True exhaust valves, either 2 or 4 depending on exact model. Still retains inlet ports rather than valving those, there is little benefit to valved inlet on a 2 stroke so instead the mechanical reliability of ports in the cylinder lining reigns king, however having a valved exhaust allows for higher compression without requiring specially tuned pipes and also allows inlet air entering the bottom of the cylinder to fully scavenge the exhaust through the top (on the simple designs, having both intake and exhaust at bottom of the cylinder tends to cause the effect of the intake air not fully pushing all the exhaust gas out, some stays in the top of the cylinder and some of the intake air/fuel mixture goes straight out the exhaust).
    True pressurised oil system like on a 4 stroke car engine. None of that bullshit with mixing lubricant in with the fuel for your weedwhacker. It has a normal wet sump oiling system in the crank case.
    The wet sump oiling and larger cylinder count makes the old crankcase scavenging inconvenient/impossible (or basically a cheap 2 stroke uses the piston moving down into the crankcase as a crude supercharger, think about it, its like a bike pump), the massive roots blowers that the hot rodders all used to use, stolen from a detroit diesel as standard equipment. All 2 strokes require forced induction. The cheap ones as I mentioned cheat and use the crankcase as a supercharger. These proper ones are typically turbocharged (which really complicates starting as you need to spool the turbo before starting the engine somehow, that tends to be reserved for ships and industrial applications where they never shut the engine down or vary the throttle) or supercharged. The detroit diesels had a roots supercharger, I think the V16 and V24 models had 2 or 3 and some models also had turbocharges feeding into the superchargers.

Basically you could treat them as a bog standard diesel engine. They took bog standard automotive diesel. Turn the key, it starts the same as any other engine. It has a normal dipstick for checking the oil and a lovely filler cap for refilling it. It was watercooled so you have a coolant tank and a radiator. Came in various inline and V configurations. It was all rather normal (and was indeed in use on old yellow schoolbuses from some manufacturers). But, it was a 2 stroke and it was a monster. A fuel guzzling high emissions monster. 2 strokes using a very similar design have actually been built more recently and do tend to rival our standard 4 strokes for power, fuel economy and even emissions these days so its not off the table for a car manufacturer to release a 2 stroke car with its operation and maintenance indistinguishable from a 4 stroke to the end user, but, they won't. The detroit is inefficient mostly due to it being a 1938 design, its old. I think the only major disadvantages to a 2 stroke car being released these days are a) so many people probably won't understand how the 2 stroke really works and will probably immediately come up with the association of having to mix oil into the fuel etc so won't buy it and b) during the extra 2 cycles on a 4 stroke the engine has a little time to cool, I think a 2 stroke does tend to run a bit hotter so would need better provision for cooling.
    As of 1995. The detroit 2 strokes do not pass emissions standards in the US. Instead they now manufacture boring old 4 stroke diesels and of course nobody does the 4 stroke diesel as well as cummins does.

And that went way way off topic. Sorry.

11. jake44

jake44
    Expand Collapse

wow thats i lot :D

12. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

I've never actually understood how a 2-stroke diesel works, but you have a very good point.

13. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

watch any youtube video on how 2 stroke engines work (trust me, they all assume the cheap/simple style of 2 stroke engine, fair enough as that is encountered most often but means they arent technically 100% true, especially when they start listing pros and cons - particularly cons).
    Then replace the part where they mention the fuel/air mix being carburetted into the crankcase with the underside of the piston compressing it through an inlet port, swap for direct injector for fuel in the cylinder and air being compressed by a supercharger through the inlet port. Then swap the exhaust port being uncovered by the piston for an exhaust valve ontop of the cylinder like in a 4 stroke. And of course as its a diesel, get rid of the spark plug (however its possible to have a spark ignited engine operating in this very same way, Lotus built one running on ethanol based fuels)

14. Dummiesman

Dummiesman
    Expand Collapse

Need an engine modeler. If you're up to it, please reply.

15. TYLERTJ

TYLERTJ
    Expand Collapse

I can't find any pictures for it:(

edit: what engine were you going for?

#175 TYLERTJ, Sep 29, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
  16. Dummiesman

Dummiesman
    Expand Collapse

Caterpillar C7 :)

You're showing one of the most widely-used buses ever. So yeah, we've probably all seen one or even ridden in one :p

#176 Dummiesman, Sep 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2014
  17. TYLERTJ

TYLERTJ
    Expand Collapse

I got you mate ;) I'll get it to you asap!

- - - Updated - - -

DONE! What do you think?

be76982f20.jpg

#177 TYLERTJ, Sep 29, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
  18. Dummiesman

Dummiesman
    Expand Collapse

Looking nice so far. It would help if you could detail it a bit more ;)

(imported from here)

19. TYLERTJ

TYLERTJ
    Expand Collapse

20. Dummiesman

Dummiesman
    Expand Collapse

Well all of the tubing would need to be modeled in, as well as some other minor details. Then it should be perfect :)

- - - Updated - - -

Working on the bonnet some more. It looks even more wrong now but that's the first step to making it look right haha.

(imported from here)

- - - Updated - - -

Starting to look better :)

- - - Updated - - -

Also looking for modelers for bus mirrors.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e9/2005_Thomas_Built_Freightliner.jpg

About the mirrors on the hood. I will provide a file soon with the mount positions if you are interested in doing these.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice