1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

Friction Nodes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Holland, Nov 29, 2013.

1. Holland

Holland
    Expand Collapse

I'm modeling a plane for BNG, and before I go any further with this project. I was wondering if BNG will be able to support flying objects? Will BNG be able to have future friction nodes that will not cause the plane to fall straight down?

Is there currently a way to simulate wings or a propeller, or is this planed for future updates?

#1 Holland, Nov 29, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
  2. LJFHutch

LJFHutch
    Expand Collapse
    Environment Artist
    BeamNG Team

As far as I understand you could just n/b wings and it would fly more or less how you would expect.

Edit: WrongBrothers is browsing this thread, that is so awesome given the subject.

3. Holland

Holland
    Expand Collapse

I understand that part, but my main question here is, will BNG have future friction nodes that will prevent the plane from falling to the ground when taking off? I'm sure Gabe knows.

4. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

Do you mean like aerodynamics? I don't think the game's aerodynamics model is advanced enough to do wings yet. I'm not sure though.

5. LJFHutch

LJFHutch
    Expand Collapse
    Environment Artist
    BeamNG Team

Why would you need friction nodes? Shouldn't you just need wings? It doesn't simulate actual airflow but should be good enough to simulate wings cutting through air and holding you up.

I never got into n/b much back in ror but iirc you had to manually specify what interacted with the air right? Afaik it's all automatic now, everything interacts with the air (except wheels?).

6. Mythbuster

Mythbuster
    Expand Collapse

You can use rotators to make a propellor. The collision triangles affect aerodynamics. So yes, you can make planes, and Miura has already done it(I've flown it, controls atm are a bit... awkward sometimes since it instantly goes full throttle, and you use accelerate and brake buttons to go up and down, but it flies perfectly fine once you get the hang of it)

7. Holland

Holland
    Expand Collapse

So it's done with rotators? This means I can finish the plane and use rotators to make the propellers? Now soul I have to write this is the Jbeam or?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice