fullsize_d.dds wont show up in blender

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by jondfb, Feb 19, 2021.

1. jondfb

jondfb
    Expand Collapse

Im having an issues where in the uv editors the fullsize_d.dds wont show up. Im in editor mode. but it wont show up.

2. den_chik

den_chik
    Expand Collapse

Is DDS even supports in Blender?

3. jondfb

jondfb
    Expand Collapse

Before the beamng update i was able to import the dds files

4. NOCARGO

NOCARGO
    Expand Collapse

IIRC there are 2 workarounds of which I know about for this. Make a wip copy of the dds file and
    1 - set its alpha channel to zero
    or
    2 - save it as .png or .bmp or .jpg file :)

Then in Blender use your wip dds file to put your uv's on.

5. jondfb

jondfb
    Expand Collapse

Thanks how do i make it a wip copy

6. Agent_Y

Agent_Y
    Expand Collapse
    Jbeam/QA support
    BeamNG Team

Copy+paste the file, rename and change the reference in the materials to the new name, then after you are done change it back

7. jondfb

jondfb
    Expand Collapse

ok thanks

8. NOCARGO

NOCARGO
    Expand Collapse

No, this is not necessary for viewing the file in Blender. Just open the .dds file with your graphical program and save it in an other format, then in Blender select the new saved file instead of the one the game uses. It makes no difference as you only need the coordinates of the file to be right for uv mapping. If you can't see the .dds file in your graphical program (even when format is changed) THEN you need to change its alpha channel to zero. Paint.net does not have this feature out of the box I think (it only sets to 0 or 255) . But you can download a plugin for it that is called 'MultiTreshhold'. This is much easier then trying out all codex (BC1, BC2, BC3 and so on...) options. I think if you use Photoshop the feature of setting alpha values is kinda native but I don't use Photoshop so I don't know for sure.

Just to keep things simple : Again, your problem is not being able to see the image when using the uv editor in Blender right ?
    So therefore you need a file that Blender can see. Just give Blender a file of bmp format instead for example, or try to manage to save your wip copy with alpha channel set to zero. Don't change the original texture file if you don't want to make changes to it. Just use a 'dummy file' (as I am explaining) to use in Blender :)

Yes but it depends in which sub-format/codex the dds was saved (BC1, BC2, BC3...)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice