1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.30 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

Game gets laggy when playing for a while...

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by TobiBenzi, Jul 30, 2016.

1. TobiBenzi

TobiBenzi
    Expand Collapse

Hello :)
    I bought a new computer with Windows 10 installed three days ago and I reinstalled BeamNG.drive from Steam. I was very happy to see that it would run on 40-60 FPS. With the old computer, the game only ran on 15-20 FPS. But after I had played for a while, I noticed that my FPS dropped from 40-60 to 15-20 FPS again. After a few seconds, they went up to 40-60 again. When I spawned up another car, it got even worse. So now, when I play for some time (driving around normally, crashing, resetting the car, changing the car, etc) the framerate drops down and goes up again. That wouldn't be too bad if it wouldn't repeat constantly. The time where it runs normally gets shorter every time the framerate drops down and goes up again. This is quite annoying, especially with two or more cars. I don't know if this is a bug or it comes from my computer, so I wanted to ask it here. I started the game in safe mode, I cleared the cache, I changed up the graphics but none of it worked. I hope that anyone can help me with this, it is driving me crazy... :(o_O:confused:
    (I'm German, so please don't wonder about any grammar or spelling errors... ;))

2. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

In the Main Menu:
    • Press F1
    • Go to 'Performance'
    • Press ALT+O
    • Copy here the link of the page you get

Your issue sounds to be overheating.
    When a CPU overheats, it goes in 'Thermal Throttling'.
    When this happens, its 'clock-speed' will go to a minimum, so that the CPU will have less load and can cool down.
    That will also cause a massive FPS drop in that moment.

Open the Windows Task Manager and go in the Performance tab.
    Then keep an eye on your CPU 'Speed'.
    If you see it going down when the lag happens, it's definitively 'Thermal Throttling'.
    In that case, you may need a better cooling solution, or just clean your case from the dust, to make sure there is a good air-flow.

3. TobiBenzi

TobiBenzi
    Expand Collapse

--- Post updated ---

This is the link.
    And yes, the CPU goes down rapidly, when the game lags :eek:

4. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

AMD CPUs are well known to reach high-temperatures quite easily.
    And as you saw, your clockspeed is also going down when this happens, so definitively 'Thermal Throttling'.

Make sure your PC is clean from dust.
    Eventually you may need to upgrade your CPU cooling system so it can cool down more efficiently.
    There are many cheap aftermarket CPU Coolers around.
    For example, I use the 'Hyper TX Evo 3' since a long time, and it's a good improvement over the stock coolers.
    Noctua's cooler have a very good reputation around aswell.

5. TobiBenzi

TobiBenzi
    Expand Collapse

Ok, thank you, I'll see what I can do to hopefully solve that... :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice