WIP Gavril Grand Marshal Demo Derby

Discussion in 'Community Mods - Archived' started by DaxTheHusky, Jan 5, 2014.

1. DaxTheHusky

DaxTheHusky
    Expand Collapse

So, as a personal mod for myself which I will NOT be releasing, unless there is popular demand I will make a version that I can claim creation on.

There was recently a Moonhawk derby car released, so I snagged some of the parts off of it and swapped them over to the Grand Marshal. However, I'm having a few issues on key elements. I've not read any tuts on vehicle creation, though I'm going to. Just thought I'd post this here for turds and cackles. Since I got the image, I managed to get the wheels to show up. However, they're not centered and well, all the exchanged parts are having material issues to where the objects are showing up completely black in-game. I've included both screens.

Since it's almost 1am, I'm quitting for tonight. I'll work on it more tomorrow. If anyone has any constructive criticism I would appreciate it.

Edit -

After a very long and lengthy hiatus, I've started work on the demolition versions of the Grand Marshal. Having renewed interest since the pre-race update, I've begun working on the car again. Refreshing my memory on how to do all of this is a pain in the butt.

Attached Files:

• Demo Derby Car WIP.png
    • Blender Model.png
    #1 DaxTheHusky, Jan 5, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
  2. Frallet

Frallet
    Expand Collapse

Re: Gavril Grand Marshall Demo Derby

+1 demand from me. Currently I use a stripped version with a push bar as a derby car, so I know for sure I'd use it haha

3. thevidmaster

thevidmaster
    Expand Collapse

you should definitly fix the smoothing groups. if you dont know how, select a part of the vehicle eg. the fenders, then click on modifiers on the right selection menu (the blue wrench), then select edge-split, then click apply. repeat this process for all exterior parts of the vehicle, along with the chassis, wheels, and engine

4. DaxTheHusky

DaxTheHusky
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, I had the plans to go in and do all the small stuff like that once I got the main objective complete. I do remember seeing someone say that once you import one of the models into Blender, somehow it affects the smoothing groups. Thanks for the heads up.

- - - Updated - - -

Updated: Smoothing Groups have been fixed. Have to say, it does make a helluva huge difference. Now if I could just get the materials to work properly on all the added parts.

- - - Updated - - -

Hmm. Now there is a new issue. Everything seems to be in order now, however, the wheels fly everywhere and don't move as they should. This is a problem I did not expect. Any ideas?

Attached Files:

• GGMDDWIPUdate.png
  5. falcon xr8

falcon xr8
    Expand Collapse

I want this. It looks good

6. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

You need to raise your edgesplit angle threshold - too many hard angles. Set it to something like 60 or 75.

7. moosedks

moosedks
    Expand Collapse

are the wheels rotating in big circles around the wheel jbeam? I heard that you need to set all of the wheels to 0,0,0 in your 3d editor but I don't know how to do that

8. DaxTheHusky

DaxTheHusky
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the tip. As far as the wheels go, for now I'm just going to use the default rims and tires. Chances are I'm going to be making my own rims and tires. Seeing as most derby vehicles use aggressive tread tires. Also, since there has been demand for this, I'll probably remake a few of the items that I borrowed from the Moonhawk derby car. In fact... Here's a question: Would everyone be interested if I converted more of the vehicles to derby standard? Seeing as that seems to be very popular.

Edited to say:

Remake all the stuff, so I can release this to the public.

- - - Updated - - -

A little bit of an update. Got all the basic parts in with the (what I believe) to be the correct and recommended (by Gabester) smoothing threshold. After a bit of sleep, which I've put off for about five and a half hours now, I'm going to start working on this again. But for now, sleep beckons.

Attached Files:

• Demo Derby Car WIP 2.png
    • Demo Derby Car WIP Rear 2.png
  9. go14smoke

go14smoke
    Expand Collapse

+1 demand from me too!!

10. Frallet

Frallet
    Expand Collapse

Just curious, did you do anything to it that would simulate welded bumper brackets or a notched frame?

11. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

Can I ask...were you watching any of the Mad Max films when you made that car?

12. bunnns

bunnns
    Expand Collapse

+1 demand.

13. DaxTheHusky

DaxTheHusky
    Expand Collapse

To answer the questions in order:

I have not as of yet, though I am intending to do so once I get the mats issues figured out. Which, thanks to help from Gabester, I have. I just need to actually DO the fixes. So yes, it will be as detailed as I can make it for public release. Also will be removing the parts I borrowed from the Moonhawk demo car and making my own pieces. Somehow doesn't seem right to be using parts that someone else created for a public release.

No, I haven't seen Mad Max in several years. Even then wasn't a really big fan of Mel Gibson.

If I continue at the pace I've been on this, I should probably have a beta release within the next few days. I will most likely be doing the Ibishu Covet as well, and if popular demand, will also do the D-Series. Having grown up somewhat around demo derbies, I don't see it likely that I'll do the H-Series or the Bollide, though.

14. monster

monster
    Expand Collapse

demand from me.

some thoughts:

make the frame more rigid
    "weld" the doors together to prevent them from opening
    halo(rollover) bar
    remove the ability of the bumper falling off
    fuel cell and seat bar

bumperss013.jpg
    ^74 impala bumpers, pretty much a staple in the derby world.

I tried going into blender and goofing off trying to mod some things, and it just isn't for me. otherwise i would be working on some stuff for the rest of the demo community :D

15. DaxTheHusky

DaxTheHusky
    Expand Collapse

As you can see, I've used the moonhawk bumpers from the stock Moonhawk, which I think pretty much match the style of most traditional derby cars now that have the plastic bumper covers with the styrofoam impact cushions inside them. The bumpers have been set up to where they actually won't come off the car now, even in extreme impacts. As for the doors, I've situated an "impact bar" across the driver's side door which will, in effect, keep the driver's side door closed. However, I'm trying to figure out a method of "welding" the other doors solid. I did a test and in trying one of the methods I conceived, the door deformation was affected in an adverse way so I nixxed that idea. If anyone has any other suggestions, I'll be happy to try them out.

As far as making the frame more rigid, I can certainly try, though the coding aspect of this is a little beyond my mental grasp at the moment but I'll give it a shot.

The halo bar, that comes up from the inside of the car and goes over the roof was thought of. I can certainly make something like that, or I can go with a not-so-traditional rollcage inside the car.

And I've also decided that I am in fact going to do the pickup and the Covet as well.

But for now, updates:

I have the wheel problem, still. I've set the origin points for all four wheels to 0,0,0 as suggested and I'm still having that issue where the wheels wobble and spin around the central hubs. It's not nearly as bad as before, but it is still there to a small degree on all four wheels. I've also corrected the material errors I was having with the added parts. I will actually be making my own textures for the car itself, from scratch. If anyone has any other suggestions they'd like to throw forth for the Grand Marshal ONLY, please send me a PM with your ideas or requests and I will do my best to implement them.

- - - Updated - - -

Update:

Fixed the wheel wobble issue.

16. shockwaffleman

shockwaffleman
    Expand Collapse

17. Mitki4a

Mitki4a
    Expand Collapse

Can I ask how did you fix them?

18. row_2saints

row_2saints
    Expand Collapse

+1 demand from me, I really like the idea of this car being used for a derby.

19. Nevada

Nevada
    Expand Collapse

Same here. We need derby car versions no matter who will make them.

20. sparkyjnr411

sparkyjnr411
    Expand Collapse

1 Demand From Mee !! the car looks sooo coooll !!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice