Cancelled 1982 Chevy Suburban

Discussion in 'Land' started by sjbphoto, Oct 22, 2018.

1. sjbphoto

sjbphoto
    Expand Collapse

Thanks, and yeah I think imma just try to jbeam the frame before I continue modeling, I just need to figure out how to make a jbeam/what program to use.
    --- Post updated ---
    Thanks! I'll take a look and try some stuff out tonight, just gotta get through school.

2. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Also check this:
    https://www.beamng.com/threads/1994-2001-dodge-ram-1500.58469/#post-943257

You can figure it all out from those links, but then there are always some things that are not opening up so easily, but once you figure them out it is kinda simple, but simple vehicle tutorial helps a lot and of course reading a lot is needed, that is hours and hours really, pretty much what takes most of the time is reading and figuring out how to get it to work.

3. sjbphoto

sjbphoto
    Expand Collapse

When it comes to jbeam, is there different programs that can be used or is there just one, is there some kind of list somewhere?

4. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Notepad++
    Blender (there is at least two Blender plugins that work as I mention in earlier linked post)
    NBeditor which comes with game in path steamapps\common\BeamNG.drive\utils\editor

Last one is really buggy though, usually I use it only for viewing, but if using that make one change, save and close that program, then start it again, it does stop saving after few edits etc.

Often Notepad++ is easiest way and at beginning it might be better as one will learn a lot doing jbeam manually. Keep Notepad++ and BNeditor both open, when you edit and save in notepad++ then click reload in BNeditor to see changes.

This is also useful, you can set color of beams and you can see that from this vehicle, also lot of other things that will help:
    https://www.beamng.com/threads/idealcar-suspension-example-vehicle.23127/

Blender is faster to build beam structure, but it will just give quick start, with Khalibloo's plugin you can get beam structure made much more complete and also it is possible to import jbeam structure with it (bit limited at the moment though), but understanding bit of beam structure is needed.

Also remember one thing, beams are there only to hold nodes in place, nodes are your vehicle and your 3d model is binded/linked to nodes. Beams just keep nodes where you have set them to be, depending beam parameters different amount of movement for nodes is allowed.

Nodes themselves are just dots that will fall to ground if not held up by something.

To understand it better, this link is what you need to study really well:
    https://wiki.beamng.com/JBeam_Introduction

If you learn all of that from those links, you will have no trouble, I'm still learning and probably will be after several more years :)

5. sjbphoto

sjbphoto
    Expand Collapse

Thanks. I was just wondering, I haven't really read much yet, but I've looked at jbeam files for mods and official vehicles before, and it looks like pages upon pages of coding, is all of that hand written, or is it based off the beam and node structure.
    --- Post updated ---

6. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

By hand, mostly, but you can get easy start by using Gavril Roamer I believe, you just need to do copying, then mass renaming, lot of work, but much easier than starting jbeam etc. from the scratch.

At the end though, when your vehicle is complete, you have written pretty much every line again. Remember it is not done overnight, it might be over a year which time all of it is written and quite lot of it many times over.

If you have complete vehicle 1 year from now, it can be considered quick, learning alone takes so long and you need to bang your head against brick wall so much during several steps of it that it just takes time, good brick walls are not build in a day and you will go trough many.... :D

7. Sithhy™

Sithhy™
    Expand Collapse

I can offer myself as a helper with modeling & giving some modeling tips, as I started the Brutus B1 without knowing anything about modeling, yet I made it (but it's still to be released). Feel free to PM me :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. sjbphoto

sjbphoto
    Expand Collapse

Yeah I'm thinking I'm just going to use an edited roamed jbeam, that way I can save some time, also since they are both suvs it matches decently, I will have to relocate the nodes a beams though.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Spiicy

Spiicy
    Expand Collapse

I think you could also use a lot of the same suspension meshes. Engines too (maybe) its your mod do what you want. :p

10. sjbphoto

sjbphoto
    Expand Collapse

Also, would it be possible
    im for sure gonna use same suspension meshes, and probably suspension jbeam too. The engines are gonna be from the Barstow
    --- Post updated ---
    How do I import an official beam car mesh into blender, I wanna get one in the have next to mine for scale reference
    --- Post updated ---
    Thanks, model is the part I'm feeling best about, though still I, probably going to need some help. If i need some help I'll be sure to pm you

11. Lucaas

Lucaas
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

Would have liked to see more progress before this thread was made, but otherwise, nice work!

12. Mr.Blueboy

Mr.Blueboy
    Expand Collapse

Interesting. Good luck on this project!

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. sjbphoto

sjbphoto
    Expand Collapse

Yeah I would have waited, but I needed help and wanted to be able to reach out to people, I know it can be annoying when a project shows up with 1 hr worth of modeling, but im not going to give up on this, even if It takes me a year to complete. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. sjbphoto

sjbphoto
    Expand Collapse

upload_2018-10-23_6-33-9.png upload_2018-10-23_6-34-12.png
    full]480084[/ATTACH] upload_2018-10-23_6-33-40.png

Attached Files:

• upload_2018-10-23_6-33-25.png
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Sithhy™

Sithhy™
    Expand Collapse

From this screenshot I can see, that you added way too much bevel on the part infront of the windshield

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. sjbphoto

sjbphoto
    Expand Collapse

Yeah
    --- Post updated ---
    Yeah I did that in order to get in angled and smoothed, I'll try to get more screen shots when I get back from school

#36 sjbphoto, Oct 23, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
  17. Applenapslap 2

Applenapslap 2
    Expand Collapse

If You Want To Get It The Most Accurate Model You Should Try To Use A Blue Print In Blender

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. sjbphoto

sjbphoto
    Expand Collapse

Thank you so much, this helps a lot! I may even restart now that I have this.

19. sjbphoto

sjbphoto
    Expand Collapse

Im restarting the model, though before I get very far I've decided to just make a simple shape like a box or rectangle, to make a jbeam and import, so I can get more comfortable with it. I also decided to use the jbeam editor that came with the game, and i have a coding program to use for editing the jbeam, I'll have the name of the program when I get home later from school.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Leo_03

Leo_03
    Expand Collapse

Keep it up. Will be a badass mod!

• Agree Agree x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice