Fixed in 0.19.4.2
    More information available here

Dismiss Notice
  2. Intel iGPU (6xx series) crashes
    Fixed drivers available!
    Instructions here

Dismiss Notice

GE P42DC Progress (ON HOLD)

Discussion in 'BeamNG.drive Trains' started by Amtrak America, Jun 11, 2016.

1. Amtrak America

Amtrak America
    Expand Collapse

This is for work on the P42DC. Now that we are modeling this locomotive here are some specifications and blueprints for the locomotive.
    Specifications
    Gauge: 4 ft 8 1/2 inches
    Length: 69 feet
    Width: 10 feet
    Height: 14 feet 4 inches
    Fuel Capacity: 2,200 gallons
    Weight: 268,240 pounds
    Maximum Revenue Speed: 110 mph
    Maximum Locomotive Speed: 120 mph
    Wheelbase: 43 ft 2 1⁄2 in (13.17 m) (between truck centers)
    Axleload: 72,000 pounds
    RPM Range: 200-1050 (600-900 while supplying HEP)
    Horsepower: 4,250 HP
    Tractive Effort: 280.25 kN (63,000 lbf) Starting
    169 kN (38,000 lbf) Continuous @38 mph
    Now for some features that would be nice to put into the locomotive:
    • Fire from the exhaust output
    • Damage
    • Cab Views
    • Fully Modeled Interior
    • Modeled Engine Compartments
    • Opening Doors
    • Breakable Windows
    • Correct Lighting
    • Correct Sounds

Now for the blueprints and pictures

***** If modeling from scratch does not work out, we can import a model from Train Simulator 2016 (Railworks) but only as a last resort. But I would like to avoid that. If you need any more pictures of the locomotive let me know.

#1 Amtrak America, Jun 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  2. CarBro74

CarBro74
    Expand Collapse

Great. You are making a train? Awesome!

3. Amtrak America

Amtrak America
    Expand Collapse

Well, I am going to be "quality control". I have no experience at modeling. I am what you call a rivet counter. If one thing is off or isn't like it is in real life on the model, I will make a note of it. I will also be taking care of the sounds.

4. Eerie Milk San

Eerie Milk San
    Expand Collapse

I hate to say this, because I do want to see some trains in Beam NG, but if you really want this to come to fruition you might want to start looking into actually making some of this yourself, instead of being a "Rivet Counter". Modding for Beam NG is a very complex process, in fact modding for any game can be complicated. From what I've seen and experienced modeling along with programming tend to be the stopping point for anybody who has an idea for a mod but is hesitant to actually take the time learn the tools. I honestly don't think you will gain much traction with your current plans, this would be quite a bit of work, not only for the model but also everything else that would come with trying to implement trains into Beam NG.

So really the only advice I can offer is for you is to put off your plans for now, and learn the tools for mod creation.
    You aren't going to be able to rely on everybody else to create a mod for you.

5. Amtrak America

Amtrak America
    Expand Collapse

I have a model for the F59PHi so we are going to focus on that till I get around to the P42. I just need help jbeaming

6. Eerie Milk San

Eerie Milk San
    Expand Collapse

The train is only just part of what you need though, while BeamNG could possibly support trains, its up to you to create the system for it, something like that would require a lot of thinking and experimenting, it would be a lot of work and you would need to be comfortable with how modding works in BeamNG. You aren't just making a train for Beam NG, you are implementing an entire train system into BeamNG, figuring out how to actually create trains that work, figuring out how to make the track, creating maps specifically for trains. Without this infrastructure the train is completely useless, in fact i'd guess that you probably wouldn't get very far within the creation of the trains jbeam without having such a thing in place.

Your asking for quite a bit especially when the only thing you can bring to the table is "quality control" and sounds.

7. Amtrak America

Amtrak America
    Expand Collapse

I have the route covered. Some other users are adding rails to there maps
    --- Post updated ---
    Not just quality control and sounds, I would have been doing testing, research, contacting the manufacturer for drawings, designing custom BeamNG.rail paint schemes for the P42.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice