General Car Discussion

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by HadACoolName, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Peterbilt

Peterbilt
    Expand Collapse

For noise level inside the vehicle, straight pipes are fine for living with, assuming they run the full length of the vehicle and don't dump out underneath, if they do, you'll get some terrible droning, I know from experience.

The truck my best friend is running around in right now has a 355 that used to be a outlaw derby motor, and it sounds like one, even with glasspacks and turn downs under the bed you can hear it from almost half a mile away.

Personally, I've never understood why anyone with a 4 cylinder would want anything but the stock exhaust. Well a 4 cylinder gas engine anyway, I've never heard a 4 cylinder with any kind of aftermarket exhaust that didn't sound atrocious.

• Like Like x 2
  2. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

At 15:00, is that a Deuce with cab and hood removed + smaller diameter wheels installed?

Sounds nice, whatever that is.

• Like Like x 1
  3. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Been enjoying some of the street drag racing outside my flat today. There were loads of cars and a few bikes. Eventually the police turned up and have been patrolling the area for the past 15 mins, there was also a police van that showed up a little later so I can only presume someone was not so lucky.

Some of the cars (The Nissan looked very nice)

Someone stalling

Police seeing cars drag racing, ignore me sounding like a pleb, most excitement I have had all week xD (police car was the one driving away from camera towards the racing, you can see a police car at 1:30 with the lights on presumably trying to get them to disperse)

I am going to miss living here when I have to move out.

• Like Like x 5
  4. Googlefluff

Googlefluff
    Expand Collapse

One of those times you desperately wish you had unlimited money.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Googlefluff

Googlefluff
    Expand Collapse

Just saw this banner ad. I know it's a Toyota, but I still can't help but think it looks like a fictional car from a video game. I think it's the generic "X" logo.

fghsdfhsd.png

• Like Like x 2
  6. amarks240

amarks240
    Expand Collapse

9 out of 10 I4 systems are junk fart cans. Huge tips and all that junk. If you spend 700 on a Tanabe medalion, preferably the touring version, these b series engines sound FANTASTIC to my ears at least. My buddy had a stock jdm b16a with one and it purred at idle and made a very mild noise at low rpm and throttle. Open it up and it sang like race motor. I have a vibrant brand on mine and it's not obnoxious but the tone isn't anywhere near that of the quality mufflers out there. The other thing is there is no accounting for taste. I love the sound of small hi compression motors, especially 1000cc bike engines turning 14k. Old f1 cars turning in excess of 20k rpm. Buy a quality muffler is the moral of the story.

#5366 amarks240, Feb 19, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  7. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

Have you heard a tuned one with a glasspack on it? What did it sound like?

8. amarks240

amarks240
    Expand Collapse

Honestly chuck I wouldn't know. I'm not sure if I've ever heard a glass pack on one before. I might not know the difference to be honest.

9. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

Strange. Considering that you know other Honda drivers, one would think you'd have heard one before.

I have at least found a video of a Sunbird with one; I don't really like it. It sounds sort of like the straight piped Fiero, but with a bit of that tractor sound that makes people not like the GM 60deg V6 (at least it's not the 3.8; that one sounds like a tractor even when it's a racing version that spins to 10K, for reasons I don't quite understand). I have to wonder if there's a muffler somewhere that sounds like a straight pipe, but reduces the actual sound pressure level enough that it won't make people want to kick my face in.

Or just do a cutout so I can have the straight pipe sound when I'm trying to go fast and normal sound when I'm just A2Bing.

10. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

With I4, I would say focus on intake sound improving and ignore the exhaust sound, however that is not very easy, you might need to do custom engine management and throttle bodies to get intake growl like it should.

Exhaust sounds will be horrible, one would need 4-2-1 exhaust manifold to get I4 sound less annoying. Put both mods, tune for new flow and it will sound nice even with stock silencers.

Reason you don't see much of that is, because it is cheaper to slap turbo on it especially when considering how much power those mods do for a dollar.

11. CreasingCurve

CreasingCurve
    Expand Collapse

May as well post here too. Untouched factory Hyundai Excel with 1.5L twin cam engine and exhaust manifold but has been decatted and only has 1 resonator. Sounds raspy as fuck but I don't mind it. Probably weighs close to 750kg's now without a driver though.

Will post up a mini blog about what has been done to the car in the next week or so.

12. Inertia

Inertia
    Expand Collapse

Still sounds better than a honda civic

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. CreasingCurve

CreasingCurve
    Expand Collapse

@amarks240 Are you gonna take that?

14. amarks240

amarks240
    Expand Collapse

I guess I never really questioned wether a specific muffler had glass in it or just baffles. No one I know runs a very loud muffler, but one might be getting a hood exit from turbo. Cutout is the way to go. I have plans for one on my dedicated hooning build. My car drones a bit on the freeway cruising at the rpm I cruise at.
    Only because I agree with him :p jk, I can't shoot him down over his opinion unfortunately, not my place to do so.

15. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

What are you talking about? This is the internet, of course you can! [jk]

16. Cwazywazy

Cwazywazy
    Expand Collapse

By "experience" I was talking about when my muffler fell off and I had to drive home with no cork on the exhaust. Shit's loud. The 88 turbo has a glasspack and nothing else, not overly loud and sounds pretty good. I'd probably want it quieter if I were to roadtrip it though.

17. Peterbilt

Peterbilt
    Expand Collapse

My Blazer sounded like crap when the cat came off right after the Y-pipe, It still sounds like crap with a full straight pipe exhaust, but that's just due to the unknown small block having about 5.1 compression, making about 75 HP to the wheels, and me being completely unable to get it timed right. It's getting a new engine at some point.

This was with just manifolds and the Y-pipe, nothing else.

18. amarks240

amarks240
    Expand Collapse

Wow nice school bus swap bro. If I had to describe it in one word, cantankerous. "Finally, a v8 my Honda can hang with"

• Like Like x 1
  19. Peterbilt

Peterbilt
    Expand Collapse

The Silver Dodge sounds much nicer, with just the factory manifolds, factory cat, and without the muffler.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. James Smith

James Smith
    Expand Collapse

I kind of like the way that sounds. In the same way I like the sound of a nice vintage tractor.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice