General Car Discussion

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by HadACoolName, Mar 6, 2015.

1. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

I haven't seen one in a few years, and those things aren't easy to miss.

Must be a regional thing then?

2. VeyronEB

VeyronEB
    Expand Collapse

Yeah could be because I'm in the countryside too. Not uncommon to see new and quite expensive domestic market pickups too, so I imagine it wouldn't cost anything more to bring a used RAM in. Otherwise I haven't really seen any US imports to my memory.

3. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Possibly, however as far as the UK goes, Lincolnshire is pretty rural.

Just got numbers on anything with "ram" in it's name

Columns is each year, leftmost being 2017. These are numbers for registered cars in the UK (on the road or declared off the road): https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/?utf8=✓&q=ram&commit=Search#

The fan club or importer must live near you. Unless I have effed up the search query ofc.

EDIT:
    It is possible there are more registered incorrectly under a generic term such as Dodge - missing (as in missing info) https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/vehicle/dodge_missing

EDIT2:
    Not many Dodge Vipers in the UK:

--- Post updated ---
    @Potato Assuming you still have a crown vic, it's pretty damn rare over here :p

#12023 aljowen, Apr 21, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

Any thoughts on the Crown S100, and would you recommend it?
    (If it's possible to get good info.)

#12024 General S'mores, Apr 21, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
  5. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

Take pictures

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Seen Dodge rams parked next to ford transits. Suddenly becomes quite apparent how much of their intimidating size is actually just proportions making it look bigger. Don't get me wrong it is still huge, but the whole idea that American cars can't fit on English roads? Bullshit. We have vehicles just as big.
    --- Post updated ---
    I assume because it's an older vehicle that doesn't quite have the same mass audience as say the Imprezas.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Googlefluff

Googlefluff
    Expand Collapse

Probably. My other car was quite rare as well so I was expecting more or less the same costs, but in hindsight the GL is even rarer. I don't think I've ever seen another one.

8. skodakenner

skodakenner
    Expand Collapse

Just wondering how expensive are subarus to maintain and how expensive are parts for cars like the legacy spec b or a wrx sti?

9. Deleted member 160369

Deleted member 160369
    Expand Collapse

Same here. Plenty of RAMs around Milan. I live close to an importer, too.

They are roughly the same size of the Iveco Daily, one of the most common commercial vehicles available here.

Pickups can't be registered as passenger cars here, either.

10. skodakenner

skodakenner
    Expand Collapse

i live near an army staion so there are alot of us cars here also for us a truck is either a passenger car or a lorry depending on if the bed is longer than the cab so you often see the regular cabs here as a lorry is cheaper to insure and has a cheaper tax than a car with a 5.7l engine

11. MrAnnoyingDude

MrAnnoyingDude
    Expand Collapse

Quite a good car, kinda like a Japanese Volvo 240/Merc W123.
    --- Post updated ---
    The MkIII Capri isn't really a revered classic.

It's more like a 3rd gen Toronado, a 5th gen Riviera or a 7th gen Thunderbird - a "lifestyle" coupe that never gathered a performance following and ended as another 70s/80s car scrapped by low-life final owners.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

This engine technology seems neat:

Combines Petrol and Diesel in the same engine in order to gain higher efficiency (than either alone) while reducing the issues that diesel has (nox, particulates), to the point where they found it met Euro standards without any exhaust after treatments. Obviously requires two separate fuel tanks though, which isn't ideal.

Higher efficiency means more performance per gallon of fuel. As always with efficiency related improvements, will be interesting to see how applicable they are to performance vehicles as well as commodity cars.

This petrol/diesel combo engine is getting efficiency of 56% (60% in some cases?), so altogether pretty neat improvement.

• Like Like x 1
  13. skodakenner

skodakenner
    Expand Collapse

Over 50 percent is really good for a petrol engine i also cant wait to drive a skyactive x at some point as its probably going to be the next big thing in car tech

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Got a question.

Would you consider this to be dangerous?

imo, that trailer looks like it putting far too much weight over the towing hitch.

For reference, the weight distribution of the interior is more or less in front of the axles. You can see the wheel arches below and how all of the heavy stuff is to one side.

The creators of the above trailer own a business, where they build trailers. Perhaps they have done the maths and it all works out, but it seems kinda sketchy to me. I guess it's not my chassis that is gonna get bent at the end of the day... But business isn't going to be good if your customers keep dying in car crashes due to poor trailer design, not to mention anyone else involved in said crash.

The video this is from.

15. opkraut

opkraut
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

Those kids are a bunch of idiots. That trailer is so poorly designed, I'm having trouble deciding where to start tearing into it.

First sign of trouble: The pickup truck they're using is almost bottomed out and the front wheels are barely touching the ground from how much weight is being put on the hitch. That's extremely unsafe and can get you (and other people) killed very quickly.

Then there's the lack of any sort of safety measures built into that trailer. If that gets in an accident, which seems pretty likely, whoever has the misfortune to be near it is either going to have a very heavy looking trailer falling on them or they're going to be running into a trailer with no crumple zones. Even if it isn't moving it looks top-heavy which will make it easy for it to fall over in heavy wind.

They won't be in business very long, someone will (rightfully so) sue them after one of their trailers gets someone killed and shut them down.

I also just noticed that the trailer in the video appears to not have a license plate, which is a requirement for campers in just about every state (if not all of them). That would not be fun to try and explain to the police, especially if the truck being used to haul it is as overloaded as the one in the video.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
  16. Inertia

Inertia
    Expand Collapse

Tiny houses are a bit silly imo, but if you want one then that is fine. They aren't meant to be towed constantly like a caravan, but they should still be able to be towed properly. Trying to tow one with a lowspec F150 is completely retarded though, far too much down-load on the hitch. A dually would be much more suited.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. MotherTrucker02

MotherTrucker02
    Expand Collapse

And what trailers do have crumple zones? Some have a bumper under the rear to stop people from decapitating themselves if they rear end the trailer, but that isn't really a crumple zone.

Too much tongue weight is a lot safer than not enough. That trailer is just too heavy for a 1/2 ton pickup. With a weight distributing hitch and a 3/4 or 1 ton pickup it would likely be fine. It would be much better if it were a gooseneck or fifth wheel though.

18. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

IMO I think they are pretty great. Living on wheels is not really for me though. But I do love some of the ingenuity that goes into many of them. Personally I don't want to own a large house, because they are expensive (to buy and maintain) and rather wasteful (to heat etc), would rather spend the money on other things and have a higher quality stationary house (ie, not cardboard walls) with good insulation.

But when I see dumb stuff like the above, with comments sections full of people praising them, it makes me die slightly inside.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. opkraut

opkraut
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

Most trailers are fiberglass or other light materials that crumple or tear away easily. If you ever see a camper that's been wrecked, they fall apart and go everywhere. These look to be built like houses instead of trailers, so they have certainly not been designed with any form of impact in mind. Along the same lines, that full size fridge and the other things they have inside are going to be very heavy, much heavier than a typical trailer. I would be interested to see the underside of it, because septic tanks and water tanks are going to add a lot of weight as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. MotherTrucker02

MotherTrucker02
    Expand Collapse

Trailers aren't meant to crumple like that for the purpose of accident safety, they crumple because most of them are made from light materials for weight and cost savings. High quality trailers like Airstreams are probably just as heavy as that tiny house or whatever it's called. And regular campers have septic and water tanks as well, so no difference there. If you get tangled up with a trailer in an accident you likely aren't going to fair too well regardless since there's a big heavy steel frame under almost every trailer on the road except the super light ones with aluminum frames.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice