General Car Discussion

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by HadACoolName, Mar 6, 2015.

1. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

I guess both the leader and the car's manufacturer are to blame, though that's debatable. (TBH it would be mostly the manufacturer's fault, since they were the one who produced it and likely had the idea to give him a car like that.)

2. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

So much PR fluff when RR could have just admitted they built a car for rappers and been done with it.

3. MrAnnoyingDude

MrAnnoyingDude
    Expand Collapse

Youthful musicians have been an important buyer group for RR ever since Lennon got a funky Phantom.

Pretty much all big names had Rolls-Royces since then.

Liberace. Elvis Presley. Johnny Cash. Tom Jones. Marc Bolan. Englebert Humperdinck. Roger Daltrey. John Entwistle. Roy Orbison. Marvin Gaye. Freddie Mercury. All of Bee Gees. Brian Johnson. Michael Jackson. Ashley and Cheryl Cole. Lady Gaga. Justin Bieber.

#12283 MrAnnoyingDude, May 11, 2018
    Last edited: May 11, 2018
  4. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

While with modern metal bands...

5. N0MERCY

N0MERCY
    Expand Collapse

I like muscle cars though.

6. GLion

GLion
    Expand Collapse

I've decided to improve it a bit....
    Off-Royce.png

The lost child.
    BDominator5.jpg BDominator6.jpg BDominator7.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. skodakenner

skodakenner
    Expand Collapse

I agree with it that the culinan has the best styling but rollers can look like oil tankers as theyre supposed to be imposing and all and a oil tanker looks more imposing than a rowing boat

8. Ytrewq

Ytrewq
    Expand Collapse

I don't mind the looks of the Cullinan. If I were that rich, I'd probably buy it. Unlike Bentayga, RR doesn't look like a blob with W210's face and is not a stretched A4 on steroids.

9. Deleted member 160369

Deleted member 160369
    Expand Collapse

Imposing ≠ Styled like a slab of marble.

Current crop of Rollers simply look vulgar and chunky, which is why their design philosophy fits the Cullinan so well.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

Here's my render of if RR made a pick-up out of the Cullinan. (It's not a new idea for luxury brands, as Cadillac has done this to their Escalade and Mercedes Benz already made their own as well.)

11. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

RR are not going to make a pickup. It goes against their brand on so many levels.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. MrAnnoyingDude

MrAnnoyingDude
    Expand Collapse

Those who dare, win...
    --- Post updated ---
    In personal news, I have a growing desire to buy a piece of Malaise iron needing TLC and fix it.

The ideal find would be a '71-'78 Cadillac Eldorado or a Lincoln Mark IV, but anything goes in the budget - other Lincolns/Cadillacs, RWD Fords, GMs and Mopars (including Euro stuff), other GM E-Bodies, Triumph TR-7, Jag XJ6/XJS, Citroen CX, Merc W123....

• Like Like x 2
  13. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

There are very very few brands where I would be willing to make such a claim. RR however, I just can't see it at all. Their brand is about sophistication and style, a pickup truck still has too much of a red neck association for me to see them building one. Now, personally I don't consider most RR owners to be all that sophisticated, rather I think they buy RR's because of how insecure they are about their own level of sophistication. I don't think a pickup is going to have the same effect. In fact I think it would tarnish their brand identity.

A lot of the popularity of pickups is that you get "a lot of car" for "not a lot of money". I don't see that as RR's demographic.

Perhaps pickups will move upmarket in the future. But I don't see that happening soon.

14. MrAnnoyingDude

MrAnnoyingDude
    Expand Collapse

Hey, sometimes you gotta move your yacht or Ferrari 250 trailer queen.

15. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

But a proper SUV will do that just as well as a pickup. For example a Land Rover, or RR Cullinan.

And lets face it, you would probably pay someone else to do it anyway. In which case it would probably be done by some sort of lorry or van.

What would they do with a pickup? Put an umbrella in the tailgate? so that your butler can hold it above you to keep you dry while you haul firewood into the back? Rolls Royce owners don't do manual labour, they sip champaign while on the way to a very important and affluent dinner parties. Or so their brand image would have you believe.

#12295 aljowen, May 12, 2018
    Last edited: May 12, 2018
  16. MotherTrucker02

MotherTrucker02
    Expand Collapse

SUVs do not tow as well as pickups. Pickups usually have a longer wheelbase, stiffer suspension, thicker frame rails, etc. which makes it much easier and more comfortable to tow a trailer. But I guess you're probably talking about european pickups which are just suvs with a bed.

17. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, more or less. I was mostly talking about light duty consumer pickup trucks. But in the above context of a RR owner, they aren't gonna buy a pickup with stiff suspension that is designed for towing. Since comfort is going to a greater priority than towing which would be an occasional use thing.

On a slight side note, this makes me *very* proud to be British:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-west-wales-44054814

18. JBatic

JBatic
    Expand Collapse

apparently sometime in the 80's ford had the bright idea to strap a cross-flow head and a turbo to their 300 I6 and it supposedly made more power than a 460 with better fuel economy. I wonder what would have happened if they offered it in the F Series/ Bronco?

19. Ytrewq

Ytrewq
    Expand Collapse

Hard to fail at design when your competition looks like this:

161.png

• Like Like x 1
  20. Deleted member 160369

Deleted member 160369
    Expand Collapse

I don't see RR going the pick-up route just because Cadillac and Mercedes-Benz did it before.

Cadillac doesn't have the luxury cachet of RR, and Mercedes-Benz has been building commercial vehicles and lorries for about a century now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice