General Car Discussion

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by HadACoolName, Mar 6, 2015.

1. MotherTrucker02

MotherTrucker02
    Expand Collapse

That's awesome. Bummer that it might be losing the V10 since that was kinda the Viper's thing, but an updated V8 that would likely be put in the Challenger and Charger eventually is cool.

2. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

It doesn't have a V10, it's not a Viper. It has no V10, it's not a Viper. There is no V10, so it's not a Viper.

No V10, no Viper
    No V10, no Viper
    No V10, no Viper

3. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

They better do it, otherwise I'll just be looking forward for more Chargers and Challengers...

Speaking of concept ideas:

I dare Ford to do this to the new European Focus as a ZX2 successor.

4. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Rip:

Link for anyone (presumably?) outside the US: https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/...return-2020-new-550bhp-naturally-aspirated-v8

Cool that they are planning on making a new one though, wonder if the rumoured 700hp model will be supercharged? Given the rumoured pricing, its surely going to be very cheap plastic inside unfortunately, maybe with options it will be possible to get one with a solid interior?

5. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

If they made the beastly SRT Hellcat Charger, why not supercharge the upcoming Viper's engine?

6. Harkin Gaming

Harkin Gaming
    Expand Collapse

I doubt they would use cheap plastics on anything except base models. New FCA cars have really nice interiors on their high trim level cars.

7. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

I keep saying fuck gdpr to this, but really the gdpr is a good thing. Should be fuck sites that are clearly using your personal info in nefarious ways

8. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

And didn't have the forethought to fix their products during the large period of preparation time they were given.

I think GDPR has shown one thing, which companies have proactive security teams that deal with things ahead of time, and which ones are operating roach patrol with peoples data.

9. skodakenner

skodakenner
    Expand Collapse

So vw just stopped production on VW Passats with 2.0l diesel fwd and automatik due to problems with you guessed it its emmissions. One thing wich is interresting however is that they didnt stop the production of the 4Motion.

10. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

They could engineer their way around emissions, if there was demand. Diesel car sales in Europe have dropped over 25% in one year. I think they are seeing the writing on the wall and focusing their efforts elsewhere, where there is a better guarantee of future profits. Automatic "premium" diesels probably aren't going to get them the highest return on investment, so why spend the R&D on it? From a business point of view that is.

11. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

Damn, I was not expecting a official Civic pick-up.... but here it is, the Civic Type R Pick-Up concept car.
    Plus, Honda UK confirmed that this car will actually be used to transport lawn and garden products from Honda....

12. nosraenyr kcirtap kcin

nosraenyr kcirtap kcin
    Expand Collapse

What would the Thunderbird look like if they never went the luxury route?

13. JBatic

JBatic
    Expand Collapse

something like the corvette

14. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

Likely a pony vehicle on par to the Mustang.

15. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

I was just thinking, and has anyone ever heard the song "Hot Rod Lincoln" by, originally, Charlie Ryan?

Well, it turns out that it was based on a true story... a story which proves yet again that mountain pass racing in America predates the same type of racing in Japan. You see, Charlie Ryan really did have a 1948 V12 Lincoln, with two feet chopped out of the chassis and a Model A body. His friend had a Cadillac sedan, and they decided one day to race. The thing is, while the song had the location as (almost straight) Grapevine Hill so it could serve as a response to an earlier racing song set in that location, the actual race happened on the Spiral Highway (at the time US 95) north of Lewiston, Idaho. This road has, of course, since been bypassed by a nice, safe, boring highways, but what's left of the original Spiral Highway looks like this:

upload_2018-5-26_20-27-19.png

So yes, we were doing it first. I mean, one race that got turned into a song isn't much to go on, but you'll have a hard time convincing me those two were the only ones in their time unable to resist the temptation of such a road. I mean, the glitterati of Hollywood were racing their Deusenbergs on Mulholland in the 1930s before it was even paved (I'm seriously not making this up).

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. MotherTrucker02

MotherTrucker02
    Expand Collapse

Been on that road. It was in my pickup so I wasn't going super fast obviously, but just rowing through the gears and listening to the turbo whistle while looking out over the city of Lewiston at night was plenty of fun. Have to keep your windows closed though because the Lewiston paper mills smell terrible.

Edit: I also started at the bottom of the hill behind a Miata but it was long gone by the top of the hill. I would guess that I could pull away from a Miata in a straight line but nearly 7,000 lbs isn't very agile in the corners.

17. Zackosb

Zackosb
    Expand Collapse

➞ I thought of this (totally original and not ripped off another car) design of a smaller cheaper Hirochi car called the "Hirochi Kojo" that would share the covet chassis, but would be sold in today's markets with an 80s vibe
    ➞ I called it the Kojo because it means "Plant" in Japanese, I wanted something that would sound eco-friendly and give the car a personality.
    ➞ As for models, I thought of a 3 door, a 5 door, an all electric/ hybrid, and A "Grocery Getter", which is just an elongated wagon version that would resemble the back of a civic shuttle from the early 80's
    ➞ As for trims, I thought 3 was a sensible amount for each variant, and then some race versions can be added in afterwards:
    Base model "E" trim (E for economy) ➞ steel 4 lug wheels with small plastic centre caps and black plastic wing mirrors and handles. (1-litre 3 cylinder engine)
    Mid-range "M" trim (M for mid-range) ➞ steel 4 lug wheels with hubcaps and body coloured wing mirrors and handles. (1.1-litre 3 cylinder engine)
    Range-topping "R" trim (R for range) ➞ Alloy 4 lug wheels 2 wipers, body coloured wing mirrors and handles, 2 gauges, bi-xenon headlights and optional fog lamps. (1.2-litre 4 cylinder engine)
    20180526_203745.jpg (Very badly drawn)

#12417 Zackosb, May 27, 2018
    Last edited: May 27, 2018
  18. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Yeah no, the last part was very very clearly a joke in their actual statements. But they do plan to take it around the nordschliefe and set a record for fastest fwd pickup (because apparently that's a thing???)
    --- Post updated ---
    Interesting, though nobody ever claimed the Japanese were first to do it. We had an official hill climbing racing event in England in 1905 (and has been continually staged every year since, even 2018), France had one in 1897. Just same way it can't have only been those 2 racing that road, gotta be quite likely people attempted the downhill too (considering most Japanese races are either hill climb or hill descent, rarely doing both). Because quite common in Europe prior to the 30s and still is today, though English races are typically extremely short and European quite long with Japanese somewhere in between.

• Like Like x 1
  19. skodakenner

skodakenner
    Expand Collapse

The model they stopped making is actually the best selling model of the passat as its one of the moat used fleet vehicles in germany

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. Ytrewq

Ytrewq
    Expand Collapse

Not that a 4-cylinder turbodiesel is something to mourn...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice