General Car Discussion

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by HadACoolName, Mar 6, 2015.

1. SubaruSTI07™

SubaruSTI07™
    Expand Collapse

2. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

I never said it was a failure, but I'm just comparing it due to how very outlandish both were for wearing the Mustang nameplate (although I could get behind the Mustang II, even as hated as it is).

3. default0.0player

default0.0player
    Expand Collapse

Now they ruined the Blazer nameplate

4. HadACoolName

HadACoolName
    Expand Collapse

Ford & GM have long histories of ruining iconic nameplates. Ford: "Mustang" & "Puma" ,GM: "Blazer" & "Commodore" are just 4 recent ones in a long line of doing it.

You should all look back at them through the 80s & 90s it was an all out massacre on their nameplates. The period where all of America's cool cars became FWD melty turds.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. MrAnnoyingDude

MrAnnoyingDude
    Expand Collapse

The first Mustang was nothing more than a Ford Falcon wearing more fashionable bodywork at a higher price.
    In that regard, it was basically like most modern crossovers.

6. MisterKenneth

MisterKenneth
    Expand Collapse

I sorta get what you're saying. Looked it up on Wikipedia and saw that it says that the first gen Mustang shared underpinnings with the Falcon. I wouldn't say they're the same car though. The Mustang clearly changed a lot from the Falcon. I most certainly wouldn't say it was like modern crossovers either.

I don't see crossovers being a thing in the 60's. The late 70's - early 80's seem to be the earliest they started popping up, the AMC Eagle capable of being pinned as some of the earliest known CUVs.

7. MrAnnoyingDude

MrAnnoyingDude
    Expand Collapse

It was like crossovers in the spiritual "car as a fashion item" sense, and just like many crossovers, shared passenger car running gear.

8. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

It's such a shame that the 2020 Explorer, despite being RWD, sports a 2.3l turbo i4 pile as the base engine.

9. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

At least it's not a 2.0L with the exact perfect bore/stroke ratio for emissions, though I agree that such an engine shouldn't be in such a large vehicle. NA V6 base, NA V8 upgrade, as it always should be.

10. CaptainZoll

CaptainZoll
    Expand Collapse

nah, it should be a 5.7 V8 standard and a 6.3 V8 optional winga dinga dinga dinga

Edit:

i just had a thought. it would be really funny if you could get a car that has an artificial engine sound, and replace the sounds with the old covet blender sounds?

#16230 CaptainZoll, Nov 20, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  11. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

That's what happens when your last gen was a FWD soccer mom crossover, the next gen is bound to still share a few of those shitty traits.

12. MrAnnoyingDude

MrAnnoyingDude
    Expand Collapse

It's an ordinary family hauler. What more does it really need?

Also a meme I made:

Attached Files:

• mache.png
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

The fact you went and made a meme about it states otherwise.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

I guess I'll mention the new Aston Martin DBX.

I'm not too keen on the back of it, but it looks ok from most angles. I think the front grille is proof that bigger doesn't always mean better. But, Its nice to see a Luxury SUV that has its own dedicated platform, rather than another SUV with the same VAG underpinnings (Audi Q8, Audi Q7, Lambo Urus, Bentayga, Cayenne, Touareg). Apparently its also been designed with the intention of making a fully electric variant, it will be interesting to see if that materialises.

But its a lot of money for something that looks like a Ford.

Interior looks nice though
    upload_2019-11-20_18-19-32.png

• Like Like x 2
  15. MisterKenneth

MisterKenneth
    Expand Collapse

There's something that's been confusing me lately. Isn't the Vauxhall/Opel Adam a rebadged, redesigned Fiat 500? Because that's what it looks like to me.

I think it looks really nice. Ford doesn't really come to my mind looking at it though. My mind went more toward something like the Lamborghini Urus, especially when looking at the side, which I guess isn't too far off considering Aston Martin and Lamborghini both produce uber expensive automobiles meant for the rich.

Honestly, the back doesn't look bad to me either. I feel like I've seen designs that look bad compared to this. I like the swooping design of the rear lights.

It is though, still something that I could never afford.

16. MrAnnoyingDude

MrAnnoyingDude
    Expand Collapse

I made a make-it-in-a-minute meme about the situation, not the car.
    --- Post updated ---
    No. Cars don't need to look different to be different.

17. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

With that said, I am pretty sure it is Ford that "borrowed" AM's grille design language, and not the other way around.

But maybe I am being harsh, since I think the Puma looks a bit like an i-pace too :p

18. GotNoSable!

GotNoSable!
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

Don't you love the fact that the person shaming modern four cylinders has a "sports" car with a V-6 that makes significantly less power?
    @Shotgun Chuck Looking at you.
    I'd love to have an Ecoboost of some kind, especially the 600hp twin-turbo one that's in the current Ford GT. Love it or hate it, that V-6 will annihilate most V-8s now and days. Also better for the environment iirc, which is a serious plus if you have any concern for our planet's future.

On the topic of the environment, are there any new hydrogen ICE engines out there? I know toyota has the Mirai, just wondering if anyone else has picked up on it.
    Think about it: You sacrifice no "driving feel", appealing to people on the "ICE or bust" end of the spectrum like @Shotgun Chuck, and the sole noticeable emission you make is WATER. WATER. Said lack of emissions appeals to people with a more environmentally focused mindset.
    It's pretty win-win in my book, just need ONE auto maker to pony the hell up and actually make some advancements in technology that could change (And ultimately save) the world. Toyota made it run, we just need someone to make it BIG.

19. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

I'm just going to pretend the first half of your post doesn't exist for the sake of my own sanity.

On to the second half...
    No one has a (commercial) Hydrogen ICE car. All available hydrogen cars are Hydrogen Fuel Cell powered, where the hydrogen is converted to electricity, and then drives an electric motor. Its very similar to an EV, just that the power comes from a different source. AFAIK Hydrogen ICE engines are pretty crap (when compared to fuel cells).

#16239 aljowen, Nov 20, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
  20. MrAnnoyingDude

MrAnnoyingDude
    Expand Collapse

No. Cars
    And there is the problem of hydrogen refining and distribution.

Meanwhile, in electric cars you can just hook the chargers to the existing grid.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice