General computer talk/advice

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by BlueScreen, Jan 25, 2015.

1. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Anything with a GTX 1070 in will be fine for 1080p, you may be able to hit max graphics with one of them. A GTX 1060 is also absolutely fine for 1080p and you will be able to run at high enough settings that you won't be able to tell the difference between this and maximum.

Bare in mind that gaming laptops tend to be very heavy and large, meaning they are difficult to carry and may not fit in your bag. You will likely need to get very familiar with the plug socket locations around school too, since you will be using them a lot. Thinner and lighter gaming laptops will likely get very loud too since the fans have to spin really fast to compensate for lack of heatsink size/weight, so you may get a few odd looks and irritated class mates who couldn't hear what the teacher/lecturer was saying. Also worth noting that it would suck to have a $2k gaming machine stolen or destroyed by someone knocking a bottle of water on it.

I am with SkodaKenner here. You would be far better served by a cheaper laptop/tablet for school and something else for when you aren't. Even if that is buying a cheap (aka disposable) device with an Atom/Pentium/I3 and a separate gaming laptop if you want a portable gaming machine to take to friends (or between parents houses if that is an issue for you).

If you are still after a gaming laptop, this website is very good for reviews, anything from this top ten list will suit what you want: https://www.notebookcheck.net/Notebookcheck-s-Top-10-Gaming-Laptops.98628.0.html

#7261 aljowen, Sep 5, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 3
  2. BombBoy4

BombBoy4
    Expand Collapse

Hell no. My 400 dollar PC runs max settings besides some reflections, but I still have dyn ref on low) 1080p 60FPS.

3. Rolph

Rolph
    Expand Collapse

If I understood correctly, his comment was about gaming laptops and not gaming PC's. And as far as I know, his opinion holds true, as gaming laptops that can push maximum settings are really expensive

4. BombBoy4

BombBoy4
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, I thought that soon after I posted that. Though, it shouldn't be 3-5 times more expensive, only 2-3.

5. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. skodakenner

skodakenner
    Expand Collapse

I once had a gaming laptop from asus wich fried itself after 2 years as soon as the waranty went out it always was cleaned and all so dust couldnt have been the problem so ill stick to desktops

7. Eastham

Eastham
    Expand Collapse

Dude wants a laptop for gaming and school use. Best I can say is don't get a MSI... Dell's gaming laptops are nice (Not the Alienware ones..) and ASUS is fairly good.

8. BombBoy4

BombBoy4
    Expand Collapse

Still, unless you REALLY need to have power ON THE GO, having a desktop in the dorm will be perfect, leaving your backpack lighter, and not have to lug a charger around.
    In fact, I use a desktop and laptop simultaneously for school. My desktop is for resource intensive tasks and gaming, which is always at home. My laptop I put in my backpack to take to school and all it has is my files and enough processing power to write essays/read emails.

#7268 BombBoy4, Sep 5, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

I have a GTX 970 in my PC and can only push normal to high settings at 1080p while keeping 60-75fps. With a GTX970 being a $370 card (according to google, I live in UK so only know that market) I call BS on you having a $400 PC that can run the game 1080p60fps maxed out.

#7269 aljowen, Sep 5, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Eastham

Eastham
    Expand Collapse

Dorm? I thought he meant school as in high school. Either way dude wants a laptop, probably doesn't know how to build a desktop or doesn't want to and pre builts are shoddy in my opinion, plus some people just want the convenience of being able to lug thier computer around with them and play games anywhere.

11. BombBoy4

BombBoy4
    Expand Collapse

It is only 46.6FPS, but still proves a $400 build will get you more than enough for gaming.
    BeamNGdrivex642017-09-0516-36-05.png
    BeamNGdrivex642017-09-0516-37-59.png
    (Screenshots taken with ReShade, though ReShade isn't on right now)

Personally, I favor FPS over quality, so my normal settings are slightly lower, letting me achieve the 72FPS my monitor allows. I don't notice much of a difference, gladly.

#7271 BombBoy4, Sep 5, 2017
  12. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Turns out I can't do maths, 46 is not half of 72 for the record :p

When replicating the setting you used in the position you showed I got 70fps average (with Anno 2070 running in the background, don't think it should make a huge difference). It turns out there is only 1fps difference between running most stuff on normal vs high. Mesh quality and post processing are the only two that make a big (6fps total) difference.

#7272 aljowen, Sep 5, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

the only real big drain on FPS is SSAO and Reflections

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Funky7Monkey

Funky7Monkey
    Expand Collapse

Alright, I'm seeing all kinds of BS about laptops that can run BeamNG. I have a Gigabyte Sabre 15. GTX 1050, i7-7700HQ. It runs BeamNG very well. It costs about $1000. Every $1000 gaming laptop will run BeamNG.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. BombBoy4

BombBoy4
    Expand Collapse

Just got my warranty replacement for my EVGA 430 80+ white PSU, and now I have no clue what to do with it. Maybe put it in my next build, but my next build was going to be just a MoBo/CPU replacement in my current PC.

16. Funky7Monkey

Funky7Monkey
    Expand Collapse

I got a new mouse! A Logitech G502. I really like it. It was a bit of an emergency purchase, as my old Redragon M901's sensor gave out yesterday.

17. skodakenner

skodakenner
    Expand Collapse

I had to get the g402 because my mouse wouldnt stop rightclicking

18. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Smooth Scroll is bae
    However Logitech's current angular design makes their mice impossible to clean

19. BombBoy4

BombBoy4
    Expand Collapse

Accidentally selected GPU scaling when editing some options, and now my screen shows an "out of range" error. Tried uninstalling, reverting drivers, no luck.

Also, there's a setting in my bios that lets me use my discrete GPU for 1 monitor, and my iGPU for another. Awesome, the only thing that was holding me back from getting another monitor was that I couldn't use HDMI.

#7279 BombBoy4, Sep 8, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  20. skodakenner

skodakenner
    Expand Collapse

So at the beginning of next month ill be getting a new graphics card and there are 2 cards wich im considering buying one a amd vega 64 or a nvidia 1080ti the ti is hugely faster but im really not sure if i want another nvidia card the amd is cheaper but uses more power also wich make should i go for on the design front i was thinking of getting the palit 1080ti as theyre coolers are quite good and theyre on the lower end of prices then the vega theres basically no diffrence between the manufacturers yet so id go for the cheapest id find

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice