General computer talk/advice

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by BlueScreen, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Funky7Monkey

Funky7Monkey
    Expand Collapse

Safe mode should let you fix the issue.

2. BombBoy4

BombBoy4
    Expand Collapse

I tried, but Radeon settings wouldn't load, saying there's no driver installed. It fixed itself, after an hour of messing with settings.

3. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

So happy now that I found a much better way to upload to Google photos, well I make sure that all my cameras have Micro SDcards (with an adapter) and then when I sleep just pop it in my android tablet, as it is plugged in it silently uploads all of the photos/videos. Hooray! No more listening to a noisy gaming machine due to Google photos being really inefficient on desktop

4. Deleted member 1747

Deleted member 1747
    Expand Collapse

Might need a laptop for school, and I've been eyeing up a ThinkPad T540p in the local PC shop.
    It has a new keyboard, genuine battery and hard drive. CPU is an i5-4210m and it has 8GB DDR3.
    £300 seems like a good deal right?

5. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

For £200 you could get a Celeron based laptop, it's cheaper and more efficient. Good and supports modern features such as hardware decode of YouTube videos (allows very little CPU usage). If u need decent power then the Think pad is the way to go

6. Deleted member 1747

Deleted member 1747
    Expand Collapse

aight i think the temperature sensor crapped out
    upload_2017-9-16_17-14-18.png
    What can this mean?

7. Funky7Monkey

Funky7Monkey
    Expand Collapse

Temperature offsets are wrong. It could be SpeedFan reading them wrong, or the motherboard sending them wrong.

8. BombBoy4

BombBoy4
    Expand Collapse

I've been converting my GPU OC from afterburner to wattman, and ran into a quite funny problem.
    When I first started wattman after turning afterburner off, it automatically set some settings. But it must've read something wrong, because state 6 was at 800MHz, instead of the 1210 factory OC. I booted up BeamNG.drive before I noticed that, and it was running fine until it just dropped to 30FPS after a few seconds. I was checking the CPU, RAM, temps, usage, etc. Then, I checked wattman and found the problem. Once I fixed that (and added my 60MHz OC), my game ran at 80FPS again.
    So in case anyone has a game slow down after touching your GPU OC, that could be the problem :p

9. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

I wish the Bluray ecosystem wasn't so awful.

It costs more to buy a bluray drive for my PC than a giant plastic stand alone unit, because reasons. And then anything worth watching is around £15 for a single film.
    So that is £45-50 for a player, then lets assume I watch 10 films on it, which would be £150. That works out to £10 per hour assuming 2 hour films. £200!!!. I understand that BluRay is supposed to be the nicer way to watch films compared to DVD or streaming but that is ridiculous. What is perhaps even more ridiculous is that the streaming services won't let me enjoy surround sound or other features that they offer, because I want to view them on a PC and not some crappy black box of proprietyness.

And people wonder why I don't give a damn about films in general. They seem to want me to jump through as many hoops as humanly possible in order to enjoy it.

• Agree Agree x 6
  10. Funky7Monkey

Funky7Monkey
    Expand Collapse

I haven't watched a movie in months. This is a reason for that.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Eastham

Eastham
    Expand Collapse

That's why I gave up on movies, TV and the sort.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

Ironic how you have a better experience when you pirate a film nowadays :p
    No faffing with broken boxes and glitchy Internet connections on their servers :p

• Agree Agree x 4
  13. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

Oh, it gets even better than that. Say you want to watch that movie on your PC, you spent the money on the Blu-ray drive and a CPU capable of decoding 1080p video, and a GPU for some further hardware acceleration, you STILL have to use a specialized player full of ad-ware and you need to access a database of decryption keys and it's a freaking disaster.

Not worth the time, money, and effort. I'll stick to pirating.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

Worse when that player has broken video acceleration and high CPU....
    Also the dedicated boxes, well if they don't have broken Hdmi CEC and buggy software then something is wrong and it's gonna update and muck itself up :p

15. skodakenner

skodakenner
    Expand Collapse

Am i the only one who uses a ps3 for blu ray videos because it works the best? It probably cant rip it off of the blu ray but well

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Racermon

Racermon
    Expand Collapse

I wonder if I am the only one who would go to a movie instead of getting stuff to watch blu ray

17. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

My dad uses it as a Dvd player :p. If it ain't broke don't fix it

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Rolph

Rolph
    Expand Collapse

To the Apple guys here - how do you like the new iOS 11?

19. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

It's fucking awful.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Tsutarja495

Tsutarja495
    Expand Collapse

It fucking sucks. Not updating my 5s any time soon.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice