General computer talk/advice

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by BlueScreen, Jan 25, 2015.

1. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

I just hit winkey and type name of application, which works the same regardless of start screen or start menu

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Codeslamer

Codeslamer
    Expand Collapse

No, I mean my PC is a mess. I once spent a good day organizing everything, and was quite impressed. Then I just got lazy and now everything is all over the place. Now I can only really find anything by using the search thing like SixSixSevenSeven said. My only issue is my keyboard had a thing where you could disable the Winkey. I did it, and haven't been able to re-enable it. Sometimes it'll work, but it's really inconsistant. So just clicking the button is much easier for me

3. BombBoy4

BombBoy4
    Expand Collapse

Reinstall the driver? Or is it a mechanical switch.

4. Codeslamer

Codeslamer
    Expand Collapse

It's the driver. But it's the Steelseries 3 driver. I love their hardware, but that driver needs some serious work. It had an update before, but I couldn't do it because it thought I was on Windows XP, when it wants Windows 7. I was on Windows 7, but you know

5. skodakenner

skodakenner
    Expand Collapse

A thing wich interests me is would it be possible to install windows on the one x and then try to run beam on it? It would probably run awful but it would be worth a try

6. BombBoy4

BombBoy4
    Expand Collapse

One x? iPhone x? No.

7. skodakenner

skodakenner
    Expand Collapse

I mean the xbox one x as it basically runs a windows 10 version

8. Ai'Torror

Ai'Torror
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

You technically could do this, the same as you could install windows on Xbox 360.
    It would be a fun thing to try out, but not for my skills and not for my wallet.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. skodakenner

skodakenner
    Expand Collapse

Someday when the one x is cheap enough it would be worth a try

10. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

you can almost hear the 12/13/14 yr olds saying "can i hack xbox one x to run beamng"

11. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

doesnt have a conventional BIOS/UEFI, consoles got a lot of anti tamper tech on the software

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Ai'Torror

Ai'Torror
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

Yes, thats the whole problem, since the console is basically running tue core of windows 10 already, but with loads of stuff blocked off since companies don't want us to use their stuff in ways other than what they intended... I hate this approach, everything can be improved and they're blocking us from customizing what we've bought.
    The same thing with most of microsoft software, they're blocking people from editing any files... Just try to edit anything in Forza Motorsport 7 demo files. Every file is blocked and you have to go threw all of the permission settings to unlock every single file and every single folder. That's why I love BeamNg, you can do everything you want with game files that you've bought or with the demo, I remember that while I was savimg up for the full version I've modified the demo by adding some modded maps and few vehicles.

Going back to forza,demo, If you look at the amount of files you download and you take a look at file names... You realise that you've got basically a slightly cut full version with all of the tuning options and many vehicles blocked off... I will be trying to get the hold of the full version for free just to check if it is worth buying, since the demo wheel support was terrible (at least with g27).

13. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

The Xbox actually doesn't use a version of Windows 10. It uses the windows NT kernel and alot of the upper layers are stylised after windows 10. But it's no more windows 10 than an android device is Ubuntu

• Informative Informative x 3
  14. Nissan Skyline

Nissan Skyline
    Expand Collapse

GTA 6 LEAKED GAMEPLAY!!!!

15. Joeyfuller2000

Joeyfuller2000
    Expand Collapse

BeamNG running on an ASUS T100TA with Windows 10.
    not what you could call playable, but it's neat to see a computer like this running BeamNG at all.
    20171120_160124.jpg 20171120_160135.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Deleted member 1747

Deleted member 1747
    Expand Collapse

Does anyone here have a Logitech MX Master? Thinking of picking one up in the sales.

17. numbazZ

numbazZ
    Expand Collapse

Hi, need an advice about CPU. So I'm building a new pc, 50\50 games\ 3d modeling. I have a choice: Core i7 7700K, Core i7 8700, and Ryzen 1700. They are selling for the same price in my local market, and I'm confused. I see Ryzen has very good reviews and rating, but I never used to like AMD, don't know about Ryzen anything... So what do you recommend, guys?

Also, what about Ryzen 1600? I see it has very good result in the PassMark, the same result as i7 7700k, and it costs a half of the price of i7, maybe I could save some money)

18. Nissan Skyline

Nissan Skyline
    Expand Collapse

For 3d Modeling, do you render a lot? Also, what is your current CPU and GPU, and what games do you play the most?
    Just comparing the options, 8700 is going to be the most expensive because only z370 boards are out (and you can't even use the overclocking ability for the non-K SKUs). 7700K is on a dead platform and gets outperformed by 8th gen I5s.
    1700 is the best for multitasking, and is only 10-15% slower than an 8700. The 1600 will get nearly the same gaming performance, but you will lose some multi-tasking power. Personally, I would go for the 1600, as you can get a B350 board for around $50.00 and you could still overclock it. Plus if you want to upgrade in the future, AM4 is going to be in use till 2020, while I wouldn't be supervised if Intel changed the socket for the next generation CPUs. If you get lucky, you might even get a Ryzen 1600 with 8 cores and 16 threads (basically a 1700). Some people have posted pictures on reddit with their 8 core 1600, so it is a possibility.
    If you are talking overall bang for the buck, the 1600 is the best CPU around right now. Unlike the 8th gen intel CPUs, the motherboards are cheap, and there is a large supply of CPUs, so you don't need to worry about overpaying.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. numbazZ

numbazZ
    Expand Collapse

Thank you for your clear answer. I used to have my 2010 build with Phenom II x6 1055T, and GTX 580, 2 years ago this GPU died, and something went wrong with mb, so I'm
    using my Lenovo y500 with i5 3230m, and 2x GT 750 for all my work now, and I render a lot, interiors, and huge architecture objects. This is a real pain to work on this nb, so I decided to build a new PC. And I would like to play the latest games without struggling too

I was thinking to get GTX 1070 from Asus, and Gigabyte GA-AX370-Gaming K3, or K5 for mb. Actually, I don't know the difference between B, and X boards... As I read right now, the only difference is less SATA and USB ports, and no support for Multi GPU?

• Like Like x 1
  20. Nissan Skyline

Nissan Skyline
    Expand Collapse

B350 Supports crossfire, but not SLI, and X370 supports both crossfire and SLI. It does have fewer SATA and USB ports, but that really shouldn't be an issue. X370 boards are typically higher build quality, and have more BIOS features. A more expensive, but really full featured, B350 board is the Asus Strix B350f, it has a really great power delivery, and has some really premium features. If you plan on getting an Asus 1070, especially if you get the strix model, the RGB will also sync which is nice. However, if you wanted to pay less for the motherboard, the Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 has a lot of really nice features for a great price. I don't know when you plan on getting your new system, but sometime before the end of the year, AIB Vega cards are going to be (supposedly) available. Unless you render with CUDA, the Vega 56 has a lot better compute performance, which should allow for faster renders. The Vega 56 is also a tad faster than the GTX 1070. If you are ordering soon, I would get a 1070, as the reference cooler for vega is a little loud and tends to run hot.
    Another point I forgot to mention before is Ryzen is more power efficient than intel, so it will run cooler and quieter. Plus you might be able to still use the cooler from your Phenom build for Ryzen, if it uses the stock clip mounts, but I wouldn't worry, as the 1600 has a nice stock cooler already, and the 1700 has the same cooler but with RGB!!! While mentioning power consumption, Vega 56 consumes around 50 more watts than the 1070. (But since you had a GTX 580 I assume you don't really care that much about how much power your PC uses.)

• Informative Informative x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice