General Music and Instrument Discussion

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic' started by Inertia, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Inertia

Inertia
    Expand Collapse

I felt like making a thread where fellow musical people can feel free to discuss all things music. I am perfectly ok with this thread being taken down if this is too offtopic for a games forum, but seeing as there are other random threads, I figured it would be alright.

Just some guidelines/rules to keep the thread sensible:
    1. This is a thread about playing music, not what your favourite justin bieber song is. If you find a song that you like and is somewhat relevant to the discussion, there is no problem with linking it.
    2. No stupid arguments like "omg bro my 9 string is way more djent than your 7 string lol noob" or "trumpet is better than saxophone". At the end of the day we are all playing an instrument, and they all require some level of skill, except maybe bass ;):p
    3. Be respectful and polite, profanity or insulting is not welcome. If you have a video with explicit content, consider putting a spoiler or a warning. I am by no means "sensitive" to swearing, quite the opposite, but seeing as it is against the forum guidelines, and it really isn't nessesary, let's lead by example.

Things to do:
    1. Ask for help. If you can't dial that perfect tone, or something doesn't sound right, ask away.
    2. Post a video of you playing for constructive criticism.
    3. Anything! If you feel something helped your playing or you think someone will get something out of a tip, share it! If you can see something wrong that a musician did that will help others progress, share it!
    4. Things that aren't just the base instrument are welcome too, for example talking about amplifiers or even modern DAWs for digital music.

Ok, I'll start off. I've been playing guitar for about 5 years, I'm sure I could be a ton better if I actually made time to practice, but for now I'll just stick to being mediocre. My two regular guitars are a 1980s ish Squier Stratocaster MIJ (made in Japan) and a fairly recent Cort LP100 Les Paul type. I'm really not very picky about my guitars themselves, but I like them set up a certain way, that's for sure.

Pics aren't great, but I hope you get the idea.
    IMG_20161029_225755.jpg IMG_20160718_110015.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  2. BombBoy4

BombBoy4
    Expand Collapse

Why die so soon? HEROES NEVER DIE!
    Tomarrow I'll post something helpful, I'm a bit lazy right now:/

#2 BombBoy4, Mar 20, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  3. opkraut

opkraut
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

Sounds about right:p
    To be on topic, I'm excited for next year when I go off to college up at Michigan Tech. The pep band there is amazing

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Inertia

Inertia
    Expand Collapse

I guess I could go to college/uni for a music oriented degree, however I'm more keen to do mechanical engineering. My guitar teacher has done training at a university though, and it gets you a higher paid job being more qualified.

5. derpfleet55

derpfleet55
    Expand Collapse

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. opkraut

opkraut
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

What's funny is that MTU doesn't offer a music major. I'm going for Mechanical Engineering

• Like Like x 1
  7. Instant Winrar

Instant Winrar
    Expand Collapse

Been playing the Clarinet for about 5 years now.
    Kind of am getting bored with it (seems a bit lacking for solo performances), so lately I've been spending lots of time (about 3 or more hours/week) sitting at a piano and improving my playing abilities there. I've come a long way in that since I started in the fall of last year, but I'm only good at playing octaves and hand jumps because of the way I've been practicing. For now, I'm trying to find a new piece to learn... But it's hard for me to find anything that interests me enough to learn and is within my abilities. I'll find something, some day.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Inertia

Inertia
    Expand Collapse

I've also been getting a bit bored playing guitar by myself, I think I need to find a band or something. I did do a band experience thing a year or so ago which was amazing, basically a bunch of people my age and skill level including my cousin got to use a music stores equipment and facility to play whatever we wanted. Kinda sucks that I live about 260km away from the place, as I was visiting my cousin at the time. I'd love to go again if I get the chance. I can see how playing clarinet would be difficult to find others to play with, since it isn't very common compared to guitar or drums etc.

9. Mr. Avanzato

Mr. Avanzato
    Expand Collapse

• Like Like x 1
  10. Deleted member 160369

Deleted member 160369
    Expand Collapse

Amateur drummer here. :cool:

Bought myself a silent (electronic) YAMAHA drumset. Sounds awful but allows me to play at night without disturbing the neighbors... ;)

11. Inertia

Inertia
    Expand Collapse

I did try playing drums once, I'm naturally extremely uncoordinated so I have to work a lot harder to do simple things, and well, I was pretty bad :p
    What's the price on those compared to a traditional kit? I guess they take up a lot less room as well.

12. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Have you tried piano? I have heard some saying it would improve guitar playing, but I don't know of that personally.

I got myself piano to start playing some instrument, but with my broken memory it is hard to learn, I doubt I will get past reading music part for years, but I find it quite easy to tell if I manage to hit correct keys etc. Another challenge is that slow pieces don't interest me at all, I prefer silence over slow and learning to play fast right from the start is quite impossible, talk about making things difficult for myself :)

When I was kid, at school we all had to try playing drums and other instruments just to test them etc. I had never touched drums and didn't really listened much of music at that time, but somehow it just worked out as whole class was cheering when I did some banging of those things, I haven't touched drums ever since though as it was only at lot older age that I got interested from music and these days there is a lot more music that fits to my liking than old days.

Start young, learn at least basics when young, preferably more than just one instrument, it becomes harder with age.

I don't have videos of my one finger playing, but anyone that wants to play Saxophone this might be for inspiration, she wrote there that has been playing just 1.5 years, many play that song surely better, but way she plays sounds much nicer to me.

@Instant Winrar surely one instrument might become boring, but there are so much different ways to play, different kind of music to play. Problem is to find that new which bring new inspiration to playing.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Inertia

Inertia
    Expand Collapse

I guess I could learn how to play piano, we have a good quality German made albeit slightly out of tune upright piano, and a Casiotone keyboard from the 80s. I can read sheetmusic if I really try, but tabs are far easier for me. I find I don't even make enough time or find the motivation to practice guitar so having another instrument to practice as well mightn't work so well.

14. Faction54

Faction54
    Expand Collapse

I just got a Jim Deacon electric/acoustic guitar to go with my stratocaster :)

Attached Files:

• IMG_0482.jpg
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Deleted member 160369

Deleted member 160369
    Expand Collapse

Paid around 800€ for it.

Takes up less room than a comparable acoustic set, indeed... but it's still rather bulky.

• Like Like x 1
  16. skodakenner

skodakenner
    Expand Collapse

I have a ibanez 6 string electric guitar ill post pics later im currently not at home so i cant currently

• Like Like x 1
  17. Faction54

Faction54
    Expand Collapse

I can play both guitar and piano, and learning both increases musical awareness, and compability with otger instruments as well. It's best if you learn a peice on one instrument to tap away at the other until you play it by ear there too.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Y4123

Y4123
    Expand Collapse

I can whistle lol

19. Faction54

Faction54
    Expand Collapse

Very skilful

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice