WIP Beta released Graphics Mod AL - Fancy stuff instructions 20220818 for 0.25

Discussion in 'Mods and Skins' started by Brother_Dave, Jun 16, 2020.

1. Brother_Dave

Brother_Dave
    Expand Collapse

Announcement!
    Count on my mod being broken with the BeamNG 0.21 Update until ive looked at it. Do NOT install it!

AL8 sneaky release!

No screenshots or vids yet but its coming, thought it was better to release the mod first and take some new screenshots later, than the opposite :)

Install:

1. ALTERNATIVE 1 - Open the Beamng launcher, hit Support Tools, Clear your cache. Dont start Beamng.
    ALTERNATIVE 2 (i do this) - Go to your Documents/Beamng.drive-folder and delete the latest cache-folder, at the moment its called "cache.0.20.2.0". That way you wont loose as much stuff as compared to the Clear Cache-option.

2. Unzip the folders and the postfxpreset-file from the AL8.zip into your Documents/Beamng.drive-folder so that you get the folders called Art, Core, Levels, Shaders and the AL8.postfxpreset-file into your Documents/Beamng.drive-folder

3. Open Beamng, click Options from the main menu. Make sure you have advanced menus activated to see the POST FX button.

4. Scroll down so that you see the POSTFX button. Click it. Click 'Load Preset...' and look up the file that was in the AL8.zip. should look something like this:
    'C:\Users\YourUserName\Documents\BeamNG.drive\AL7.postfxpreset' , that way you also know youve extracted the folders and file correctly.
    * Make sure you activated all the PostFx stuff including light rays, its check boxes are above the POST FX button.

Done!

Changelog from AL7 to AL8:

BIG CHANGE IS ADAPTION TO MONITORS USING WARM/6500K COLOR TEMPERATURE, MAKE SURE YOU KNOW WHAT MONITOR COLOR TEMP YOU USE IF IT LOOKS TO PALE/COLD FOR YOU NOW :) DID THIS DUE TO THE NUMBER OF PEOPLE HAVING ISSUES WITH IT LOOKING GREENISH/YELLOWISH

Tonemapper values changed slightly

Levels sky brightness lowered so that it can be more blue than vanilla but still get hella bright when looking towards the sun

Decreased lighting brightness, adjusted gradients accordingly

And so on...

Might change fog to brighter than it is now, but we'll see

Changelog from AL6 to AL7:

Slight changes to Tonemapper code, abit more aggressive but works better with the decreased TOD sun gradient

Increased brightness settings BUT decreased gradient so that it isnt as blinding mid day.

Modded light flare texture and settings to make the sun flare less strong

Slight changes to SSAO, BLUR, DOF to make it less intense

Probably some more stuff but dont remember them now.

Still constains my fog mod, which if you use fog itll grow stronger in the morning and evening

EDIT: Added a version thats less bright midday (AL8LessBrightMidday.zip), if the first one is too bright then just use this one instead. Clear your cache using Clear Cache Alternative 2 described above, that way is faster.

EDIT2: Added a version with less bloom (AL8LessBrightMiddayLessBloom.zip) since i wanted that. Clear your cache using Clear Cache Alternative 2 described above, that way is faster. IF youve used the other versions then make sure you reload the postfx preset.
    Its the one used in this vid:

Attached Files:

#141 Brother_Dave, Dec 4, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  2. den_chik

den_chik
    Expand Collapse

No any green tint now but all highlights overbrighted. I still don't see any reason to have your mod. It hasn't step-up in visuals but leads to big drop in fps.

3. Brother_Dave

Brother_Dave
    Expand Collapse

lol my dude, youre a born pessimist arent ya :D

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Born 2 Drive

Born 2 Drive
    Expand Collapse

Granted, the mod is a bit over-brightened at first, but after some minor tweaks, It looks 100000000000% better than the vanilla game. I've saved these changes in a postfx preset (if anyone would like to download it, just ask.) It's a great mod regardless!!

• Like Like x 1
  5. den_chik

den_chik
    Expand Collapse

Post it. What minor tweaks?
    --- Post updated ---
    I don't believe it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Brother_Dave

Brother_Dave
    Expand Collapse

Yeah its way brighter than vanilla, i confess :p Personally i really like it, but since theres no autoexposure it can be abit much for some folks (im looking at you den_chik ;) ) I can bring down the brightness for say midday, left that abit higher than AL7 i think but i had to release this damn thing some time too so i just stopped finetuning the hell out of it and released it lol
    I agree, post it if you want to :) Itll help me see what changes i can possibly do in future versions! I guess youve reduced some bloom and also used the color correction/HSL to bring down the brightness? :)
    --- Post updated ---
    Added a version of AL8 thats less bright midday, if the first one is too bright then just use this one instead. Clear your cache using Clear Cache Alternative 2 described in the post above, that way is faster.

(https://beamng.com/threads/graphics...sion-out-2020-12-04.71585/page-8#post-1252134)
    --- Post updated ---

• Like Like x 1
  7. Born 2 Drive

Born 2 Drive
    Expand Collapse

Well, minor tweaks include: Slightly darker shadows, darker highlights (works best with 1.50 gamma,) ever so slightly more saturated in general and less intense depth of field. I'll post it when I can, but if you're still not happy, don't go ranting about it ;)

• Like Like x 1
  8. den_chik

den_chik
    Expand Collapse

What is your display? TVset? The shadows of mod is so much deep already. And I use the IPS which has more brighter blacks. For VA monitors I guess TOTAL BLACK HOLES there.

I have tried the new version of AL8 and it is still overbrighted. Sorry. If that mod for TV screens you should mark that in description.

By the way, if I shift time to more dusk it's looks better but it's compromise.

#148 den_chik, Dec 5, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
  9. Born 2 Drive

Born 2 Drive
    Expand Collapse

I don't use a TV screen, I use a professional monitor. And besides, I mentioned that I use 1.50 gamma setting in my game to overwrite the dark shadows and make the game just look more balanced. With those settings, which I use for other reasons, I had to make the shadows darker. Can you please stop criticising everyone who is trying to meat you're standards!

10. Brother_Dave

Brother_Dave
    Expand Collapse

ANOTHER VID OUT, THE LESS BRIGHT VERSION BUT AT EVENING SO DONT EXPECT TO SEE THAT LOL :D ALSO LESS BLOOM, LINK TO FILE ADDED IN THE THREAD A FEW POSTS ABOVE "P

#150 Brother_Dave, Dec 5, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Brother_Dave

Brother_Dave
    Expand Collapse

Trying to get the DOF curve to be easier to handle, finetuned the UI values and my god did that make a difference, way easier to get a better transition in dof/blurryness the farther away from the player you are.

Also for those that has noticed that DOF is different on different maps, its due to the vanilla maps different view (clip) distance in the map info settings. Different maps have different max distance and that correlates directly to DOF, bringing DOF closer or farther away from the player. Ive mentioned this before but ideally all vanilla maps should have the very same settings when it comes to these things. I used to manually set the same distance on all vanilla maps but i dont really have the time right now.

12. Born 2 Drive

Born 2 Drive
    Expand Collapse

Well, this was a bit harsh. Sorry!

13. SuperShep1

SuperShep1
    Expand Collapse

Lol

14. Brother_Dave

Brother_Dave
    Expand Collapse

FELLAS, CAN YOU JUST STOP POSTING ARGUMENTS HERE LOL WTF! ID APPRECIATE IF YOU KEEP IT OFF MY THREAD :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Brother_Dave

Brother_Dave
    Expand Collapse

For those that have tried the AL8 less bright midday less bloom!

Can you try this one out? It might be better, worse, i dont know.. I like it better, even less bright but also some changes to the tonemapper, making it more satureated here and there and waht not... :)

Install:

1. ALTERNATIVE 1 - Open the Beamng launcher, hit Support Tools, Clear your cache. Dont start Beamng.
    ALTERNATIVE 2 (i do this) - Go to your Documents/Beamng.drive-folder and delete the latest cache-folder, at the moment its called "cache.0.20.2.0". That way you wont loose as much stuff as compared to the Clear Cache-option.

2. Unzip the folders and the postfxpreset-file from the AL8BetterThanTheLastOne.zip into your Documents/Beamng.drive-folder so that you get the folders called Art, Core, Levels, Shaders and the AL8.postfxpreset-file into your Documents/Beamng.drive-folder

3. Open Beamng, click Options from the main menu. Make sure you have advanced menus activated to see the POST FX button.

4. Scroll down so that you see the POSTFX button. Click it. Click 'Load Preset...' and look up the file that was in the AL8BetterThanTheLastOne.zip. should look something like this:
    'C:\Users\YourUserName\Documents\BeamNG.drive\AL8.postfxpreset' , that way you also know youve extracted the folders and file correctly.
    * Make sure you activated all the PostFx stuff including light rays, its check boxes are above the POST FX button.

Done!

Changelog from AL8lessthisandthatyadayada to AL8BetterThanTheLastOne:

• Stuff

Looks like this but took and uploaded these with the ingame photo mode and the screenshots quality doesnt seem great honestly lol :D

Added a vid of it:

Attached Files:

#155 Brother_Dave, Dec 10, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2020
  16. Exchy

Exchy
    Expand Collapse

Why beamng has to have a bad AA ffs, why is everyting from mid to far is badly edged

• Like Like x 1
  17. Brother_Dave

Brother_Dave
    Expand Collapse

Added a vid of the AL8 Better Th....... gaaah shouldve named it something else lol, longest name :D

18. Haida

Haida
    Expand Collapse

Hello, so uh I have a big problem with this mod.

It completely ruined my games graphics.

Previously, it looked like this:
    screenshot_2020-12-13_11-06-39.png
    It was fine, but after seeing your mod I decided to check it out and see what it would look like.

It looked like this.
    screenshot_2020-12-13_11-15-29.png
    It's better, but bit too bright and I noticed a performance drop. (from 70fps to 50fps)

I didn't like that performance drop, so I uninstalled the mod.
    After that my game looks like this...
    screenshot_2020-12-13_12-18-24.png

And I can't do anything about it!

Please explain how can I fix it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Exchy

Exchy
    Expand Collapse

How exactly you uninstalled, write the algorythm

• Like Like x 1
  20. Brother_Dave

Brother_Dave
    Expand Collapse

Sry to hear that. As Exchy said, how did you uninstall? Also, the screenshots from your game with my mod looks off, sure you have all PostFx-stuff on?
    Anyways, what you need to do is delete the folders from the zip and clear your cache (you can just delete the Cache.0.2.0 folder to do that). What might be left is the postfx preset thats still could be using mine so go to Documents/Beamng.drive/Settings and delete the default postfx preset file. That should cause the game to reload it from the vanilla game files.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice