1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.30 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

grass lightning

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by kStor2poche, Feb 16, 2018.

1. kStor2poche

kStor2poche
    Expand Collapse

Hello, I'd like to know : would it be possible do use somme AO on the grass because, in it's current state, its shading sometimes look a bit off of the global visual quality of the game...

Thanks in advance,

kStor2poche (aka JPHL of course)

2. kStor2poche

kStor2poche
    Expand Collapse

#2 kStor2poche, Feb 17, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
  3. kStor2poche

kStor2poche
    Expand Collapse

Hey, could a dev at least answer me "stfu" or something like that if he doesn't want to answer ?
    nevermind...

#3 kStor2poche, Feb 20, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
  4. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

Bear with us please, it's easy to miss a post when you check hundreds of them a day :)

I don't understand what you mean with 'AO on grass'.
    Any example?

5. kStor2poche

kStor2poche
    Expand Collapse

What I mean by that is actually the fact that, in its current state, the ssao has no impact on grass, as seen on this picture :

I tried to adjust most of the settings but nothing did the job for the grass wich has still an inextistent shading...
    And, for the moment, I can upload a video that might clarify the whole thing for you if my words are not so clear for you... But, if you understood the thing (and sorry for my last answer of the thread :/), could you make sure that the ao has an impact on the grass too as it has an impact on trees ?

6. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

The grass in the game is all "billboards" and hence designed to help immensely with frame rates.
    As far as I know trying to apply shadows to these is not worth the hit on performance nor even
    remotely in the devs minds. Attempts at making shadows for low shrubs via meshes has shown
    major league framerate and playability issues. I empathize with you though, the current scheme
    kinda' kills realism.

7. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

Ah well, that's limitation of the current (and super old) ambient occlusion technique. It's not exactly beautiful and in certain cases, like above, does not do much.
    We have in plans to improve those effects at some point in development.

8. kStor2poche

kStor2poche
    Expand Collapse

Ok ! Thanks a lot for your answers !

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice