GTA V style parrallax grass possible?

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by Brother_Dave, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Brother_Dave

Brother_Dave
    Expand Collapse

Looking at this screenshot from GTA V made me wonder if its possible to make parallax grass in this style in BeamNG? (or is this another style of grass? Looks a lot like dots) to get rid of the billboards. If this style is possible, could it impact CPU/GPU in a positive way, compared to billboards? Also this would take away the squareness of grass when applied to massive terrains such as @bob.blunderton s Tennessee ?

What do you guys think?

2. Cheekqo

Cheekqo
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

I do think this goes into the suggestions?
    You've been here since 2012, I believe you should know the rules. :\

3. Brother_Dave

Brother_Dave
    Expand Collapse

I did struggle to choose where to put the thoughts. I don't know if its possible or not yet but the technique isn't new so theres quite a chance it is in fact possible already, so I if want to create it then this is where I go, right? Otherwise, if it was a suggestion it would be assumed that it is not possible yet and that's about the answer id get in such a case.
    Don't take me wrong, I like it when ppl help eachother out in the forums, or correct eachother for that matter :)

4. Cheekqo

Cheekqo
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

The forums have become a dark place since you joined..

5. Brother_Dave

Brother_Dave
    Expand Collapse

Google heavily and well T3D fixes parallax ground materials and thinking abit further i might already seen it in use in BNG.

6. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

GTA V makes heavy uses of parallax.
    But also GTA V has bleeding-edge tech behind it in terms of gfx.

The engine does support parallax, so it should be possible if you set it up correctly, but it may be quite a performance hog if used that extensively.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Brother_Dave

Brother_Dave
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for that, ill test and see what results i get but as you say it will probably eat up alot of performance if there is alot of parallax in the same frame.

8. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

If we can get it not to render past 100~200m it won't eat up that much, and then keep it from rendering when it's hidden.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice