WIP GW Customs Covet Pack "Updated"-Taking a small break, I will not abandon this don't worry

Discussion in 'Mods and Skins' started by glendwelch1, Nov 16, 2017.

?

Which Engines would you guys prefer to be in this Covet build?

1. Boxer 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. V6

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. 500HP NA 1.6L i4

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. Rotary ;)

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  5. All the above

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. glendwelch1

glendwelch1
    Expand Collapse

Hello, My name is Glen. I am completely new to the Beamng modding scene and would love to post some progress of my first mod I am currently working on to see you guys feedback, Thanks

The mod currently includes Custom engine sounds, various custom suspension types, custom engines, turbos, transmissions, complete RWD conversion for the Covet, as well as different differential types for both the front and rear (for AWD variants I'm still working on) as well as completed RWD variants, custom skins (And UV Mappings), thumbnails, etc... I wanted to work on many different things to get the feel for how the game is coded and to make even better mods in the future hopefully. Below are some progress pics of what I currently have completed.

Full RWD conversion parts are now fully modeled and texture and are selectable from the appropriate tabs within the parts menu, all the RWD Covets in this mod will have the correct parts upon spawning. With that being said all NON-RWD covets will have the parts available within the parts menu for manual conversion without spawning one yourself (if you feel the need). A few things I have left to do are some custom parts which will fit on the V6 and within the Covets engine bay properly such as oil cooler, turbo kit, transmission, and a few other small things, other than that this RWD conversion is basically complete :D
    upload_2017-11-23_1-18-53.png
    I have the exhaust modeled but still needs textured, and added within Beamng

Here is a normal FWD Covet for comparison
    upload_2017-11-23_1-23-42.png

Here is my progress on the full RWD conversion modeling
    upload_2017-11-21_5-48-10.png

Fitting the new exhaust
    upload_2017-11-21_5-49-7.png

And full rear suspension remodel, differential modeled, and driveshaft modeled
    upload_2017-11-21_5-50-9.png

See the V6 fits like a glove lol, honestly this took a while due to Blender mistakes causing weird bugs in game, like my gauge cluster being under the map, or how my pedals were ramming me in the face, but I have everything sorted out. I am currently finishing up the engine bay, reworking the rear suspension modeling, sway bar, exhaust, and modeling a rear transfer case as well as drive shaft for a full conversion. Honestly cant believe someone like me with zero Beamng content creation skills learned all this in about a week lol.

upload_2017-11-21_4-9-25.png

"UPDATES" I've made custom wheel and tire models as well as textures using Blender :D"
    The current rim color was just an experiment to better learn how texturing worked, the final color of these rims will be the orange you see now as well as grey, to match the Hankook livery

I am not good at modeling in Blender it's a pain in the ass and way to tedious soooo I used Wings3D for the initial modeling :p

After that I used Blender for proper smoothing, beveling, positioning, and material mapping before re-exporting to .DAE format

upload_2017-11-20_20-13-38.png

Then cleaned up the lettering a bit to make them look nicer
    upload_2017-11-20_21-3-22.png

Also here is how my custom engine sounds it is a 1.6L i4 which produces 530 HP on a N/A setup :), with turbo it pushes 800HP+ as well as changes the sound of the engine.

I really wanted to learn a bit more of the coding as well have some nice custom wheels for my future additions to the Covet pack so I went for something a bit more tedious. And yes these are the Folk 18x10 wheels currently in Beamng I wanted to see if it was possible for me to make custom textures for them without interference with the originals, after MANY failed attempts I succeeded but had to use Blender to define custom materials. Next I will be actually building custom rims and applying this new knowledge.

#1 glendwelch1, Nov 16, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Alex_Farmer557

Alex_Farmer557
    Expand Collapse

Pretty good for a first mod. Keep up the high standard!

• Like Like x 1
  3. glendwelch1

glendwelch1
    Expand Collapse

Thanks, so far I've learned every bit of the games coding myself through trial and error, still learning more though. The only thing I have yet to try is custom 3D models, I am working on that next. So far I've learnt what I currently know in just 3 days

4. Alex_Farmer557

Alex_Farmer557
    Expand Collapse

I recommend blender. STL to DAE is easy to convert with it.

5. @op@

@op@
    Expand Collapse

Very nice. Will download ISNTANTLY when it is released

6. glendwelch1

glendwelch1
    Expand Collapse

I appreciate people like what I've done so far, Thanks :D
    --- Post updated ---
    Yeah, I am unfamiliar with modeling in blender since I always use Wings 3D but I am simply going to create my models using Wings then port them to blender for dae exporting using the io mesh jbeam tools

7. glendwelch1

glendwelch1
    Expand Collapse

"UPDATE"
    Never mind I am so dumb lol I found out how to choose the export directory, although I have a strong feeling I am not doing something properly because the games crashes when I choose the wheels now :(

May need your help here, how do I export a .jbeam file from Blender I keep receiving an error saying "No folder set please go to scene" I have no clue how to define a folder there appears to be no option. I was able to get my model and texture loaded into beamng but using a jbeam from another wheel which is creating issues as they are severely misaligned which I show below

#7 glendwelch1, Nov 18, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
  8. SandwichesANDmilk

SandwichesANDmilk
    Expand Collapse

btw you can make all the wheels use the same mesh im pretty sure

9. glendwelch1

glendwelch1
    Expand Collapse

Yes I have figured this out now and the misaligned issue was simply me not applying the location,rotation, and scale withing Blender proir to exporting lol, Like I said I'm very new to this mostly trial and error learning process.
    --- Post updated ---

#9 glendwelch1, Nov 18, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice