HDD is apparently dying or something else?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by NismoR35, Oct 6, 2015.

1. NismoR35

NismoR35
    Expand Collapse

So, lately I've been noticing that my laptop isn't automatically opening/loading stuff like Skype and Mozilla Firefox freezes within seconds when opening, I went and checked around, Event Viewer's showing all these errors like this

LiveComm (32604) C:\Users\NismoR35\AppData\Local\Packages\microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalState\LiveComm\f7ebba74f6cd8e5f\120712-0049: An attempt to create the file "C:\Users\NismoR35\AppData\Local\Packages\microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalState\LiveComm\f7ebba74f6cd8e5f\120712-0049\DBStore\LogFiles\edbtmp.log" failed with system error 1392 (0x00000570): "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable. ". The create file operation will fail with error -1121 (0xfffffb9f).

The other errors relate to stuff like Firefox, which error log completely confused the hell out of me since I can't see why it stopped working. I've been told that it's very likely my HDD's about to go soon, and urged me to backup everything. But they also suggested I download stuff like crystaldiscinfo and such, but the problem is, anything I try to download on Firefox, and even IE ends up as failed, since it won't save, leading to something like the error above, to which they said that it's very likely that my HDD's dying. But I only had this laptop for roughly 1 year and the HD's already going bad but I guess it's what I get for buying a refurbished laptop off newegg for $800 bucks, but then I guess it's because of this certain laptop I bought.

These are my specs:
    Lenovo Z710 Ideapad
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.40GHz 2.39GHz
    1TB HDD
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 745M/PCIe/SSE2
    8.00GB RAM
    Windows 8.1 x64bit

Evidently this laptop is notorious because the NVIDIA graphics card that came with it was, basically "defective" and I presume the heat caused the HDD go bad, but I don't really know, but anyone have any ideas or maybe even suggest a replacement HDD?

2. randomshortguy

randomshortguy
    Expand Collapse

Sounds like a dying HDD. Have you tried CHKDSK, SFC or some third party tool? I'd suggest you try these, ideally in that order. CHKDSK was made when HDD having bad sectors was common occurrence, and it's pretty good at fixing them. It's possible to fix / cordon off the bad parts of the drive in some cases, always try that before buying anything.

If it's FUBAR, don't take it to a store; it's far to easy to fix yourself. Buy an SSD (MX100s are real nice) or if you need space instead, another HDD to replace it.

3. NismoR35

NismoR35
    Expand Collapse

Well, downloading any third party tool won't go far since the download fails immediately on both Firefox and IE due to it saying that it can't save to the directories because it says it's corrupted and unreadable, haven't tried CHKDSK yet but hope it's just bad sectors, because the last thing I need is another FUBAR'd laptop and at a very bad time of the year too.

4. NismoR35

NismoR35
    Expand Collapse

Update, just ran CHKDSK and it did it's work, and I guess it was a bad sector since now everything's working fine as it was before, though a tiny bit slower, but then that's internet connection related.

EDIT: Okay, stand corrected, SFC found something, but I'm totally lost at this point on what to do.

#4 NismoR35, Oct 7, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  5. MOHAAPlayer

MOHAAPlayer
    Expand Collapse

Well, both of my 1TB HDD's are slowly dieing and I know I should replace the main one but I don't really have the money to replace it! And I do have my Windows 10 key, I think you use the Jelly Bean Key Finder or something or rather...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice