Height map doesnt work

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by Leet34, Apr 19, 2014.

1. Leet34

Leet34
    Expand Collapse

Hi i have some problems when i try to create a new map, so i have a height map, but when i import it to editor, it is completly flat. It uses greyscale 8 bit image, but it doesnt work ? Anyone knows why ?

2. Miura

Miura
    Expand Collapse

I'm not sure if 8 bit heightmaps should work in T3D. Try converting it to 16 bits first. 8 bit would be quite rough anyway with big steps unless the height scale is only a few meters. It would be a good idea to smooth the map after converting it, or export it again with 16 bits if the original isn't 8 bit.

3. Leet34

Leet34
    Expand Collapse

Tried to convert it to 16 bit and greyscale with opacity, still shows only a flat plane ...

4. Miura

Miura
    Expand Collapse

Post the heightmap and I'll have a look at it. What settings did you use when importing to Torque?

5. Leet34

Leet34
    Expand Collapse

6. Miura

Miura
    Expand Collapse

The uploaded image is jpg, so I can't check if it's in the correct format. Looks like you had a png when importing, as it should be. Also, the jpg is 2047x2047, should be 2048.

Try importing with a smaller height scale. I think Torque could be limited in how tall the heightmap can be. It would be just huge spikes with 2 km height scale anyway.

7. Leet34

Leet34
    Expand Collapse

Hmm maybe its jpg because its uploaded here, originally its png and 2048 x 2048 im 100000% sure. Ok i will try smaller size.

8. Straubz

Straubz
    Expand Collapse

looking at the way you imported it, you have made it 2048m high, try something like 200-500m.

9. Leet34

Leet34
    Expand Collapse

Damn, that was the problem, i set it that high because i thought that it is supposed to be the heightmap image size in pixels... thanks

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice