Unsolved Help with Map editor (specifically roads)

Discussion in 'World Editor' started by frappim, Oct 8, 2021.

1. frappim

frappim
    Expand Collapse

So I am trying to edit a map called Utah Extra. I want to make a large road going all around the top of the map. The problem is, if I use the texture painter to paint asphalt... it looks correct but as soon as you drive a vehicle on it, the asphalt makes no sound and for some reason you sink into the road like it's dirt.

How do I avoid using the mesh road editor. Because using that is a lot more work than just painting the road.

Or... is there a way to make the mesh road editor flush with the ground instead of it floating 3 feet and having to mode every node manually?
    20211008170053_1.jpg 20211008170916_1.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  2. ltntai

ltntai
    Expand Collapse

Utah Extra uses a depthmap that changes the terrain. You can delete the UtheTerrain.ter.depth.png to bring terrain materials back to normal depths (but you'll lose the deeper mud etc) or edit the png to match your new roads.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Artistterrymartin

Artistterrymartin
    Expand Collapse

Funny, I agree 200 percent with you there on that mesh road ease of use compared to just painting. It mostly frustrates me when it kinks or twists when not wanting it too. Mostly if just adding a short piece not the longer ones. Personally I just use the mesh roads for forming the ground to. Nice raise to mesh and lower to mesh in the terrain paint helps a lot. Increase the break angle to .5 and in crease subdivisions a couple if you know you are not going to use the mesh road when done. It will give you a smoother terrain that way if you happen to do the same thing I do. Same thing Car_Killer did in his video. In case you have not seen it. BeamNG.drive 0.23 - Simple Map Tutorial - YouTube
    --- Post updated ---
    I bet that us what was making my old gridmap conversion track get flat tires on the new terrain. It was exactly where the old test strips for mud was before they updated the map. I spend 2 entire days trying to fix it. Makes sense now. I brought a 3d model from blender and made a band aid basically over that spot.

4. frappim

frappim
    Expand Collapse

So I managed to use Mesh roads for my entire highway... and I saved it successfully. and when I drag the zip file over to the multiplayer server, there is either no ground at all, only my roads, or the ground is the original Utah without any edits but roads are still there.

How do I save my edited terrain so it actually carries over when I move the zip file?

5. ltntai

ltntai
    Expand Collapse

Saved changes go to levels folder in your user folder, in this case to /BeamNG.drive/0.23/levels/utahextra/
    Cut and paste the files from there to /BeamNG.drive/0.23/mods/unpacked/utahextrads/levels/utahextra/

That path is created when you unpack the level with the ingame mod manager. Then just pack the level with the mod manager.

Before sharing it with anyone read the rules, copyrights, this thread https://www.beamng.com/threads/please-delete-this-thread.79306/page-4#post-1369397 ,and best if you contact the map author DrowsySam for a permission to do so.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice