1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.32 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

High end GPU requirements

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by joshnm1635, Jan 6, 2018.

1. joshnm1635

joshnm1635
    Expand Collapse

We apologize for the long post, but we bought a PC for our son and can't get the game to run smoothly. We are NOT computer savvy parents and any help is much appreciated.
    • We bought a computer to meet mid range requirements for BeamNG Drive. We got no audio and glitchy, sluggish graphics.
    • We purchased a new GPU GTX 730 card to upgrade the GPU that came with the PC. We now have audio and slight game improvement but still glitchy and sluggish graphics.
    • Now we would like to purchase a new computer, the SkyTech ArchAngel GTX 1050 Ti Gaming Computer Desktop PC FX-6300, but want to make sure it meets the high end requirements this time, especially for the GPU:
      • Here the PCs specs:
        • AMD FX-6300 3.50GHz/4.1 Turbo 6-Core; AMD 970 Chipset Gaming Motherboard (Not Generic Motherboard)
        • 1 TB HD
        • 8GB DDR3
        • Windows 10 64-bit
        • GTX 1050 2GB GDDR5 Graphics Card
    • We noticed the GTX 780 is more expensive that the GTX 1050. This is why we're wondering if this PC will run the game smoothly.
    THANK YOU!

2. FS16

FS16
    Expand Collapse

The 1050 ti will run the game just fine, although I would look for a more modern processor, since those FX chips run slow and hot. preferably anything by intel that's 4th gen or newer.

3. Re:Z_IA

Re:Z_IA
    Expand Collapse

Hello, and welcome to the Forums!

Your computer specs appear to meet the high-end requirements for running BeamNG in every category except graphics card, so you should be able to achieve smooth performance fairly easily. Yes, the 1050 is less powerful than the 780, but not to such a degree that it will make the game unplayable. If you do have any problems, I'd recommend just turning down or disabling dynamic reflections in the graphics options menu. It should significantly lessen the load on your GPU.

I hope that helped! If you have any more questions, feel free to ask!

4. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Limit resolution to 1280x720, 1050Ti is fine for that resolution and achieves 60fps on most maps, but 1080p is bit much to ask from the card.

For the settings do this:
    upload_2018-1-7_0-58-20.png
    upload_2018-1-7_0-58-5.png

After that turn grass density down and set Disable shadows to Partial

If still having problems running the game, select disable shadows to All

You can play full screen too, but keep resolution at 1280x720 to be able to maintain 60fps all times, because when you do that game is smooth as a silk. Vsync will limit fps to 60 and that is smoothest you can achieve, for example 80fps without vsync is less smooth for me than 60fps with vsync.

AMD FX, I have read that it is not best suited for this game, but situation has improved from few versions back, but 6 vehicles or less might work best.

Some bigger maps are pushing limits of the game engine and such don't run 60fps with any computer with shadows on, also if you drive during the night with lots of headlights, then shadows are going to cause slowdown again.

More information about performance with 1050Ti can be found from my performance testing thread https://www.beamng.com/threads/your-performance-testing-results.37866/

5. Ty2525

Ty2525
    Expand Collapse

The fx 6300 is fine, so is the 1050ti however I would get the 4gb model, this game needs a lot of vram and 4gb would be enough to run the game at 1080p no problem though I am sure the 2gb model could run at 1080p too since the game isn't graphically intensive, but other games assuming the system will play other games will benefit from the 4gb model and only costs like 20$ more.
    Maybe its just me but I can play gta 5 at 1440p with the card, maybe mines defective? The game depends on the cpu way more than the gpu so the 1050ti (4gb) can run the game at 1080p. I tested it.....Biggest map in beamng drive like american road or something and checked gpu usage pretty much what I expected...1080p everything maxed out and it was 40% used, the 4gb of vram was full in like 3 seconds of loading the map but even while driving fast (200mph) I couldn't get it to fail at rendering the map or details as well as it didn't studder. like I said, maxed out settings ( reflections, light rays, the advanced settings in both game and nvidia control panel) without any issues, I have the evga 1050ti on this system and I don't see any issues with it running the game at 1080p or 1440p other than vram limitations and at 1080p it doesn't effect performance. I run fortnite at maxed settings other than resolution (that is at 1440p) and it uses 80% of the card. I think you are crazy if you think 720p is the best the card can do, this is 2018 gpus are stronger.

#5 Ty2525, Jan 7, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  6. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Again https://www.beamng.com/threads/your-performance-testing-results.37866/ read and understand, participate.

Sure I can run Pikes peak everything maxed out and probably with 1440p, you show me data or video of 1050Ti running West Coast usa (or other vanilla maps) at constant 60fps at 1080p then I might believe.

Point being, it hugely varies between maps what details you can use, settings I posted are making sure ALL possible maps would run, without need of constantly adjusting as OP pointed out they are not expert gamers.

When your getting 100% cpu load on single thread that runs graphics you end up getting low gpu load and fps goes down real fast, certain graphics setting cause that and especially certain maps.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice