Unsolved Hopper clutch burning with any tires wider than 20 inches

Discussion in 'Mod Support' started by nachtstiel, Dec 10, 2020.

1. nachtstiel

nachtstiel
    Expand Collapse

Since I started to make large tires, I noticed that tires wider than 20 inches will cause the Hopper's clutch to melt. The temperature increases even when the clutch should be locked.

I recreated the Hopper's drivetrain in the D-series and the issue was not duplicated. I have been using really big tires on every vehicle that has 6 lug hubs and so far none of them have this issue.

All tests were run with the most powerful engine available, the race transmission, and the 66x25 inch tires from my really big tires mod. No tests were performed with any mods aside from my tire mod and the vehicles specified.

Gear ratios were:
    • Diffs:
      • 6:1
    • Transmission
      • 1st- 5:1
      • 2nd- 4.6:1
      • 3rd- 4.2:1
      • 4th- 3.8:1
      • 5th- 3.4:1
      • 6th- 3.0:1
    • Some transmissions have different max ratios available, so I set first gear to the highest possible and followed the same intervals.
      • This makes for some seriously close gears, but I want to torture the clutch as much as possible. to try and replicate the scenario
    • The clutch failing in this way is super obvious from normal failures as the temp will increase to 900 even with light throttle application.

The vehicles I have tested are:
    • No burning clutch:
      • D-series
      • Roamer
      • Sunburst
      • Cherrier FCV
      • Bolide
      • SBR4
      • Covet
      • Ibishu 200BX
      • Barstow
      • Piccolina
      • DSC Scarab(mod)
      • Trackfab Ultimate(mod)
    • Burning clutches:
      • Hopper
      • H-series
      • Moonhawk
      • Bluebuck
      • Grand Marshall
      • Gavril Vertex(mod)
    • No results due to axles breaking
      • ETK K series
    I am not expecting help with other's mods, I am including them to see if there is some sort of correlation between the ones that melt their clutch with wider tires.

My mod with all of the tires can be found at https://www.beamng.com/resources/really-big-tires.15368/

The version with monster truck wheels for street cars is awaiting approval in the repo.

#1 nachtstiel, Dec 10, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
  2. ThatCarGuyDownTheStreet

ThatCarGuyDownTheStreet
    Expand Collapse

just use manual mode i guess, unless the clutch is overheating without any drivetrain stress

3. nachtstiel

nachtstiel
    Expand Collapse

I apologize, I should have specified that this is with any manual transmission. Funnily enough, the automatic transmissions work just fine. And it does not affect any other tire on the really big tires mod.

Here is a video of the issue in action

4. zacster95

zacster95
    Expand Collapse

--- Post updated ---
    With the wide axles and 25×25 the steering ends up breaking after some use even sitting still just a few left rights and it breaks

5. nachtstiel

nachtstiel
    Expand Collapse

The stock steering, and suspension in general, is not designed for 300 pound tires lol. I could add some stronger steering in the wider axles mod to compensate for that.

6. Hawaw_Dacar2

Hawaw_Dacar2
    Expand Collapse

Do you use manual clutch mode ? because beamng automatique clutch is not very good with those type of vehicle

7. nachtstiel

nachtstiel
    Expand Collapse

Same issue with both clutch modes. And this only affects the hopper. I copied everything but the node names and locations from the hopper drivetrain to the D-series and the clutch does not burn.

#7 nachtstiel, Dec 10, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
  8. KezzM8

KezzM8
    Expand Collapse

the clutch does overheat in the d series when using a decent amount of boost, i have tried every gearbox/flywheel combo and cant fix it, and autos just blow through the converter. my test vehicle was the
    .d series extended crew-cab (cab and bed removed, so bare frame)
    .100 inch tires and extended axles
    . any engine that revs high enough (7000+rpm)
    .turbo @90psi (turbo/supercharge everything mod)
    .3.08 final drive

best top speed i have reached is 1070kph using these tires (air speed!) problem is the clutch will overheat in 5th and 6th gear no matter how much throttle is applied. dropping the final drive only moves the problem to 4th gear, so thats were the high rev limit comes in handy. a handy fix would be a high performance clutch/flywheel added into the tire or axle mod, if that is possible. also, of course the driveshafts still need to be alot stronger but hey it works good enough.

9. nachtstiel

nachtstiel
    Expand Collapse

Thank you for this detailed response! I am going to try to replicate this.
    Does the clutch temp shoot up almost instantly, or is it more like a steady climb?

10. KezzM8

KezzM8
    Expand Collapse

you are welcome. Hmm i didnt check what the temp was doing sorry, i was too worried about about stopping it so i go could go faster. But as soon as i hit those gears, the clutch will slip and almost instantly overheat, even with 1/4 throttle.

11. nachtstiel

nachtstiel
    Expand Collapse

That's okay, I couldn't replicate the same level of melting as with the Hopper.

Do the RPMs sit below 1600 when you shift to 5th and 6th?
    The base game engines for the d-series are set to ride the clutch up to 1600 RPM which will end with the clutch burning if you sit there for too long with too much throttle.

Also, the reason for the broken driveshafts is the axle wrapping around under too much power. There is an indestructible driveshaft call Strong driveshaft for the standard frame, but it will break various bits when the axle wraps.

12. HeepXJ40

HeepXJ40
    Expand Collapse

I think any clutch would realistically burn up with tires that big lmfao

edit: thought that was on the tall ass tires, weird that it does it with a slightly different size.

13. nachtstiel

nachtstiel
    Expand Collapse

That's what baffled me. I initially avoided tires wider than 20 inches because I was using the hopper to test my tire ideas and thought it was a limitation of the physics engine. I worked my way back from 36 and found that 20 was where it became stable. This is why I opted for stupidly tall tires instead at first until I started modding the D-series.

What's weird is that the burning clutch occurs even if you set the top speed in first gear to 11 mph

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice