1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.30 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

How to change the destination of the Documents file?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by Snowtato, May 16, 2016.

1. Snowtato

Snowtato
    Expand Collapse

I don't have enough space on my C drive, so I want to move the beamng.Drive folder from Documents to geo (that's how I name my documents in the other drive). Is there a way? I hope so.

2. mumboking

mumboking
    Expand Collapse

Edit this file: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\BeamNG.drive\startup.ini
    Not sure if you'll need to do it for each update though.

3. Snowtato

Snowtato
    Expand Collapse

That worked! Thank you.

4. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

ANother alternative that I recommend for everyone using a small SSD boot + large hard drive secondary is relocating the windows documents library folder location.
    Untitled.png
    Right click documents in quick access on the left there (checked, its there in 7 and 8 too not just 10 as I am using, think it was a vista thing originally). Properties. Location. You can change it. Whenever any application requests to windows that it needs the documents folder, windows will point it over there instead. So I save a document in word, it defaults to D:\Documents, and BeamNG's cache is also on D without me editing startup.ini

It might not be a suitable trick for you, but just a little windows SSD/HDD split trick. The same trick can also be done with downloads, pictures, videos and music, plus any other windows folder supported by the "libraries" feature.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice