Unsolved how to get a better radiator on a mod.

Discussion in 'Mod Support' started by Sebas-Kitty, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Sebas-Kitty

Sebas-Kitty
    Expand Collapse

i've got this pessima (or permissa?) wagon mod. i've only noticed that the radiator is underperforming and i seem to be unable to even find it in the parts menu. what do i do to either upgrade it or stop the overheating ? i've got about 0% modding experience.

Attached Files:

2. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Open files of engine.jbeam of some other vehicle and find radiator from it, then compare pessima wagon engine.jbeam. Also radiator can be in it's own file, but that is not necessary.

There is also information in Wiki https://wiki.beamng.com/Engine_Thermal_Simulation

3. DatViper

DatViper
    Expand Collapse

I believe some vehicles have undergone changes in their design, resulting in the radiator slot being moved from the engine to the frame itself, or the other way around. I know this is the case with the Sunburst, it might be something similar with the Pessima. This change has resulted in engines and frames not being entirely compatible, if one is from before this change and one is from after. Usually, you will be able to use engines in a not-entirely-compatible frame, but if both the engine and the frame have a radiator slot, this can result in the inability to change the radiator, and if neither have a radiator slot, this could mean that the vehicle has no functional radiator and no radiator can be placed.
    If all mods are completely up-to-date, the simplest solution would be to open the .ZIP of the mod, navigate to vehicles\pessima\wagon_narwhal, then open the pessima_body_wagon.jbeam file with notepad or notepad++. The section right below information contains all slots the vehicle has availabe, and adding the line <["pessima_radiator","pessima_radiator", "Radiator"],> somewhere in this section should in theory allow you to place a radiator (add everything between the <>). Since the old Pessima has a hillclimb variant, there should be a powerfull enough radiator available.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

There is air cooled engine example, it is for Hopper, but you can see from it how to make engine air cooled, that is easiest way to improve cooling, no need for radiators and all that, if you just want to have it working.

Attached Files:

5. Sebas-Kitty

Sebas-Kitty
    Expand Collapse

well i see a radiator on in the engine bay soo there should be somewhere?
    --- Post updated ---
    so after checking the mod. there is no engine.jbeam (so this just mods the body then i suppose) so i need to mod the default pessima ?

Attached Files:

• Desktopscreenshot32.png
  6. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

You need to copy pessima part you want to modify to Documents\Beamng.drive\vehicles\pessima\YOURMODNAME folder, then you need to take out most of the stuff in file as you need to only have new radiator part there which you modify, mostly radiatorEffectiveness and radiatorArea.

Code:
    {
    "pessima_radiator_better_yourmoddername": {
        "information":{
            "authors":"BeamNG, YOU",
            "name":"Radiator Better uniquename",
            "value":90,
        }
        "slotType" : "pessima_radiator",
        "flexbodies": [
             ["mesh", "[group]:", "nonFlexMaterials"],
             ["pessima_radtube", ["pessima_engine","pessima_rad"]],
             ["pessima_radiator", ["pessima_rad"]],
        ],
        "mainEngine":{
            "radiatorArea":0.30, 
            "radiatorEffectiveness":6000,
            "coolantVolume":7.5,
            "radiatorFanType":"electric",
            "radiatorFanTemperature":100,
            "radiatorFanMaxAirSpeed":2,
            "thermostatTemperature":90
            },
        "beams": [
              ["id1:", "id2:"],
              {"beamType":"|NORMAL", "beamLongBound":1.0, "beamShortBound":1.0},

{"beamPrecompression":1, "beamType":"|NORMAL", "beamLongBound":1.0, "beamShortBound":1.0},
        ],
    }

You can put those to whatevername.jbeam in said folder and you should have new radiator.

However one thing bothers me, you mentioned there was no radiator to be found in parts menu, that should be there, unless some other mod conflicts with vanilla pessima.

7. Sebas-Kitty

Sebas-Kitty
    Expand Collapse

so i copy the radiator from the stock beamng folder to the beamng user folder? sorry for being so dumb haha

Attached Files:

• Desktopscreenshot33.png
  8. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, but remember it has to be vehicles\pessima\yourUniquemodname to keep things organized and to be compatible with other mods.

You can use attached file, I did not test it, but it should work, but you need to change things inside of it.

If no radiator is showing up in parts list at all, then something is breaking your vanilla Pessima.

Attached Files:

9. Sebas-Kitty

Sebas-Kitty
    Expand Collapse

after some testing the radiator shows up fine on the stock pessima cars just not that mod..

10. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Then you need to add slot to that mod, I guess.

This is what is in vanilla pessima:
    //engine
    ["pessima_fueltank","pessima_fueltank", "Fuel Tank"],
    ["pessima_engine","pessima_engine_sohc", "Engine"],
    ["pessima_radiator","pessima_radiator", "Radiator"],

This is what is in mod:
    //engine
    ["pessima_fueltank","pessima_fueltank", "Fuel Tank"],
    ["pessima_engine","pessima_engine_sohc", "Engine"],

So one line is missing, it is worth to compare vanilla pessimabody.jbeam to mod's body.jbeam and see if other slots are missing as some updates have moved things around.

11. Sebas-Kitty

Sebas-Kitty
    Expand Collapse

aye i did something right apparantly.
    thx!
    i suppose editing the original pessima engine stats would be the same procces?

Attached Files:

• Desktopscreenshot38.png
  12. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Yes, pretty much editing anything, you just make new parts so original parts won't be overwritten.

Important part is to have part names really unique, in order to avoid conflicts, which would cause your part not using right torque curve for example, giving good clear names should help with that though.

13. Sebas-Kitty

Sebas-Kitty
    Expand Collapse

hmm. i copied the engine.jbeam to my documents folder to prevent breaking the stock system and upping all the torque by 50 worked so far.. im trying to get it to reach 350km an hour (now maxes to 226) i suppose i should edit the transmission but i cant find anything related to a transmission in the pessima files.
    also i managed to add a engine option by copying the entire section and changing the names in the engine jbeam.

Attached Files:

• Desktopscreenshot41.png
  14. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

It is in transaxle file, but also you can select just race differential/gearbox from parts menu and then adjust ratios from tuning page.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice