How to import a map from another game into BeamNG.drive?

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by viciorm, Jun 8, 2017.

1. viciorm

viciorm
    Expand Collapse

I was planning to import Vice City (or at least the design of it) into BeamNG.drive, I'll deal with the roads and buildings (although Hyman Memorial Stadium, Fort Baxter and Escobar International will be difficult)

I need somewhere to start though.

2. Ewanc

Ewanc
    Expand Collapse

It would be pretty cool - if not a little bumpy - to drive around and have missions to perform on that map, using Beam vehicle physics. If this is your first experience with level building it could be a bit of a challenge. My first level was one of my scratch built GT tracks which are mesh based and it took forever to get working 100%. It is getting much easier now, with the improvements in the terrain editor with the mesh align and really smooth tools. Always keep in mind, you can't upload copyright infringing material to the Mods section, logos are off limits too.

Probably the first (and hardest) task would be to rebuild the terrain in the editor, or at least use the align with mesh tool to rough out the elevations, then delete the GTA terrain mesh from the level. Not sure if you will get flagged for doing this with a high profile piece of IP, I think its a gray area. If you know how to process GTA content and work with the terrain editor, this shouldn't be too difficult technically speaking. Figuring out how much of the map you want to create might be tricky; maps are generally 2Km square. The VC map is 14km square. Even if you go with a 8Km map, it wont all fit at full terrain resolution. San Andreas was 36 Km square!

Any buildings or texture files will have to be replaced with ones from BeamNG or something you've made or have permission to use.

#2 Ewanc, Jun 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
  3. viciorm

viciorm
    Expand Collapse

I can recreate it

Although I have other plans like my hometown...

4. crashmaster

crashmaster
    Expand Collapse

Vice city will NOT work. Crashes. I tried with only half the island and it still crashed. So no luck for porting maps from gta.

5. thomatoes50

thomatoes50
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

maybe now with level module we could dynamically load stuff but it will be hard to do anyway. It may cause trouble with collision and shuttering when loading models.

With what happen/ed to openIV i wouldn't touch any R* or T2 games if i were you

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. viciorm

viciorm
    Expand Collapse

I would take the risk because
    a) OpenIV has returned
    b) It still hasn't surfaced yet and I just need the shape of the island

7. thomatoes50

thomatoes50
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

Ok anyway you take full responsibility of what you do.

answer to b) : GTA maps are devised into neighborhood so it will be painful to look at every files to check what model are the ground. If you have enough patience go ahead

8. viciorm

viciorm
    Expand Collapse

I guess I gotta start with my hometown then

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice