Solved How to improve road signs (reflectivity) ?

Discussion in 'Mod Support' started by DePains, Nov 7, 2018.

1. DePains

DePains
    Expand Collapse

Hi,

Another thing going on with my map making : road signs. I had to allow player to see curves and slopes ahead, considering the roads I made. So I copied something from real life, which I find particularly effective. I made the diffuse and used normal+reflectivity+specular maps from "Mt Glorious" mod along with the material.cs settings.

And now I would have liked to improve two things and have a question :

1 - reflected colour : it look like reflection does not depend on the material's colour. I tried looking online for an idea but ended up trying things. I separated the mesh in Blender to have one material per colour. I assigned to it a colored cubemap does not seem to have an effect :
    Capturedcran101.png
    I also tried using the "Sub surface" thing under "Reflectivity Map", the "Effect colors [0,1]" under "Advanced" ... Well I can't find how to do that or if its possible.

2 - improve against the sun/shadowed visibility. Is it possible to make the signs more visible when against the sun without being "burned" when in the sun (as the red does not reflect red, you see a white square) ?
    Capturedcran102.png

3 - I tried looking how to make the reflectivity map myself but couldn't find the exact roles of the colour (grayscale) and the transparency (alpha). Could someone tell me ?

Thanks !

2. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Reflectivity is kinda like chrominess afaik. It works for mirror like stuff. What you want is emissive, but I'm afraid that as currently lighting works for daytime, but is not worked so much for night time yet, there is no perfect solution, however I don't know everything! :D

3. DePains

DePains
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for your input !

As said by the editor "Emissive causes an object not to be affected by lights. Good for light sources."
    And in fact, with that checked signs are not shadowed by trees or anything and they aren't reflective as well. They are more visible but just too weird.

I also tried make the material for the red part glow :
    Capturedcran103.png
    Weird but could pass for some futuristic road signs...

As far as realism goes, I think that the Mt Glorious signs settings are the best compromise. BeamNG guys know their stuff.

Edit : and the glowing effect appears too late to enhance signs visibility at high speeds. Might be my graphic settings (?).

4. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Oh material editor, that thing can break your map totally, sometimes it puts something in materials.cs which makes materials no longer work at all etc. Be very careful with that!

Glow might work better night, but yeah, putting good amount of specular might be currently then only way if emissive can't be something less than full on.

Light tends to be bit like such that to get good night time driving one would need to set up night version of map, because daytime and night time just don't work with same settings currently.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. DePains

DePains
    Expand Collapse

I know, i already lost a map with it, and with the "Clear cache button" ;).
    In fact I said that but I edit the material.cs generally. But I also have a copy on the side to test things with the material editor (quicker than edit material.cs and reload map).

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice