How to make materials (without them getting auto deleated) [terrains]

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by aljowen, Aug 18, 2013.

1. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Im currently in the position where i am having to remake the material files for my map (for the 7 billionth time).
    Every time the game is updated all the materials i have made for my map get deleted. All i want is an empty materials list for my level which only contains the materials that i have made without any of the grid ones, or a covet steering wheel. I feel like i have tried so many times to get it to work but there is no "save as" button or way to tell the map to locate them from elsewhere.

Is it possible for me to tell the game to save the materials in the folder that i am making my level in?

Thanks for any help, i feel like im going to have a mouse sticking out my pc monitor if i cant get it to work soon :p

2. WacKEDmaN

WacKEDmaN
    Expand Collapse

materials.cs is your friend!...find the main one (its in base\art while building)...and back it up.....after the update..replace the file and your materials should show up (took me hours to work that one out!)

3. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

So how would i package this map for distribution?

#3 aljowen, Aug 20, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  4. LJFHutch

LJFHutch
    Expand Collapse
    Environment Artist
    BeamNG Team

Torque3D can [mostly] edit materials without any issues, however as you noted when you export to it with a material which doesn't exist it will be placed in the main art folder.

Always manually create materials first and place them in the correct material.cs (alongside your model is preferable), then you can edit them ingame.

5. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

How do you get the material selector to pick up the materials.cs file that is in my maps folder?

I have copied one of your materials.cs files and then deleted all but one of the materials in it and changed it to what i need and gave it a new tag to make it easy to find but it isn't showing up inside Torque3D.

Thanks

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice