Solved How to raise the map size higher than 2048

Discussion in 'Mod Support' started by Dealercrash, Oct 3, 2016.

1. Dealercrash

Dealercrash
    Expand Collapse

Hello and I am creating a map, I am wondering if I can make the ground bigger than 2048.
    Capture.JPG

2. torsion

torsion
    Expand Collapse

Yes, for larger terrains you'll want to import from a heightmap. You'll want to do that anyway since the T3D editor doesn't give sufficient tools to create a "good" terrain anyway - and why bother with a big terrain if it won't be good? Take a look here to get started with making better terrains: http://wiki.beamng.com/Toolchain_overview#Terrain

Note that at times in the past importing heightmaps has been very tricky (1, 2). I don't think that's the case right now fortunately!

I recommend working on your level from this (unzipped) path:
    • C:/Users/username/Documents/BeamNG.drive/levels/levelname
    After a quick test it seems that importing from this directory works fine for me:
    • C:/Users/username/Documents/BeamNG.drive/yourheightmap.png
    Please note that you may not have two functioning terrains in place at the same time. You must delete your old terrain and F11 back out of the editor in order for the newly imported terrain to start functioning! Don't forget to F11 back into the editor and save as well if you need to!

3. Dealercrash

Dealercrash
    Expand Collapse

Oh okay, i have never dealt with height maps, it looks pretty hard

4. torsion

torsion
    Expand Collapse

Making a nice map is "hard" in general - there are many aspects and all of them require effort. With that said, I don't think it's out of reach for most people - it's just a project which requires a lot of time and effort.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

....and concentration, lots of concentration:p.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice