HP Limit and damage for Clutch and Transmissions.

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by hirochiibishu, Mar 15, 2021.

1. hirochiibishu

hirochiibishu
    Expand Collapse

In real life, the next biggest concern after increasing the engine power / carrying heavy load is whether the driveline can handle the additional stress. In beamNG only 1 aspect is simulated, that is:

-Clutch that gets hot and slip after some temperature if you slip it too much (to start off the hill with half clutch depressed)

Right now in beamNG, i can get into a miramar, upgrade the engine with huge turbo and huge radiator, and tow several tons of load in the back, uphill, in stock transmission, without any problem. In real life it should not be possible, if the miramar is a manual, that clutch would be gone in a minute / the transmission gear would not like it and decided to grenade itself. if it's an auto that AT transmission would get very hot very quickly.
    In car with DCT, i can slip the clutch indefinitely without any consequences (e.g creeping @ 1km/h in very steep hill with load in the back) since temperature is not simulated here.
    Finally in car with CVT, i can upgrade the engine to any power that i want and have that Belt intact during heavy driving, which would be wonderful in real life but sadly won't be possible.

With respect to the realistic simulation of the engine, i think there should be improvement in this aspect as well like for example:

-Clutch that slip due too much power even if fully engaged
    -Clutch that goes kaboom due too much power
    -Manual transmission can seize and lock up if it can't handle the stress
    -Conventional AT Transmission Slip and shifting problem
    -AT Transmission overheating after spirited driving / carrying heavy load (happens alot in real life)
    -DCT Clutch temperature simulation and shifting hesitation under heavy load (i saw it in heavily modified dct car like stage 3 Golf)
    -CVT Belt Snapping
    -Limp mode

I don't know about the detail of the programming, but for this idea to be made i think some of the logic from engine stress and temperature simulation can be borrowed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. default0.0player

default0.0player
    Expand Collapse

This is because stock BeamNG transmissions strength are "auto-calculated" More information
    If not "auto-calculated", you need to model every clutch in every engine tuning, too muchfriction will stall an underpowered engine at start, too little friction will slip with overpowered engine, which make modding/changing parts a pain in the a**. "Auto-calculation" greatly simplifies the process.
    It's possible to snap driveshafts w/o crashing, though
    Wdym "slip"? the torque converter slips on a regular basis, the gearbox itself? The planetary gearbox in automatics, unlike syncromesh manual, can transfer power during shifts, which is more powerful and durable than you think. The concept "torque converter in an automatic is like the clutch in manual" is wrong since you can't put a TC on a manual bc a TC cannot fully disengage power.
    Heat generated in AT/DCT is "abs(inputAV * inputTorque - outputAV1 * outputTorque)" but is currently not simulated
    No one want that, it'll ruin all the fun

#2 default0.0player, Mar 15, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. hirochiibishu

hirochiibishu
    Expand Collapse

TIL, atleast the dev already put in the calculation. So simply modifying the "lockTorque" parameter of a clutch to a lower value will do this job then?

Yeah i read it in other thread somewhere that it's possible to snap a driveshaft, but i think the limit is set waaay to high right? look at my example with a miramar, it would not be possible IRL.

Regular AT Transmission can slip if it's going bad or overpowered, my old car certainly can lol. Tried flushing the fluid but still slipping, mechanic diagnosed clutch pack(?) inside is bad / gear is worn out. Same symptom as manual transmission slipping, foot to the floor in D, rev goes up, car goes nowhere.

Any reason it's not simulated yet?

Lmao yeah this is kinda on the extreme side..

4. combatwombat96

combatwombat96
    Expand Collapse

But you can though, look at the Chrysler Fluid Drive transmission
    --- Post updated ---
    And the "High Drive" too, i cant remember if its called that however, it is also an early '50s Chrysler semi auto

5. default0.0player

default0.0player
    Expand Collapse

There's a clutch between the torque converter and the manual gearbox

Well there is a model without clutch but use an "interrupter switch" similar to fuel cut in sequential transmissions.

#5 default0.0player, Mar 15, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
  6. combatwombat96

combatwombat96
    Expand Collapse

Oh, well still, it prove that you can put a converter on a manual 'box

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice