WIP Hyperion Harrier

Discussion in 'Community Mods - Archived' started by NinjaFinch, Oct 27, 2013.

1. NinjaFinch

NinjaFinch
    Expand Collapse

I got some suspension work in! Front end has SLA double wishbones, and 5-link IRS (AWD variants). Ignore the super crude transaxle/engine, they're there for layout planning. Also got some engine calculations in, the 1.6L will throw out about ~130 hp @ ~4000 RPM, while the 1.9L will produce ~145 hp @ 4300 RPM. Expect one particular variant (GX-e) to put out about 314 hp @ 8200 RPM.

Front suspension, front of vehicle to bottom of screen.
    HAR_FSusp.jpg

Rear suspension, same deal.
    HAR_RSusp.jpg

Driveline layout, front to the top of screen.
    HAR_Susp_Overview.jpg

As a moderately ironic aside, my (actual) car failed the annual provincial safety inspection today for worn suspension (it needed ball joints).

ಠ_ಠ

2. Rand0mPsych0

Rand0mPsych0
    Expand Collapse

Would you say that 3Ds Max is better than Blender, because I have a 3 year student license to 3Ds, but I have to wait till I go to school on Monday to download it.

Was wondering if it was worth the struggle.

3. NinjaFinch

NinjaFinch
    Expand Collapse

Blender is probably a lot easier to work with in terms of file conversion. If you can get over the super screwy interface (which I decided not to do), you'd probably have an easier time once your model is complete. I personally prefer 3DS Max because the interface and controls are far more intuitive, at the trade off of having subpar exporting tools when it comes time to convert to .DAE format, which can make jBeam testing a royal PITA. There are a few workarounds to that, so it's worth trying out if you have a student license.

4. Fundador

Fundador
    Expand Collapse

I use 3DS max 2014 because i couldn't stop clicking the wrong mouse button on blender and it drove me insane. I would recommend getting it, and i think the export/import tools are actually superior to Blender on latest editions,

5. Dummiesman

Dummiesman
    Expand Collapse

THIS, Is why I closed and uninstalled Blender in about 5 minutes.

And got this :)

6. Rand0mPsych0

Rand0mPsych0
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, I kind of hate the way Blender works, it's a bit annoying and I usually quit.

I did have AutoDesk Maya for like a week before my laptop got corrupted, I liked it way better, plus it had built in tutorials. Made a Volvo sedan-looking vehicle in a matter of days.

I'll probably just download 3Ds Max on my phone when I go to school/town, my teacher throws a fit when she finds someone downloading.

On topic: The new project is coming along very well.

7. NinjaFinch

NinjaFinch
    Expand Collapse

You must be better at it, or have better luck than me. FBX always has to screw something up.

Back to the project:
    HAR_97B_Preview.jpg
    The greenhouse is more or less there. There's some tidying up that needs to happen with regards to topology, and I still need to go over it again to add detailing, but the shapes are all there. While I'm at it, I'll be simultaneously tweaking the jBeam. The unibody is in-game without much complaining, which leaves node weight/beamspring tuning.

HAR_EngBay.jpg
    Good news: everything fits. Again, I'll be back again to add detail.

HAR_97B_Profile.jpg
    I also shortened it a touch, taking out about 7 cm from behind the B-pillar which brings the total length down to 4.616m. The rear doors originally had the proportions of an extended wheelbase Crown Vic, which doesn't work at all on a midsize car like this.

HAR_97B_Rear.jpg
    Finally, I got the taillights roughed out. Feel free to critique/comment/curse/vomit uncontrollably. This is the internet, after all.

And if you somehow didn't notice already; yes, there will be a taxi version.

8. falcon xr8

falcon xr8
    Expand Collapse

Awesome. Reminds me of a new style nyc taxi.:cool:

9. go14smoke

go14smoke
    Expand Collapse

This project seems promising!! :cool:

10. Rand0mPsych0

Rand0mPsych0
    Expand Collapse

What are your ideas for an emblem?

If you want, I really want to model custom emblems.

I just started a new project, Vulcan Motorsports Aspire V10 (My original, it's sortof an American supercar meant to redefine what America can do in the car industry.)

- Inspired partly by you-

11. NinjaFinch

NinjaFinch
    Expand Collapse

I'm thinking of incorporating something along the lines of the Douglas and Mooney logos (below), hinting at the company's past as an aircraft manufacturer. I don't have a final product, but I'd like it to fit into the yellow emblem up front (much like the Saab Griffon roundel).

douglas_aircraft.gif Mooney_aircraft_logo.png

Sounds awesome! How far along is it? (Enough for progress pics?)

12. Rand0mPsych0

Rand0mPsych0
    Expand Collapse

Uh, I did have a rough hood and fenders modeled, but I accidentally didn't save, lost the fenders.

Plus, I am going to start in 3DS Max 2014, just got it yesterday, and man is it confusing. (forgot everything about it, slowly learning stuff though.)

I want to wait till the 18th to get into any serious modeling on it, my internet is slow and speeds up on the 18th of every month. I want to watch some tutorials.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice