1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.30 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

I found out what causes the unwanted vibration (lag) on my G27...

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by 1UZ-FE, Dec 7, 2016.

1. 1UZ-FE

1UZ-FE
    Expand Collapse

There's no way I'm not the only one. As some of you may have seen my postings about the FFB with the G27 wheel, I have yet to find the culprit - until now.

Upon messing around with the graphics settings, I noticed that certain levels had different amounts of vibration lag. Even further, I found that changing certain video settings took away or added this vibration from input lag on the wheel. If any of you are experiencing what I am, this may fix it. I hate to say it because this really takes away from the visual experience.

Go and disable your shadows completely. It is night and day. I hope that this is something that can be solved in the future. Having high end specs, but having to sacrifice all shadows, especially when I don't lose any FPS while having them on can be lame. There are bigger fish to fry and it'll be some time if it even is possible... it just would be nice to know if there is a potential solution in the future.

#1 1UZ-FE, Dec 7, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  2. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

What are your PC Specs?

How much FPS are you getting normally, and how much disabling the shadows?

Any level/vehicle?

3. stbest95

stbest95
    Expand Collapse

wow really? i will have to try this for myself since ive been playing around with the ffb forever.

4. 1UZ-FE

1UZ-FE
    Expand Collapse

I've got an i7 2600k overclocked to 4.6 ghz. 4x4gb vengeance ram running at 1600 mhz. 2x PNY 120 gb SSD on RAID 0. GTX 950.

The FPS differences vary from level to level. To make the best of it, I will do this for 4 varying levels - one small map with heavy shadows, one big and small map with heavy shadows, one small and big map with little shadows. I will test FPS for each level and tick the shadow setting and report the FFB experience. Gonna use one vehicle to make it simple for now, which is a RWD ETKi 3.0L with about 12 psi.

Map: | FPS (All shadows/none): | FFB Lag/Shadow Significance: | Significance Level(1-5):

Generic City | 30/31 | Yes | 4
    GhostsDesert | 36/34 | Yes | 1.5
    Hirochi Raceway | 30/25 | No | N/A

I just want to stop here and make a very important note. As you can see how shadows in Hirochi Raceway has little or no effect on the FFB lag improvement, I found yet another setting that has heavy influence on FFB in certain maps.

Dynamic Reflections!! Turn it off!!

As the FFB lag is quite bad in Hirochi Raceway, even with disabling all shadows, after turning off Dynamic Reflections completely it restored the proper FFB response. It seems that you must turn it off entirely, as leaving it on and trying to minimize all values under the DR settings does nothing.

Similarly, in the Tennessee map disabling shadows hardly does anything. This weird because the map is so huge and has lots of shadows to render. What truly helps with the FFB is disabling dynamic reflections completely. If it helps, I am getting about low 40s in this map with all shadows disabled and 34 FPS with all shadows enabled. I really hope this helps diagnosing this issue!
    --- Post updated ---

Here are my settings. Grass Density is all the way up. Please ignore my other screen.

To further add from more studying:

Turning off Anti-Aliasing Also seems to reduce a nice little bit of FFB lag.

Nordschliefe has almost no FFB lag with all shadows on but no Dynamic Reflection! There are quite a bit of trees, too. Even further, turning on dynamic reflection and enabling all shadows on this specific map still has very minimal FFB lag!

This concludes that as much as Dynamic Reflections, shadow disabling, and AA can improve the FFB lag, the map that is loaded is the biggest factor on the amount of lag you will get off the bat. Vehicles do have an effect on initial lag as well, but not by much for the most part and it doesn't seem to vary much either.

#4 1UZ-FE, Dec 8, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. stenyak

stenyak
    Expand Collapse
    Programmer & Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

Vibrations are very hard to remove, due to the delay that information has from the steering wheel to the physics engine, and viceversa (delays in firmware, chips, usb bus, drivers, windows operating system, input/output libraries, and the game itself).

Our force feedback system works in conjunction with the input system, in order to try and reduce the vibrations as much as possible. FFB works at 2KHz when possible, while input works at graphics FPS rate. If the framerate is low, then the quality/smoothness of input will suffer too, and as a consequence, FFB will have more troubles trying to counteract the unwanted vibrations.

So yes, the higher the FPS, the better the FFB will be. We are aware this is not great and we want to improve this situation but haven't been able to allocate time for it in the last year, unfortunately.

• Informative Informative x 2
  6. 1UZ-FE

1UZ-FE
    Expand Collapse

That's actually quite a smart way to deal with it for now, very interesting to know that it switches frequencies, I did not know that! I'll be happy waiting for days to months to years, as long as we can say it is possible, that's what counts!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice