1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.30 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

I Have a Few Questions about my processor and motherboard chipsets

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by MegaEpicDaniel 2, Nov 20, 2016.

Tags:
  1. MegaEpicDaniel 2

MegaEpicDaniel 2
    Expand Collapse

Can anyone recommend me a motherboard that supports i7 2600 with PCI express 3.0?. Want to replace my old motherboard, and what is the difference between a Zxx,Hxx, Bxx and Pxx chipset I kinda don't understand ?.
    -Dan

2. randomshortguy

randomshortguy
    Expand Collapse

Why would you replace an old motherboard with another old motherboard? Getting your hands on old motherboard is very difficult and often expensive - I'm looking for an Asus Maximus VII Impact (only 1 generation old) and it's near impossible for a reasonable price. Also, if your current motherboard isn't broken, there isn't any point to replacing your motherboard. Consider getting a current gen motherboard + CPU if you're looking to upgrade.

About intel chipsets:

Z-series: Top of the line. Overclocking, SLI, more SATA ports, etc < Recommended if K-series CPU
    H-seres: Mid-tier. No overclocking, a few less ports, and no SLI support. < Recommended if non-K series CPU
    B-series: Low-tier. Extremely basic motherboard with only a few ports and very limited features. No overclocking, no SLI, etc. < Not really recommended

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. MegaEpicDaniel 2

MegaEpicDaniel 2
    Expand Collapse

Oh forgot to include the reason why I want to replace my motherboard, it only supports PCI express 1.0 and my video card supports PCI 2.0. my motherboard Is HP factory and it is slow and had it for 4 years.

4. randomshortguy

randomshortguy
    Expand Collapse

Get the cheapest H-series board you can find, as long as it's from a reputable brand. They'd never sell an aftermarket board with PCIe 1.0, so just find a cheap one and it'll definitely have PCIe 2.0.

5. Funky7Monkey

Funky7Monkey
    Expand Collapse

SLI support doesn't come from Intel. It comes from Nvidia, meaning that H- and B-series boards can support SLI. Also, H-series boards are not necessarily mid-tier boards. H170 boards are top-tier, typically as full featured as Z170 boards, just without OCing support. H110 boards, however, are much cheaper and for low to mid range computers. B-series boards are considered "business class" AKA low end.

6. randomshortguy

randomshortguy
    Expand Collapse

Indeed Intel does not care about SLI support, but there isn't a single H-series motherboard with SLI support, so I'm still right that H-series don't support SLI.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2674031/h97-motherboard-compatible-nvidia-sli.html

Also, H-series are Intel's mid-tier chipset, but it's up to the motherboard manufacturer to decide what features to put on top. While not any give Z-series board is better than any give H-series motherboard, an apples-to-apples comparison puts the Z-series above the H-series.

7. Funky7Monkey

Funky7Monkey
    Expand Collapse

• Like Like x 1
  8. MegaEpicDaniel 2

MegaEpicDaniel 2
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the help I picked a H board instead of Z due to the price and i had to get a new video card because the motherboard that i got supports Pcie 3.0 and i have a video card that supports Pcie 2.0 (dx11) and i got EVGA GTX 950 my current one that I have is Gigabyte HD 6770

9. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Pcie versions are backward and forward compatible. Can run a 3.0 device in a 1.0 slot and vice versa

10. Funky7Monkey

Funky7Monkey
    Expand Collapse

In addition, a PCIe 1.0 16x slot has enough bandwidth for graphics cards, and shouldn't be a bottleneck.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice