I just got a new laptop!

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Kitteh5, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Kitteh5

Kitteh5
    Expand Collapse

2. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

It should be fine for basic games. If you play Gmod on it, don't blow things up.

3. Kitteh5

Kitteh5
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, but I need to get some more RAM for it because Windows 8.1 is a hog. Running Flatgrass bare, Chrome, Spotify, and HWMonitor I hit 88% RAM usage.

4. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

Windows 8.1 isn't a hog. Chrome is, and probably Spotify as well.
    When you play a game, just close everything else.

5. Quannix

Quannix
    Expand Collapse

This is pretty much correct.
    Windows 8 is just a bit of a hog compared to other operating systems, but his problem is most likely Chrome.

6. TheAdmiester

TheAdmiester
    Expand Collapse

Or his PC is filled with crapware. I'm running 8.1, and despite having only 4GB of memory, I rarely go over 80% usage regardless of whether I'm on a game or not.

7. Quannix

Quannix
    Expand Collapse

This is probably it as well.
    IIRC, Dell ships their computers with loads upon loads of bloat.

8. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Windows 8 uses less RAM than previous windows version. With steam going alongside many chrome tabs I have 1.8gb used.

- - - Updated - - -

A metric crap ton, which is hard to achieve as data is effectively massless

9. Kitteh5

Kitteh5
    Expand Collapse

Let's delete some of that bloat, shall we? I will update after.

10. deject3d

deject3d
    Expand Collapse

operating systems are designed to allocate memory to the fullest extent possible. unused ram is wasted ram. just because your os reports that you're using 80% of your ram at some given time it does not mean that you need more. the os will reallocate and page memory as necessary, and you won't even notice unless you're really straining things.

11. Kitteh5

Kitteh5
    Expand Collapse

I am a power user, after all. Deleted a lot of bloatware from the system, and here's the result.
    6683b6e0b9.png

12. Davidbc

Davidbc
    Expand Collapse

Here's mine with Win 8.1 update 1 pro:

usage.png

Programs running: Firefox with a few tabs, windows live mail, media player, real temp, classic shell and gadgets. It is at least 500mb lower than win 8 with the same programs opened.

And for some reason the page file is just 1gb in size, whereas with win 8 it used to be about the same size of my RAM (8gb), I also checked my brother's pc using win 8.1 as well with 4gb RAM and he also has a 1gb page file (windows auto settings)

#12 Davidbc, Aug 2, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
  13. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

My win 7 pagefile was 2gb, its 3gb on brothers netbook. Weird. I don't like to mess with it too much.

14. Svpracer

Svpracer
    Expand Collapse

I just got my mac (specs below) and then learned that Apple gave it a preformance update that I wish I had waited for. :mad: Oh well. I barely use all of that ram though. Sketch up and chrome seem to like it though. Any idea why google likes to use up a lot of system resources?

I actually thought about getting that laptop as well but wanted OSX for all of my movie making - editing.

15. Davidbc

Davidbc
    Expand Collapse

I had my page file disabled in win 8 because I thought it would be faster having everything on the RAM, but then I was forced to enable it after playing Watch Dogs, that game eats ram for breakfast :p, it kept crashing and telling me windows was running out of memory. The first time I enabled it my page file was 14gb in size. The next day it was 11gb, the next day 9gb, and eventually it stabilized in 8gb until I upgraded to 8.1.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice