Importing COLLADA from Cinema4D - Model works, collision doesn't.

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by DasFroDo, Jul 10, 2014.

1. DasFroDo

DasFroDo
    Expand Collapse

Hello Guys!

So as I've been working with 3D-Software for a couple of years I thought: Why not create my own Stunttrack? However, the engine seems to hate me. I've tried a thousand ways to get imported collision to work, but it just doesn't. I'm using Cinema4D and I've found NOTHING about the topic on google. Is there any tutorial explaining step by step how to import a model + collision into the engine, maybe even for Cinema4D? I fear the engine doesn't like the COLLADA's Cinema4D exports...

I've found a video on YouTube where a guy uses the shapeeditor to create the collision. I've followed that tutorial and the mesh does indeed appear as pink outline around the mesh. However, the car just doesn't collide with it. When I go back into the shapeeditor after testing and I click on the mesh I'm asked if I want to save my changes EVERY SINGLE TIME. It's like the engine is not able to save the files. Or am I doing something completely wrong?

Also: If I use "visible mesh" as collision the car ignores it or there is just no collision at all, I don't know.

I hope you guys can help me, I want to wreck cars on my own track :(

[EDIT] This is the tutorial: http://www.beamng.com/threads/7216-...ollision-meshes-(not-visible-mesh-collisions)

#1 DasFroDo, Jul 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  2. ItaliAsian

ItaliAsian
    Expand Collapse

3. DasFroDo

DasFroDo
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the reply!

So basically I have to:

• Model it in Cinema4D
    • Export as COLLADA
    • Import into Blender as COLLADA
    • Clear Location, Scale and Rotation in Blender
    • Export as COLLADA
    • Import into the engine

right?

4. ItaliAsian

ItaliAsian
    Expand Collapse

Yep, that's it. I don't know what causes Cinema 4d's location and rotation to wonk out when exporting. Also you should mess with the shading because it loses the smoothing information from Cinema to Blender.

blender-sword-edit-mesh-smoothing.jpg

5. DasFroDo

DasFroDo
    Expand Collapse

Yeah I noticed that the smoothing informations are gone :/ sucks if you have a complex mesh with smoothinggroups that you set by hand...

The question for me is not WHY does Cinema screw up the information but HOW and WHAT. Because if we knew, wouldn't it be relatively easy to fix it in the COLLADA file? They are XML after all...
    The weird thing is: the model is importing PERFECTLY into the engine when coming directly from C4D. But just the collision is not working. Well, it is working... but not where it should. It's just plain weird as even the collisionmesh displays correctly in the engine, but screws up ingame. Why is that?

- - - Updated - - -

Alright I got it working, thank you!

But now, when I try to reopen the map in the editor OR when I try to play it directly two errors appear:

Failed to create resource: [I_Funbox1Col.dae]
    Failed to create resource: [I_Funbox1.dae]

Before I closed the map and reopened it the collision worked perfectly. Now I get this error and my collision is gone again. However, the mesh is still visible. I just drive through.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice