1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Stuck, Having problems with creating your mod? Let us help you: Mod Support

Solved Increase Differential Output?

Discussion in 'Mod Support' started by Occam's Razer, Dec 6, 2017 at 3:23 AM.

1. Occam's Razer

Occam's Razer
    Expand Collapse

Sorry, I'm gonna re-title and repurpose this thread.

The vehicle I'm working on has exposed mechanical parts that I want to be functional. I've got a differential (the old, pre-powertrain system type) representing two gears, but seeing as one of these gears is far smaller than the other, I want the rotation to be asymmetric: one should be rotating faster than the other.

#1 Occam's Razer, Dec 6, 2017 at 3:23 AM
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2017 at 5:33 AM
  2. Darren9

Darren9
    Expand Collapse

It's the shafts that have an associated electrics value to be used with a prop as a visual rotating "drive-shaft" type part. Your diff will have three shafts, one in and two out, and the output shafts can have different gear ratio's. If you set them up as props they'll spin at the diffs output speed multiplied by their own gear ratio.

In the old system there's only two shaft speeds, engine rpm or wheelspeed, you'll need to upgrade to the new one to have each shaft rotating at it's own correct ratio.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Occam's Razer

Occam's Razer
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, I've been meaning to learn how to use the powertrain system for some time. The issue is that the gears don't really have an input per se, as there actually isn't an engine (it's an unusual vehicle), and there aren't really any references for that in the official content. Moreover, both gears are physical; neither is or can be a prop.

Edit: Wait, figured it out. I forgot about the powertrain visualization app, and how insanely handy it can be. Still, I don't know how to make the gear ratios different for two shafts coming from the same differential.

Edit, again: Ah, didn't know that the 'gearRatio' variable could be added to individual shafts.

#3 Occam's Razer, Dec 6, 2017 at 6:24 PM
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2017 at 11:30 PM
    • Informative Informative x 1