Solved Is it possible to reduce coltris depth?

Discussion in 'Mod Support' started by fufsgfen, Oct 22, 2018.

1. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Coltris has this depth of few centimeters, I would need less than centimeter, but is it possible to reduce that?
    upload_2018-10-22_20-4-11.png

Object is only 5 cm by 5 cm by 10 cm in size, if it is not possible, then I just have to use alternate solution to limit movement, but it would be handy to have limit by coltris/node interaction.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Deleted member 160369

Deleted member 160369
    Expand Collapse

NONCOLLIDABLE coltris might come in handy.

• Like Like x 1
  3. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Oeh noes, I need collisions, skirt needs to collide with a base so that movement range is limited, Bounded beams don't want to co-operate :p

Maybe I just add more of bounded beams and tweak hours on them, it just would be so much more handy with node coltris collisions.

4. estama

estama
    Expand Collapse
    Developer
    BeamNG Team

The colrtri depth cannot be customized. It is 2.5cm on either sides of the coltri (so 5cm in total).

Interesting object that you've created :)

5. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Oh, thanks from the info, it is only 5cm wide object, so coltris is bit too far apart.

Here is video of first test, needs lot of work, but I think with bounded beams I might be able to limit movement enough, just need bit more practice at it.

It uses quite light nodes, total weight is 0.38kg for the object (spammed pic from development screens), so my space ship test was over 4.3 million metric tons and this is other end of testing I guess, Blijo has much lighter paper boat though, but without his work I would of not got this done:

--- Post updated ---
    Ah, Ah, I'm bit slow, because of the issue that Marilyn Monroe had, wind can be quite ... :D

I keep forgetting that wind goes trough coltris, so it is like driving without windshield :p

• Like Like x 5
  6. estama

estama
    Expand Collapse
    Developer
    BeamNG Team

Funky :) !

Also both lightweight and heavy nodes are problematic for physics engines stability wise. I'm always holding my breath when people stress test the physics core in these ways. And i'm also relieved when the core holds up :p .

• Like Like x 3
  7. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

You have not seen this though, most incredible thing is that it flies with thrusters, it can even get lift after some 1400kph, it is most impressive that BeamNG can handle this, I did not believe even small moment that it would work, but it does, it is really incredible how well engine scales up to this kind of weight, only issue is that this ship is over 600 meters long and kinda disappears easily, but physics they work, that is incredible, insanely incredible, this mass is so big that it is far beyond any scope, yet engine delivers, I doubt there is anything else out there that can do this:

8. Blijo

Blijo
    Expand Collapse

To kinda hijack the thread. Does the simulation of pressuregroups use the inside of the coltris by any chance? Because that would explain why my Paperboat(https://www.beamng.com/resources/paperboat.5838/) doesn't float :(.

9. tdev

tdev
    Expand Collapse
    Developer
    BeamNG Team

o_O Will have a look ...

• Like Like x 2
  10. tdev

tdev
    Expand Collapse
    Developer
    BeamNG Team

Ok, i think we fixed it. It did not take the vehicle size into consideration for the fading ....
    We simply didn't expect such big things ...

Where can i get it for testing? Zip via PM please? :)

#10 tdev, Oct 25, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  11. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

I sent ship as PM, because it is not releasable at it's current form, but should work for render distance testing, thank you from looking into that, we can start dreaming bigger again :)

12. estama

estama
    Expand Collapse
    Developer
    BeamNG Team

Yes the simulation of pressuregroups works like real life pressure. It applies a force from the inside towards the outside. For things to float they need to be a closed pressuregroup surface.

13. estama

estama
    Expand Collapse
    Developer
    BeamNG Team

This is really really impressive. It is completely out of my the expectations, i'm surprised that it works so well. You have an affinity towards extreme testing of the physics :) .

• Like Like x 2
  14. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Have to break it from both extremes, then you know the golden middle :)
    --- Post updated ---
    I was going to make my flying wing much smaller originally, just about 20cm wide, but then I noticed how these coltris are getting confused, so I made it as small as possible, thickness is so small that it became close to 1.7 meters until coltris did stay where they should, when observed with collision mesh debug.

Control surfaces are still bit small, so there is bit of overlapping on those.

So, anything less than 5cm between two coltris surfaces is starting to have issues, I think.

Having smaller coltris depth would probably be then problematic for the collision detection at the speed, so upscaling might be something that is needed.

15. tdev

tdev
    Expand Collapse
    Developer
    BeamNG Team

Thanks @fufsgfen for the test case and the files, we fixed the fading distance to be 10x the size of the object :)

• Like Like x 3
  16. Blijo

Blijo
    Expand Collapse

But the boat has it and still explodes, even with a pressure of 0, that does not really make sense to me. It is stable enough to move with hydros but it is not able to use pressuregroups. I would expect that adding a pressuregroup would not add extra stress/forces on a body on normal conditions (ground level). Do you know why this happens or even better, how to fix it?

17. Taza

Taza
    Expand Collapse

I too had these problems when I was trying to mod something light and floating, well over a year ago. I never got it to work tho, everytime I added a pressuregroup the part would start flying in random directions and explode.

Maybe the pressure needs to be defined as atm + desired pressure over atm? Idk. Would like know why it explodes tho.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice