Is it really not possible to quick save a map layout?

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by Mockduck, Jun 7, 2018.

1. Mockduck

Mockduck
    Expand Collapse

Forgive me for not knowing the technical terms, but I'm looking to set up a blank grid map with some objects then save the layout so that the next time I boot up the same I can load the layout.

I am the father of a six year old who is really into BeamNG Drive due to its popularity on YouTube, and because crashing things is awesome. :) What I'm trying to do is to create a cool crash course on a blank grid map, save the elements/layout that I've created, then quick load it the next time we play so I don't have to rebuild the course every time we want to play.

I can't for the life of me seem to figure out how to do this! I can hit Save from the circular UI menu, but it only loads for that particular session of the game. When the game is next loaded, the save is gone. I've tried doing a Save As in the F11 World Editor, but keep getting an error message.

Any help, or is this just not something the game supports?

2. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

How are you creating this course?
    With the world editor (F11), or spawning props from the selector and moving them with the node-grabber?
    (in short, it's made out of static objects, or physical props)

You can save/load set of objects on a map easily by using prefabs. That will also not modify the level itself, so it's a win-win.
    To do so, create your course. In the level editor then select your object and click on 'Group'.

Right click on the newly created group and choose 'Pack Prefab':

It will ask you where to save that. Usually you should save it in Documents/BeamNG.drive/level/CurrentLevelName/

It will save this .prefab file in that location.
    Every time you load that map, you can quickly load that 'set of objects' in that prefab by going in Library > Prefabs

NOTE: As soon you add the prefab, you more likely need to move it to coordinates 0,0,0

NOTE2: If your prefab contains physical objects, pause the physics first (J), so they don't fall into the oblivion before you replace your prefab at 0,0,0.

If you want to edit your prefab, simply right-click it (from the SCENE tab) and choose 'Unpack prefab'.
    Do your edits, move any new objects you added under that group and repack basically.

Do not save your level, it's not required (prefab only is saved as soon you pack it) and you'll not risk of breaking your level.

3. Mockduck

Mockduck
    Expand Collapse

Thank you very much, this looks like exactly what I am seeking. I will mess around with it. I assume by "Level Editor" you mean the default reached by pressing F11?

4. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

Yes, that's what we call World Editor (F11)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice