Is the forest editor broken, or is it just me.

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by Ewanc, May 24, 2017.

1. Ewanc

Ewanc
    Expand Collapse

Today I started making a forests to finish up a level, and Ive hit a wall. The brushes are all grayed out when I try to paint. I dug through the files and found a few new ones in the level's folder namely; main.forestbrushes.json. It seems to be generated from the brushes.cs, but its missing all of the ForestItemData lines. Back in the editor I notice that if I assign a tree object to this property, the brush will work, and the line will be saved in the new file, but this would need to be done to tons of brushes to get back to where I can build a forest.

I opened East Coast USA, which is the level I'm borrowing assets from, and notice it has the same grayed out brushes and blank ForestItemData lines.

Is there a quick fix for the brushes?

--- Post updated ---

Just did a search and found a couple of threads that described the same problem, but the solution is also the same, so I'll just put trees on hold till they sort this out.

#1 Ewanc, May 24, 2017
    Last edited: May 24, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Dummiesman

Dummiesman
    Expand Collapse

Yep, giant pain. :(

Mine wouldn't even save back to the .json file several times, and even crashed the game several times! The games editor is in an extremely broken, and nearly unusable state atm.

The fastest way is probably editing the JSON file manually.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. LJFHutch

LJFHutch
    Expand Collapse
    Environment Artist
    BeamNG Team

Check to make sure the bushes have a linked vegetation file:

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Benster1979

Benster1979
    Expand Collapse

Yup... that caught me out when I was making my level. I stumbled through it. :)

5. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

Noticed this as well. Had to re-assign meshes to all the brushes.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice