1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.30 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

Is there any way I can put an additional modification slot on a modded vehicle?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by The_Tekkit_101 2, Jan 2, 2020.

1. The_Tekkit_101 2

The_Tekkit_101 2
    Expand Collapse

Read the title, it may help.

2. Taza

Taza
    Expand Collapse

Yeah just add it, no reason a slot named like that would be for official content only

3. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

You would have to file it under "additional modifications" if I remember correctly its how the unbreakable engine block mod was filed under in the game code

4. NOCARGO

NOCARGO
    Expand Collapse

Just find the car's mod_parts slot and copy it but rename it like mod_parts2 or so...
    If you don't change the description (like I do) then there's just two slots called 'Additional Modification' showing up. :)

5. The_Tekkit_101 2

The_Tekkit_101 2
    Expand Collapse

where is this mod_parts slot?
    --- Post updated ---
    so, pretty sure I figured out where it is, in the car's jbeam. Copied the line of code where it says "(car name here)_mod" at the top, and made sure to rename it to "Camso_mod" (as i'm doing this on a car made in automation). loaded up the game and it didn't show up, is there anything im doing wrong? By the way, I've ever only messed with jbeam when I messed with a car's engine, so basically im not really versed in it.

6. Inertia

Inertia
    Expand Collapse

Not difficult to do at all, but much harder when people are giving you the wrong info ;)
    Basically, make your jbeam file (make sure its in the right folder, I assume you already know how to do that), take note of the vehicle codename (200BX: coupe, Grand Marshall: fullsize etc) and make sure the slotType (no. 2 in 2nd pic) is "vehicleCodename_mod" where vehicleCodename is the one you noted, eg "coupe_mod". You can always check that it's named what you think it is by opening the main jbeam file for that vehicle, "coupe.jbeam" in this case, and check the slots:
    upload_2020-1-5_17-42-17.png

Now with your slotType named it should be working, however I STRONGLY urge you to name the actual part name (no. 1 in 2nd pic) to be in the format "authorName_vehicleCodename_partName" so that any chance of it being overwritten (unless thats the goal which is a bit of a grey area esp for repo mods) is virtually eliminated.
    upload_2020-1-5_17-46-6.png
    With that done, should work :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. The_Tekkit_101 2

The_Tekkit_101 2
    Expand Collapse

thanks, I'll try it out rn ^^
    --- Post updated ---
    So for automation cars, there's multiple spaces in the codename of the car, this one being Model 55 Trim 48 upload_2020-1-4_23-0-6.png
    What do I do? You put underscores for spaces but idk, just wanna be sure I guess.

8. Inertia

Inertia
    Expand Collapse

Do not use spaces unless you are sure it's only something that will be displayed for the UI, change the spaces there to underscores and you should have no issues.

9. The_Tekkit_101 2

The_Tekkit_101 2
    Expand Collapse

So for automation cars, there's multiple spaces in the codename of the car, this one being Model 55
    So I don't have these partname things that are in the coupe's file, I really have no clue where to go after "Now with your slotType named it should be working"
    I think im doing it right?
    idk
    found the codename deeper in the file
    upload_2020-1-4_23-12-0.png
    yeah, still doesnt show up.

#9 The_Tekkit_101 2, Jan 5, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
  10. Inertia

Inertia
    Expand Collapse

Can you send both the main jbeam file and the file you want to add to the mod slot, so I can make some more sense of it?

11. The_Tekkit_101 2

The_Tekkit_101 2
    Expand Collapse

12. Alex_Farmer557

Alex_Farmer557
    Expand Collapse

You don't need a third party hosting service when the forum has one...

13. The_Tekkit_101 2

The_Tekkit_101 2
    Expand Collapse

surprise, i didn't know that either lmao

14. Inertia

Inertia
    Expand Collapse

The mod slot is fine, but the problem lies in the mod you are trying to make appear in the mod slot, since the author of that mod only designed it for official vehicles. The engines in that pack simply have no idea that your vehicle even exists if that makes sense, as they need a folder for each vehicle (fullsize, coupe, etk800 etc) and then the correct slotType in the part for it to show under the part selector. You will have to make a separate engine part that is in the correct folder structure for the vehicle you are trying to add to. Will be a lot easier if you just copy over the engine jbeams from one of the mod's vehicle folders to the automation car's main folder, and change the slotType to be the correct "....._mod" name.

15. The_Tekkit_101 2

The_Tekkit_101 2
    Expand Collapse

Would that involve changing anything other than just the slotType? like, would the name of the engine file matter? would any part inside the file have to be changed other than the slotType is what I'm asking. Gonna try messing around with this method now.

Okay so I get what you mean, not the entire engine file but just the mod engine files. The thing is, this mod only has an 'addon.jbeam' file, so youre telling me to add the mod slot on the car jbeam, then change this addon.jbeam file so it has the codename of the car, then just put the addon.jbeam in the car's files?

Another update, just tried it, mod slot didn't show up.

#15 The_Tekkit_101 2, Jan 7, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
  16. GameRusher1234

GameRusher1234
    Expand Collapse

LOL! I was also trying to do the same thing today and found this old thread in search of some help, well @Inertia i tried adding a new folder to the mod named after my car's code name and dragging my mod car to games main folder i.e. content/vehicles, and also added a line for additional modification slot to the mod, it's still not showing up. I hope i could get some help, but seeing that this thread is too old idk if I will get a reply, looking forward for a reply.

17. Agent_Y

Agent_Y
    Expand Collapse
    Jbeam/QA support
    BeamNG Team

This all depends on what exactly you are trying to do, it won't just magically appear like that unless the mod is making use of the common folder, and even then you need A LOT of work to get it to work properly. Maybe if you explain what mod it is and what you are trying to do someone can help.

18. GameRusher1234

GameRusher1234
    Expand Collapse

I am trying to put a turbo on an automation exported vehicle through a mod called turbo everything mod. the mod sits in a slot called additional modification that is available in every in-game vehicle. the mod uses its own files to determine which car it's supposed to be on. By adding a folder to the mod's files we can get the mod to know the there is a vehicle called [YOUR VEHICLE NAME]. all that is already done and now I am trying to the additional modification slot to the vehicle to work, but i am not able to get it to work.

19. Agent_Y

Agent_Y
    Expand Collapse
    Jbeam/QA support
    BeamNG Team

That's easy, just open the main Jbeam file of any car and copy the slot from it, then open the Automation car file and paste it there, and change the name of the slot to whatever you put in the mod as the slot name.

20. GameRusher1234

GameRusher1234
    Expand Collapse

i have found a way of doing it, and i uploaded a video se this

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice