Is this a good system for BeamNG and video editing? (i5-7500&GTX1070)

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by cardriver96, Feb 9, 2017.

1. cardriver96

cardriver96
    Expand Collapse

Hey everyone, so I'm looking to build my first PC which I plan to use for both BeamNG drive as well as video editing as I like to post montages of the game on my YouTube channel. I plan to play the game at 1080p so does my build on pcpartpicker seem like an appropriate one for those uses?

Link: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/T8Ybd6

My preferred GPU for this build is the GTX1070 Strix. Do you guys think I should go for this GPU or for a 1060 instead? Also what do you guys think about the 1070 pairing with the i5-7500 CPU and the other components of the build? The absolute top end of my budget is $2000 CDN.

Any suggestions and recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

2. BombBoy4

BombBoy4
    Expand Collapse

Yes. Short on time so will provide more help later.

3. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

I would think that as how currently BeamNG is, 1060 and 1070 for 1080p might not offer as much difference as faster CPU paired with 1060, of course it is very difficult to tell what future brings, but as a general rule, it is easier to adjust graphical details bit down without too much loss on visual quality, while it is very difficult to get one or two more vehicles to run with as little effect on visual quality.

I have i7-6700 and while it is fine (if I would of not got it as cheap as I got, I would of not get it), k model would be bit faster and to really be able to stop worrying about CPU power, I believe a workstation build would be needed, but that goes out of your budget as they are really expensive.

If you are willing to overclock, pick CPU with letter K at the end of model number and you might be able to get little bit more performance out from the CPU and thus better value per spent money, however overclocking is not always working out well and with Kabylake it is even more hit or miss what I have heard, delidding CPU is certainly not for everyone.

Some might recommend cheaper motherboard, but I'm one of opinion that motherboard is what stability of system is built on, so worth to invest, again your preferences matter more than anything else.

NVME SSD might be something to look into too, you can get Samsung 961 OEM models at good price if you find one, so that and CPU would be my tips to invest if degrading to 1060 GPU.

Another bit that catches my eye is that memory, 2133 is slowing things down a bit, you can gain some performance up to 2666, maybe up to 2800, but after that there is less increase in performance. Again performance gains vary from title to title in this and I'm not sure how it is with BeamNG, but as it is quite CPU hungry and uses good amount of RAM, you might want to go for faster RAM.

Also get 16GB if anyway possible, I kept running out of 8GB quite often and video editing likes to eat RAM with some programs, one I tried took 5GB of ram just at startup, some maps (Tennessee) in BeamNG really need more than 8GB.

With 16GB you don't need to worry about if you have browser open while recording gaming video. I think that minimum memory for BeamNG should be 8GB while recommended 16GB, but that is again with some mods, official content probably don't use more than 8GB, but haven't really examined this, I know it can get close to 8GB, then you have to add video recording or whatever you need to run.

So more memory over more cpu and less GPU over more cpu would be that in short, I guess.

4. Funky7Monkey

Funky7Monkey
    Expand Collapse

You'd be much better off with an i7-7700K (or non-K), because the hyperthreading significantly improves performance with video editing. In addition, an NVMe M.2 SSD will serve you much better than a SATA SSD (the Intel 600p series is a very good choice). 16GB of RAM will also improve performance gaming and video editing. If you plan to overclock your CPU, you will need a -K CPU, and a Z-series motherboard chipset. If not, a non-K CPU and H- or B-series motherboard will do. I've adjusted your parts list (including using Canadian retailers) and have a few options for you. If you plan to overclock your CPU, an i7-7700K with a GTX 1060 6GB (here) or a RX 480 (here) will quite well. If not, an i7-7700 with a GTX 1070 (here) will be good, and if you're willing to go a bit overbudget, a 1440p monitor will be appropriate with the GTX 1070 (here). If possible, I recommend getting a DVD drive out of an old computer, rather than buying a new one.

I personally would wait a month for AMD's Ryzen CPUs to be released, as they look to provide similar performance at a lower price, and the release will surely lower Intel CPU prices.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. cardriver96

cardriver96
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for your thorough recommendations guys and this is what makes PC building somewhat of a frustrating process with all those options out there. Now first of all it seems like pcpartpicker has detected compatibility problems with the M2 SSD. Also is that SSD directly connected to the mother board because I'm not sure how it would fit on the case if placed vertically (perpendicular to the motherboard)? I also don't plan on overclocking but does it provide a lot more performance than a regular CPU and would it require additional cooling such as water cooling? The reason why I initially chose the Z270-E motherboard is because it included wifi so if you guys know of a cheaper motherboard that has built in wifi please let me know and since the Ryzen CPUs are coming out soon then I should probably leave the CPU for later on and get the other parts first.

6. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Sorry, haven't looked that specific motherboard, but many higher feature set motherboards have M2 slot, if not, you can use expansion card that plugs into PCI-E socket to get M2 drive installed and that often is good choice for cooling as well. M2 drives are found inside of laptops, they don't really care about horizontal or vertical.

I'm not big fan of overclocking, needs strong PSU, strong cooling, can be noisy and life of components might get less, also these days it is quite small amount performance increase you can get from overclocking, you don't see 50% overclocks anymore, however I recommend you to search kaby lake overclocking from your favorite search engine to see what is possible.

When AsRock motherboards came to market, we had really bad experience with them, I have avoided them like a plague ever since, but it is popular board these days and many claim there is no issues with them, it is somewhat lower cost brand, so you might want to explore that if saving costs, but I personally would go for known reliable brands with motherboard.

7. Funky7Monkey

Funky7Monkey
    Expand Collapse

The compatibility problem isn't an issue. It disables only one SATA port. And height isn't an issue either, most M.2 slots are horizontal mount, and M.2 drives aren't long enough to be a problem mounted vertically.
    It will provide better performance than without it. Water cooling isn't necessary, the air cooler that I included in the OC builds is very good, and competes with AIO water coolers.
    There are a number of mITX boards for around 150-175 CAD that have wifi.
    Don't. You may be able to buy better parts overall once Ryzen is released.

8. cardriver96

cardriver96
    Expand Collapse

Is this the type of SSD you are talking about? https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147398&cm_re=m2_ssd-_-20-147-398-_-Product

The reason why I brought up overclocking is because I was looking at an i5-6600k again due to its good price but I still don't know what to choose as a CPU...

Also, just as you say that about ASRock lol, it turns out that the Z270E has already been sold out so I was just looking at an ASRock motherboard which with the discounts and rebates goes down to about $200. This is the one I'm talking about: https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produ...rebbr=1&_ga=1.143132725.1820298440.1485031067 The reviews seem great compared to that Asus Z270E so if it's actually a good motherboard then I might as well pull the trigger and order one.

9. cardriver96

cardriver96
    Expand Collapse

Alright I guess I'll go with the M2 SSD and I can wait until the Ryzen release but thing is that I haven't uploaded on YouTube for quite a while and it feels like all the deals would go away lol.

10. Funky7Monkey

Funky7Monkey
    Expand Collapse

Intel CPU prices will drop when Ryzen is released. Competition always does that. Whether you choose AMD or Intel, it will be less expensive when Ryzen comes.

11. cardriver96

cardriver96
    Expand Collapse

Hopefully the i7 prices go down to about $300 but do you happen to know the exact release date for the Ryzen?

12. Funky7Monkey

Funky7Monkey
    Expand Collapse

Early March, as confirmed by AMD. I haven't seen an exact date, but this close, there's no reason for it to be delayed.

13. cardriver96

cardriver96
    Expand Collapse

#13 cardriver96, Feb 10, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice