Is this gas boiler safe?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic' started by Michaelflat, Sep 2, 2018.

1. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

Yellow flame is bad, but this is mostly a blue flame... Opinions?
    It's a 2005 Ideal Classic SE 15 FF (if that helps). Not that old really. But hasn't been serviced in in awhile. Last repair was the flue fan, it was squealing so needed a new one. (bearing went bad)

2. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Nothing wrong, it will blow up just fine...

Internet might not give best answers on this, I don't have any idea about boilers, but generally when burning gas, you want steady blue flame, if it fluctuates or flashes yellow at times, then there is something that is not at best adjustment.

Might be for example too little oxygen, but just enough to have constant burn, or something leaking some place.

So, you need to call professional, at very least thing needs an adjustment, I would guess.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

Yeah I looked around and the flicks of yellow I think are due to insufficient oxygen. The yellow flame burns bad so leaves soot behind, causing less oxygen and so it gradually gets worse. Only issue here is that it's coming close to winter, this is about the time people turn on their heating and find these issues. I really should have looked at the boiler beforehand :p

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

That is how it tends to be for everyone, human being forgets quickly and can't see very far to future, it is just how it is :)

5. Mr.Blueboy

Mr.Blueboy
    Expand Collapse

Looks like it's burning just fine. ;)

6. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Mates a gas engineer, just says get it a good service if it hasn't been done in awhile

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

Thanks, it'll get a service when the heating season ends I suppose, maybe May. Yes the boiler does hot water but mainly heating and plumbers know that and charge more.

8. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Plumbers rarely have gas Safe certification, never get anyone who does not have a valid gas Safe certification to touch your boiler

• Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice