Just some cool ideas

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by Harkin Gaming, Dec 15, 2016.

1. Harkin Gaming

Harkin Gaming
    Expand Collapse

Hello everyone, I just have a few ideas I would like to share.

WARNING: this may have been mentioned before, but I cannot find another thread regarding this topic.

I recently had this wonderful idea: What if we could design our own car parts ingame. I got the general idea from Need for Speed Prostreet, where you are able to make custom body parts for your cars by stretching different dimensions of the fenders and bumpers. If there was a way to do this in the game by using its own editor (that stretchs the models and jBeam simultaneously), that would be amazing. Another possible thing you could do with that idea is if you were to have preset vents that could be moved around and placed on the car. The entire idea would be complemented by an ingame paint editor. No pressure Devs, I know that is a lot to do, but I'm just putting some of my ideas out there so modders and Devs can see.

Harkin Labs Gaming

• Like Like x 2
  2. atv_123

atv_123
    Expand Collapse

Well, while this could be potentially possible in some external editor (or an internal one if the integrated it into the game). The editor would have to run on its own engine because the Beam engine itself does not allow for modification of the JBeam on the fly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Harkin Gaming

Harkin Gaming
    Expand Collapse

That is what I am talking about, an editor integrated into the game that allows beams to be moddified on the fly, and I am aware of the many restrictions that my ideas are blocked by, but eventually as the game evolves, then maybe a dev tool like that could be POSSIBLY integrated. This is something that is definitely not possible atm, but could be made with a lot of hard work, but probably not within the next 2-3 years. Hopefully we can somehow get to that point after engine updates and other improvements have happened, there could be a possibility of it becoming a feature. But considering the amount of time and work that would have to be done for this to get to that stage, I am not stressing it. I know that the Devs are very hard working people, and my idea would be VERY hard to accomplish.

#3 Harkin Gaming, Dec 15, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  4. atv_123

atv_123
    Expand Collapse

Actually, I don't think it would be as difficult as you think it might be. All of the elements already exist in the engine to possibly make it work (now that I have sat and thought about it for a little while). Now, we know that JBeams can not be modified on the fly while running in the Beam engine. So having live modification is out of the question... however, the entire rest of the system (ie., graphics, mesh rendering, so on and so forth) should, in theory, be unaffected. This can be seen by being able to pause the physics engine, or just completely crashing it all together, and still being able to move the cameras around and, in general, look at your vehicle and the environment.

So what would need to be done for this to work, is just add a new JBeam loading system. It would essentially load in the JBeam file, and then hold it there, statically... just like all the other JBeam modifiers did that were created by the community. What could be left intact, is the flexbody engine (not that it is its own engine at all... just reuse that part of the code) so that when the position of a node of modified, it would stretch the mesh out as well. Then once the mesh is stretched to its new size and shape, the game could just take a snapshot of the model and create a new model for itself out of that. That way, this model would now be the standard, undeformed, model.

If the flexbody code can be separated and added in wherever it needs to be, this could, in theory, not be all that terribly difficult (Still difficult, but nothing compared to what they have already accomplished) to implement. That being said, however, the fact that there is a lack of official vehicle building software outright makes me think that they probably won't implement something like this.

5. Harkin Gaming

Harkin Gaming
    Expand Collapse

Yeah that is kind of what I was thinking of myself. The map editor is what I would envision it as.

6. Regenworm

Regenworm
    Expand Collapse

I am very confused, can you make own parts in prostreet?
    Well, the thing is i am only 14 so i played prostreet as a kid who cant play games because well, kids are shit at games.
    How can you do that in prostreet?

7. atv_123

atv_123
    Expand Collapse

He is talking about the AutoSculpt feature that was introduced back in NFS Carbon (great game... should go and play it if you haven't) which allowed you to modify or "sculpt" certain aspects of the parts that you added to the vehicle (bumpers, side skirts, hoods, wings, you name it really). This allowed you to build the car exactly the way that you wanted with no exceptions. Come NFS ProStreet, and it was mostly used for changing the aerodynamic effects of the car from downforce to speed. It was in the part where they showed the air running over the car and you could "tune" the body parts to suite your needs.

8. Regenworm

Regenworm
    Expand Collapse

Allright , thanks. I should check that out. And I had NFS Carbon because someone gave it or something ( idk that was like a couple of years ago) but it didnt work

9. Harkin Gaming

Harkin Gaming
    Expand Collapse

Back on topic, if they implement this in the career at some point it would be cool to see the editing done on a virtual computer like in car mechanic simulator 2015. Although, the Devs (if this actually becomes a part of the game) could base it off of the map editor.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice