Lack of Soft-Body Objects

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by Ghost187, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Ghost187

Ghost187
    Expand Collapse

hi, im aware that BeamNG-Drive is a car simulator and primary something for Automobile enthusiasts and thats fine...
    but:
    when i first encountered the website i was kind of misslead by statements like:

"BeamNG is a young startup company developing a state of the art real time physics simulation engine"
    "Our main focus is on how things move rather than how things look on the screen. We aim to bring our expertise in real time soft-body physics and soft-body physics model design to the forefront of game physics simulation"
    "To have realistic, accurate, destructible and malleable physics everywhere. To make anything possible."

i bought it after that... and as a physics enthusiast im kinda dissapointed that all im getting now are discussions over Automobile-specifications a non Car interested person couldnt care less about.
    its such a waste of potential only focusing on Automobile enthusiast stuff in my eyes when there is so much more that can be done with the J-Beam technique.
    (actually its just lacking things to interact with)
    and im surely not learn how to J-beam myself (even though i tried) simply because im not felling like fullfilling someone elses promises, especaly when i honestly paid for it... wich is really rarely the case.

so my question: will there be a BeamNG-Bend or something that focuses more on Soft-Body Physics than the cars themselves at any point of time?
    or am i just unpatient with the early state of development?

dont get me wrong, i love BeamNG... just something i wanted to say.

Ghost

2. jammin2222

jammin2222
    Expand Collapse

I had wondered if it was possible to make static objects bend when you hit them too. I know that if you spawn a second car and change the car into the steel barrel you can deform the barrel when crashing into it with the other car. I think there is a sign post and some other objects too but i haven't tried them all. It would be fun to have a garage door that would bend, a lamp post that would fold over or a wooden fence that splintered when you hit it hard enough though. I guess all these things are possible given time. As for if these ideas make it into the finished product i am in no position to answer that. This is still in Alpha, so its early days.

3. Davidbc

Davidbc
    Expand Collapse

Right now objects are too buggy and clip through the cars. It will be fixed when they add what they call ''thickness'' to nodes/beams, so I expect a lot more objects by then.

4. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

I've said this before many times, and I'll repeat myself: soft-body physics objects (as part of the terrain) are not yet possible because of 3 features that are not yet coded: fixing an object to the terrain, rotating its spawn, and disabling its physics when it is not being interacted with. When those 3 things are working, we can have anything - deformable trees, guard rails, street signs, whatever. There are already some deformable objects included in the game which you can test (like road signs and steel barrels).

• Like Like x 1
  5. Cardinal799

Cardinal799
    Expand Collapse

I can't wait for SB objects in the levels, but I would rather have working, fast levels, instead of rich, computer frying levels.

6. pulley999

pulley999
    Expand Collapse

How about having an option where you can chose whether to load environment models with jbeam or use Torque collision faces instead? OP should look for Nadeox1's interactive objects thread to hold him over.

7. Ghost187

Ghost187
    Expand Collapse

sorry for that. fully sadisfied by your answer. thx.

- - - Updated - - -

aware of it. still waiting for the rocks ;) ...but i tend to dream bigger.
    anyway thx.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice