Laptop constantly plugged in, draining battery

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by 98crownvic, Mar 29, 2018.

1. 98crownvic

98crownvic
    Expand Collapse

This isn’t a huge issue or anything, just something I was kinda curious about. My 09 Compaq Presario CQ-60 615-DX Notebook (stupidly long name) is always plugged in. I pretty much use it as a desktop. However, recently, I switched my power plan to High Performance from HP Recommended. My battery icon says that my computer is plugged in, but not charging, and I wouldn’t be surprised if the battery is shot. The thing I was wondering about though, was how the battery was draining without it ever being unplugged?

2. Sithhy™

Sithhy™
    Expand Collapse

Too high power draw from the CPU so the power brick can't keep up

3. GageH.

GageH.
    Expand Collapse

Same thing happens to me but the laptop just fucking shuts off since it has a surge protector

4. DuneWulff

DuneWulff
    Expand Collapse

My ASUS currently has the same issue. Battery is completely toast, and it is buried deep within the computer (requires you to remove the top screen and fans).
    You can "trick" the computer into thinking it is still good if you let it die, then plug it in and re-start it. The battery will now say it is charging, and although it is... it won't hold that charge for any amount of time.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice