Lat/Long, Date, Proper Sun Path in World Editor?

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by B3_Burner, Mar 15, 2019.

1. B3_Burner

B3_Burner
    Expand Collapse

I'm curious if there are any plans in the works to improve the TOD interface in either the World Editor or the in-game user menus, to incorporate real time and date selections-- and not just a generic slider, or "decimal days" in the world editor?
    Also establishing specific latitude/longitude specifications might help make sunrise and sunset-- during various time of the year-- as well as sun paths across the sky more accurate. Is this possible or even worth working on in the future? I hear you are considering a rework of the World Editor. Maybe this can be incorporated?
    I sometimes navigate and establish direction intuitively by sun position and shadows, if I can establish a virtual time of day. This accuracy has been established in Flight Simulation (which I'm already familiar with). I'm curious how difficult it would be to bring this same level of accuracy to Beam NG?

Pictures & graphs are worth a thousand words and are probably more effective than just words or data alone.

1. If I go into F11/World Editor/TOD, and adjust the "Axis Tilt", I can change the noon sun elevation (or angular distance off zenith if you prefer the opposite expression), by chosen number of degrees (+ to the north, - south). This will also change the sun rise & sunset azimuth (compass heading) to the same extent... but errs in the sense that it assumes there's a 1:1 ratio between noon sun elevation (or displacement off the zenith) and rise/set azimuth off the east-west line respectively, and this simply doesn't hold up anywhere else in the world EXCEPT the equator:

[I don't have an image uploading URL, and don't understand how to do that, so click on the thumbnail #1 below, to see the full sized picture in question]

2. f I use the East Coast, USA map as an example where we assume it to be Maine and about 45°N lat, the relationship between noon sun elevation and rise/set azimuth at summer, spring/fall, and winter is much more skewed as it should be. The noon sun is decidedly to the south all times of the year, and the rise and set azimuths are able to pull well to the north of due east & west by June 21st solstice:

[I don't have an image uploading URL, and don't understand how to do that, so click on the thumbnail #2 below, to see the full sized picture in question]

At present you simply can't replicate these conditions on world editor and gain the desired results of sun position and shadows as expected. It works well for any map where an equatorial location is assumed ("Jungle Island" comes to mind?), but there are many locations outside the tropics thus far.

I should also point out that I'm already of aware of "Azimuth Override" as an additional adjustment, but this has no direct effect on correcting azimuth error while keeping elevation offset intact. Rather, it simply rotates the virtual "EAST-WEST" line in relation to the overall map orientation, and assumes the sun always rises due east & sets due west (which can only happen on Equinox). In all instances 'Azimuth Override' automatically disables 'Axis Tilt' and the sun will rise due east, straight up, go straight overhead at noon, and set straight down due west. Again, not a realistic scenario-- unless you're on the Equator during the Equinox.

Creating a second point of light is not something I've studied yet. If that creates a doable solution then I'm all ears if somebody has knowledge on how to handle this.

Attached Files:

• 1BeamNGWordEditorAssumedsunpathsincorrectexceptatEquator.jpg
    • 2Correctsunpathsfor45-degnorthlat--exampMaineECA.jpg
    #1 B3_Burner, Mar 15, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. CN877

CN877
    Expand Collapse

Very interesting suggestion, It would certainly be nice to see added in the future. I'm not sure how difficult it would be to implement though. :)

Also, for future reference, when you upload an image and want it to be part of your post rather than an attachment you can click on 'insert: thumbnail' beside your image when editing.

3. tdev

tdev
    Expand Collapse
    Developer
    BeamNG Team

We know the current implementation lacks a lot, however we got to focus on the most important things first. Stay tuned :)

• Informative Informative x 3
  4. B3_Burner

B3_Burner
    Expand Collapse

I understand. Thank you for your reply.
    --- Post updated ---
    Thank you for the thumbnail suggestion. I’ll give it a try in an edit at some point.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice